Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening Weekend Pig and Missed Opportunity

Well I had my chance.

Opening morning I had a decent 10 come in before the feeder went off. He ate hand corn and walked a 100 yard radius for 45 minutes waiting on the feeder. He got a bit nervous and was looking towards the road I come in on. I looked back and a group of 5 to 6 toms come running in. I got excited and could just see me sitting behind one with my bow with a big smile. I grabbed my arrow with a turkey terror broad head and knocked the arrow. I hit the record button and waited for the shot. I drew back and wham!! He did 2 flips, feathers went everywhere, he was flopping on the ground and just stop moving. I grabbed another arrow because the other toms start strutting and gobbling. One tom goes over and starts beating the heck out my turkey. I drew back and wham hit another turkey. When I shot the second bird they decided it was time to leave and ALL the turkey ran off. When I say all the turkey I mean all the turkey I was excited and was thinking 30 yards and I will have both birds. I finally got out of the stand and could not find either bird. I went back and looked at the arrows and the first arrow I am guessing glanced off because not a single drop of blood but a pillow worth of feathers. I guess I just stunned him. The second arrow was covered in blood but none on the ground. I ended up finding the 2nd turkey 45 minutes after but he was still alive. I jumped him in a bush and there was a puddle of blood. I backed out went back in an hour and again jumped him 50 yards away with blood and feathers where he was laying. Backed out went back 3 hours later and jumped him a 3rd time but no blood where he was laying but dried blood where he went in. I am guessing I hit him in the breast but no vitals. I guess I am going to have to wait for my first turkey with a bow.

Thanks for reading and btw I shot a pig the next morning at 20 yards. Went in behind one shoulder and hit the front of the other shoulder. She hit the ground squealing and never got up (easy tracking job). Perfect eating size at about 50 lbs.

Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

congrats on the pork

Comment

Congrats Kevin.

Comment

nice pig

Comment

Sorry about the birds, congrats on the pig!

Comment

Sucks about the turkeys but congrats on the pig

Comment

Congrats on the pig, kevin (looks like it is your turn to cook). Them turkeys can p*** you off sometimes. You will get them next time.

Bisch

Comment

Gonna be some good eatin!!! Congrats!

Comment

mighty fine

Comment

What did the 10 look like?

Comment

thanks everyone

Originally posted by rdwhunter View Post
                        What did the 10 look like?
                        Short g4's