Ranger Re-Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger Re-Deux

Longish story short: Bought a used Polaris Ranger Crew off of here. It's pretty beat but the price was right and I like projects.

From what i gather it was a well-used hog dog rig so it's got bumps and bruises and it's fair share of duct tape patches. Runs decent but didn't drive all that well (i'll get there) but was as-advertised.

I've wanted one for a while and we have some in the family but nothing that lives at the lake/hunting grounds full time. I refuse to pay for a new one so i've been on the hunt for a used one.

Took my dad with me, stole my wife's yukon since my truck was in the shop and picked it up.

Dad and I haven't talked that much in a short period in years so it was nice to spend half the day in the car with him.

Spent the weekend with my folks and making plans on what to do...
    I figured since it wasn't mine and I didn't know the service records we would change all of the fluids, filters, plugs, etc.

Also needed at least one CV shaft. Other one is holding up but I ordered a set so I've got a spare under the seat.

The Dogs Had Ruined the Seats so I got a local trim guy to recover them

looking good

Comment

Spent last Saturday Changing Every Single Fluid this thing has... Had my oldest boy helping me which was fun for both of us... Funny how much stuff gets trapped in the "skid plates" of these things. This thing was probably carrying around 300lbs of dirt, mud, rocks,and what not crammed into every corner.

While Changing Fluids I noticed a few oil leaks so I set out to find those...
      Replaced:
      -Valve Cover O-ring
      - Valve Cover Breather (Plastic one warps so I found an aftermarket billet one)
      - o-ring at the base of the dipstick.
      So far no oil leaks that I have found but it does smoke a little now and then. Might need a rebuild at some point but runs fine for now.

The Metal Roof was pretty beat up from low hanging fruit I'd assume so I set out to work on that as well.

Comment

Front Bumper got a little love as well. I looked around on ebay and replacement can be had for cheapish but I will just end up denting and scraping a new one. So $5 of hammered finish later it looks decent.

That's pretty much where I'm at today... Few little things to do this weekend and then it's headed back to the lake for a while. Me and the boy installed a new drive belt last night as well.

Projects for soon:
        -Floorboards have seen better days. I'm lucky to have a vendor/buddy with all the metal fab equipment I could ever dream of so he and I are working on templates for aluminum or diamond plate "floor covers"... There are plenty out there but I can't seem to find them for this exact model. Also helps that I can trade work with him.

-Front Wheel Bearings: They are pretty close to toast but still working. I've ordered some and should be able to get them done before we bail out thursday.

- Light bars: I've got a 40" and 2x 20"s new in the packge. Deciding if they should make their way onto this thing and where they should go.

Projects for Later:

-Winch: I've got a polaris/warn winch I've had forever but I'm not sure it fits. I completely forgot about it until my dad reminded me this week. It's new in the box in the rafters at the lake so I'm going to see if the mounting pattern works this coming weekend. If so, I need to think about that plus light bars and the strain that will have on the factory electrical system.

Comment

Impressive skills you've got there; great progress you're making.

Comment

That's really cool. I'm looking at buying used or possibly new. Keep us updated fellas

Comment

Few More Random Progress Photos...

Comment

Great job!

Comment

looks great....mines becoming a rust bucket

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                    looks great....mines becoming a rust bucket
                    I have to say I was blown away how rusty parts of this thing are. The vast majority is surface rust so it's easily fixable with a little sand paper and some spray bomb.

I actually ended up painting quite a bit of the frame and all of the floorboard supports.

Comment

I live on the coast and keep mine clean...but the salt air just kills it...it's pretty poorly coated as best I can tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                        Longish story short: Bought a used Polaris Ranger Crew off of here. It's pretty beat but the price was right and I like projects.

From what i gather it was a well-used hog dog rig so it's got bumps and bruises and it's fair share of duct tape patches. URL]

I'll say I saw it in action on youtube when it was new

How hard was the axle swap? Mine don't appear to show or act like they have major wear but Ive thought about a swap just cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          I'll say I saw it in action on youtube when it was new

How hard was the axle swap? Mine don't appear to show or act like they have major wear but Ive thought about a swap just cause.
                          Haha,

I can only imagine...

Axle swap is fairly straight forward. I've done a few and can knock one out in 20-30 min if everything isn't rusted solid. Plenty o rust on this unit and me and a buddy spent most of a 12 pack staring at my new purchase rather than actually working.

Comment

Think of it as pondering fluid.

Comment

I live projects like this. Looks like a good time.

Comment

Working...
                              X