Dry Bite from a snake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Bite from a snake?

What does a dry bite from a snake look like?

While working the brush, our supervisor felt something hit him pretty hard above his ankle. A couple hours later when we got back to our vehicles he showed us and there was a small bruise. The next day the bruise was gone and the only thing visible were 2 very very small red dots. There are lots of snakes where we work and don't always have the chance to put on snake chaps.

Thanks in advance

Very well could be a dry bite. We were walking up to a tank on a place outside Cross Plains one time when the guy in front of me jumped about 10' straight up in the air and started whoopin' and hollering like a crazy man. A small (18") rattler had popped him right on his shin bone. He pulled up his jeans and sure enough there were two small red punture wounds. It was 45 minutes or more before we got him to an emergency room and he wasn't having any swelling or other symptoms so the doctor surmised it was a dry bite. They made him hang around for a few hours to make sure but when no symptoms appeared they sent us home.

Comment

I got a dry bite years ago, looked like puncture wounds.....never had any swelling. At the ER they took a couple of blood samples in about 4 hour time...gave me a tetnaus shoot and let me go....

Comment

My Aunt lives in San Saba and she got hit by a three foot rattle bug in the forearm when she was picking her garden. Sure enough it was a dry bite only two little fang marks. VERY LUCKY PEOPLE!!!

Comment

He never saw what it was that hit him, it was about 3:00 a.m. and thick low brush. He said he never heard a rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Rchr View Post
            He never saw what it was that hit him, it was about 3:00 a.m. and thick low brush. He said he never heard a rattle.
            If he stepped on one it wouldn't rattle and could give a dry "get off of me!" hit..... When I was about 10 or 12, I stepped on a copperhead, he never struck at me, but flailed me soundly with his tail.... I missed the tree limb on the way up, but caught it on the way down. and had to change my drawzzzzz

Comment

I would get it checked out could of been a coral snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason View Post
                If he stepped on one it wouldn't rattle and could give a dry "get off of me!" hit..... and had to change my drawzzzzz
                That's what we were thinking. I guess it was a good thing that he didn't see it.

As far as it being a coral snake, the pin marks were wider than a coral snakes head. (We have a lot of those too).

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Well I can show you exactly what a dry bite from a CopperHead looks like. My mom was bit last year and the doc's declared it a dry bit. Here's a pic...

Comment

Thanks Cousinz8. How long after the bite was that picture taken? Was she walking around in sandals, barefoot or did it bite thru a shoe?

Comment

Originally posted by white devil View Post
                      I would get it checked out could of been a coral snake.
                      A coral snake can't bite you on the ankle. They need a thinner target like the web between your thumb and index finger...

Comment

I didn't think a snake could control the venom in it's glands...but I learn things every day. As far as a dry bite...it is when a snake (for whatever reason) fails to inject it's target with venom. It shows up as 'two red dots' from the fangs. It doesn't burn like it normally does but hurts from where you were stuck from the fangs, like any needle injection.

Hope that helps.

Comment

my buddy got dry bit a couple of weeks ago in new braunfels by a copperhead while feeding his horses it was in a feed sack and when he put his hand in there whack needless to say he flipped out.

Comment

Alot of suprise bites are defensive non envenomation bites. The ones to really watch out for are idiots like me that play with them and keep them at my house. Seriously, if you get bit and you know it was a copperhead or rattlesnake, if there is not immediate pain or nearly immediate pain, chances are good that it was a dry bite. The hemotoxic part of the venom attacks the blood cells and the enzymes and peptides attack the tissue, which is where you get the swelling and pain. Coral snake bites, are a whole different story since it is neurotoxic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rchr View Post
                              What does a dry bite from a snake look like?

While working the brush, our supervisor felt something hit him pretty hard above his ankle. A couple hours later when we got back to our vehicles he showed us and there was a small bruise. The next day the bruise was gone and the only thing visible were 2 very very small red dots. There are lots of snakes where we work and don't always have the chance to put on snake chaps.

Thanks in advance
                              There is always time to put on snake chaps.......an extra two minutes is well worth not being out of work for 2-4 months........glad it was a dry bite.....

Comment

Working...
                              X