anyone ever get an abdominal cramp from doing crunches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone ever get an abdominal cramp from doing crunches

Decided I was fat enough and started back working out. I've had this happen before but now it seems to happen almost everytime I do crunches or push my limits on ab work. Basically think of a leg cramp but in your lower abs. When it happens, I'm sure I look like a beached whale trying to get from my back to my hands and knees but there is nothing that I can do to make it go away. Worst pain I've ever had!

Anyone else have this and found out what it was? Last physical a ~6 months ago and no hernia and it was happening before that too.

I got nothing.

That's why I don't do crunches.

Comment

Originally posted by Berandel View Post
      I got nothing.

That's why I don't do crunches.
      I think I'm stopping too, at least until the pain goes away! I hardly did any crunches when I got the cramp and of all the sore muscles that I have from that workout, that spot hurts the most!

Comment

probally using muscles you havnt in a long time, may have strained one in the process of doin crunches. all muscles if not used WILL hurt like heck after a good session, trick is ease into it for the first 2-3 weeks, it will hurt a bit but after the initial tears and healing is done, its more manageable and then you can work on doing more and more often. usually a good rule to gettin back into working out is one day do say arms, then the next legs, next core, etc. skip a day or two and rotate sets, works best by muscle confusion as if there is a set pattern then you get used to it and dosnt work as good

Comment

Yeah I get them aswell but it only occurs when I'm not careful and knock the tv remote off the arm on my recliner and have to repeatidly pick it up

Comment

it could very well be conective tissues that are hurting more than muscles, as in shin splints best way to describe that, they arent a splint but the small tissues that connect muscle to bone etc, easily stressed if not used for long periods of time. you can try another exercise for abs without doing crunches, sit on the edge of a bench or chair, legs in front, using leg and ab muscles to balance with, raise your legs as if going into a fetal position, hold for a few seconds and repeat. if on a bench you can do this and not put your arms down for stability, makes the abs anf core muscles do the work of keeping you balanced, as everything gets easier you can lean back in the same position raising your torso and legs together

Comment

I used to get cramps in my arm from doing the 12 oz curls.

I think I have got past the pain as it only hurts my head the next morning.

Comment

I get abdominal cramps just thinking about crunches. Thanks

Comment

I get cramps from doing crunches while sitting on the 'throne' the morning after doing too many of the 12 oz. curls mentioned above. Does that count?

Comment

I get 'em every so often. I've always thought that I was pushing too hard and just backed off for a couple of days. For me it felt more like a muscle strain than a cramp. If it is a cramp then it's likely due to a lack of water or electrolites. Stay hydrated and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
                      I get 'em every so often. I've always thought that I was pushing too hard and just backed off for a couple of days. For me it felt more like a muscle strain than a cramp. If it is a cramp then it's likely due to a lack of water or electrolites. Stay hydrated and see if that helps.
                      x2. if it is a real cramp then you are probably dehydrated. drink up

Comment

Abs will definately do this if you have not been active. I would do abs two days a week, giving them at least a day, maybe even two to rest. Once they start cramping move on to something else. If you stay with it, you will see that everytime you work out you will be able to do more and more crunches. Eventually, after maybe two or three weeks (6 to 8 ab workouts), it will stop.

Disclaimer: I am not a Physical Trainer.

Comment

+1 on the hydration route. If your wee ain't clear, then you're not hydrated.

Also, when doing crunches, do not forget to breathe. Seriously, don't hold your breath during the crunch.

Comment

Ive recently started back in the gym as well. The first week or so I was doing 100 cruches each day at home. 4 sets of 25 with 30 secs rest inbetween. Then one day at the gym after already doing a 100 at home I decided I was going to get on the cruch machine and do another 100....

Well while at home when im done doing 100 I can always feel tightness in my abs. But on this machine man the first time I did 50 straight. As soon as I stop every ab muscle in my stomack lit up like a 3 alarm fire. My entire stomach was spasing and it wasnt pleasent to say the least. Took me a few mins and a trip to the locker room to get it all worked out... So I didnt do any crunches for like the next 3 or 4 days... Then decided to try the machine again but was only gonna do sets of 10 untill I felt where i needed to be... Well on 31 they lit up again about half of them..... Took me longer this time to work them out though...

I know for one thing im surely not in the same shape I was when playing football in Highschool and Jr high.

I drink lots and lots of water every day. In fact thats all i drink. I easily drink twice the recommended intake... None of my other muscles ie legs and arms and back have any issues and I can push time as far as I want... I usally do 6 sets of 15 on leg press at 400lbs. I always strech out really well before I work out. I always stretch afterwards too..

But its really hard to actually strech out your abs really well. SO i think it mostly has to do with not being use to working those muscles and they just spaz from being over worked....

I would give it a few days and then take it very slowly and work your way up.... Ive gone back to doing sets of 10 with a couple of mins in between reps to rest... Work your way up untill it doesnt happen anymore..

The hardest thing for me to come and realize is that im not in Highschool anymore and no longer have that body... I dont have 5 coaches yelling at me to push it harder... MOV MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE.... Take your time do it right, work up to it. Dont hurt your self its not worth it..

Comment

Originally posted by daveally View Post
                              I get cramps from doing crunches while sitting on the 'throne' the morning after doing too many of the 12 oz. curls mentioned above. Does that count?

Dave bringing teh funny early this morning.

Could be a potassium deficiency????????

Comment

Working...
                              X