TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Williamson County Buck

I find that too many people trash the trail before calling in a dog. Sometimes it is hard to admit you can't find it on your own. When in doubt, back out. This hunter showed great discipline and did it right. He lost blood after about 50 yards. His shot was a little high, so most of the blood collected in the chest cavity. He backed out and called me immediately. We found this buck about 45 minutes later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_213912.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	24519773Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_214424.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	24519774

Name:	20171125_214441.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	24519775Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1_03.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	24519776

Name:	123_1_01.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	24519777Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1_02.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	24519778

Comment

Well I am just getting my puppy into tracking she is a 7 month old redbone, catahoula, and black mouth kit mix.

She really surprised me this past weekend. As for she fetched her first ducks..."not what I was training for but we will make a duck dog out of her yet."

Well with tracking she has minimal experience the only thing she has tracked up until this past weekend was a deer hide I pulled behind me on a rope and her longest track of that was 100 yards maybe.

I took a guy deer hunting this past Sunday for a doe. It was pretty close to sunset when we finally had a doe step out he made a terrible shot on it and it ran off. So we gave it 30 minutes just in case he hit an artery or something and we went and looked for blood didn't find any were he shot but found a little where she ran into the brush. So we put my dog on the blood and this is where she just blew me away. She trailed the deer for 812 yards to last blood for a 7 month year old puppy with not much training I am really impressed at her abilities. Blue dot is last blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the tracks guys!! Awesome work.

Comment

Originally posted by jtslush View Post
          I find that too many people trash the trail before calling in a dog. Sometimes it is hard to admit you can't find it on your own. When in doubt, back out. This hunter showed great discipline and did it right. He lost blood after about 50 yards. His shot was a little high, so most of the blood collected in the chest cavity. He backed out and called me immediately. We found this buck about 45 minutes later.

[ATTACH]884793[/ATTACH][ATTACH]884794[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]884795[/ATTACH][ATTACH]884796[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]884797[/ATTACH][ATTACH]884798[/ATTACH]
          Did you shoot this out of Georgetown? I think I have several pics of him on game camera

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
            Did you shoot this out of Georgetown? I think I have several pics of him on game camera

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
            I didn't shoot him, I just tracked him, but that looks like him. I was told he scored 167 4/8".

Comment

Well Sam's first track was 184 yards. He got turned around one time and I let him work it out. This dog is hooked for life. Sent him on a 50 yard track the next morning and he nailed it. Always fun watching a dog work, especially this guy, poor fellow spent the first three years of his life locked up in a shelter. Got him out of jail last year around Christmas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dimmit finally got his first bay of the year. Guiding down in Uvalde and another guides hunter shot a doe in the back leg. Went out after taking care of dinner and tracked her up. Little over 600 yards to her, she jumped up and bayed within 20 yards in some extremely thick mixed brush. 357 sealed the deal.

Comment

Guys, I got a new pup!!! Found him on my way back from the lease on Tuesday, about 10 miles from the nearest home, all by himself. Took him in and he was cold, hungry, and thirsty, as soon as I put him in my jeep he passed out. He was scared and shy at first but he is now starting to break out of his shell, I named him Razor. He loves the duck toys I’ve bought him a lot. He’ll be my new bird and blood dog. I’m looking forward to spending lots of time with him in the future.

Name:	IMG_4893.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	24523432

Name:	IMG_4894.jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	24523433

Name:	IMG_4895.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	24523434

Comment

Good looking pup man! Looks like he will make an awesome companion and good for you on giving him a good home.

Comment

Tracked one a few weeks back for one of my Dads buddies. I usually don't track for others but his kid hit a decent 9 and was tore up over not being able to find him. Smaller low fence place so was a little worried about turning her loose but all went well. They spent 2 hours looking and found a few small spots of blood and that's it. Cut Delta loose four hours after the shot and 5 min later she had his buck. He ended up making almost a complete circle from where he was shot and made it a little over 300 yards or so. It was shot with a .243 with a ballistic tip about midway back no exit but sure tore him up on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        Good looking pup man! Looks like he will make an awesome companion and good for you on giving him a good home.

Thank you!! He just got real comfortable with us today, just started to teach him basic commands and. I already got him to “sit” on command.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                          Thank you!! He just got real comfortable with us today, just started to teach him basic commands and. I already got him to “sit” on command.

Heelers are some very smart dogs and will amaze you on how fast they learn things. Smartest dog I have ever owned was a heeler...my catahoula is starting to give her a run for her money but I loved that heeler. Good luck with him.

Comment

Looking to get a dog and get into tracking. Catahoula vs. bloodhound? What's better?

Comment

Best one...?

Do

A

Search...

And decide....

Based on your needs, budget and fancy.
                              Good luck and post pics of your new puppy.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X