Shooter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooter?

I've got a dilemma. I like this buck, and I know 100% that he's at least 3 yrs old because I've been seeing him every year. He could be over that but body characteristics don't indicate that. He has always been a 8pt, has gotten a little bigger each year but not a lot. Im in a 1 buck co. so Im not sure about taking him. Im guessing 130s? Any thoughts?

If you would be happy with him then yes, if not then no.

Comment

Trying to download pic, having trouble.

Comment

An honest 130 inch 8 is a good deer that most people would love to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post

Comment

Idk

Comment

I agree 100%, just dont want to end the season. Typically we get a lot of roamers in the rut. Its a 1 buck co. Idk.

Comment

It takes a lot of bone for an 8 to make 130 in most Texas regions. If he is truly 130 and your not hung up on age then shoot him. IMO, too many people get hung up on age and in reality a 4 year old is trophy age to most of us.

A legit 130 inch 8 is a trophy in 3/4 or more of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                  I agree 100%, just dont want to end the season. Typically we get a lot of roamers in the rut. Its a 1 buck co. Idk.
                  This post came up while I was typing.

In situations like this I let my gut dictate the trophy status and yours seems to be on the fence. That...is the answer to your question. He doesn't seem to be tripping your trigger.

Perhaps you could post a picture.

Comment

this thread is worthless without pics.
                    if I make the decision for you can I come shoot it?
                    I'll offer a complete package and process and eat it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                      Amen. 132” on this one.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I guess it all depends on if you wanna roll the dice. Have you shot a 130”+ 8pt before? Realistic chances of a bigger deer coming through? Ive shot two 8pts over 135 and I don’t know that I could pass another one up! Big 8’s are just pretty to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well a picture would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've passed on a lot of good opening season deer over the years. I'd say its about a 75-25 percent ratio that I should of shot. A 130 inch 8pt is a good deer, unless you are in a really good area. I will say for me unless it breaks 140 and is mature or is a good cull I won't shoot and I'm in an area where a 140 is not the norm. My feeling is you get to a point to where you pass on good deer and hold your breath that they reach a point to where there is no question when you shoot. To each is their own.

Comment

Any pictures of this mystery 8pt ?

Comment

Working...
                              X