No announcement yet.

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright. I hear people talking about this diet and I've read 5 or 6 pages of this thread. I'm going ease into this diet. I started on Monday weighing in at 275. I'd like to get down to around 200 (or lower) if possible. I got on my bicycle for the first time in a couple years, too. I only went about 5 miles but at least its a start. I have an elk hunt coming up in Colorado and don't want to be hauling all of this extra weight up the side of a mountain.

I think I'll be able to stick with this diet because all I need to do is cut down on the carbs. Most of the foods, i.e., eggs, bacon, meats, etc., are things I already eat a lot of. I'm actually kind of excited to get this going!

Comment

Double post

Comment

JT everything you asked is addressed by Doc Berry in that video I posted. I have fallen victim to cheat days and each time I do it, getting back on track gets harder. Been working out 6 to 10 times a week to no avail.

Kuma, glad it's working for you but you are in keto honeymoon lol. I dropped 40-45lbs in around 6 months then things got tough. Love my bourbon but I can't lose when I drink. My wife has given keto several attempts and gives up after a few weeks but she's been having wine. She argues that it's ok and her macros are all good but I guarantee it's the wine that is holding her back.

Comment

For those that get knocked out of ketosis, is it from a small or a large carb intake?? I can do some carbs over what I am supposed to take and be ok; If i do too many carbs i get knocked out of ketosis. If I do a full blown cheat day I get sick... What I have noticed is if I do rigorous exercise right after too many cards, I stay in ketosis and don't skip a beat. For example, I can do a blizzard right before playing basketball and remain in ketosis without a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
            Alright. I hear people talking about this diet and I've read 5 or 6 pages of this thread. I'm going ease into this diet. I started on Monday weighing in at 275. I'd like to get down to around 200 (or lower) if possible. I got on my bicycle for the first time in a couple years, too. I only went about 5 miles but at least its a start. I have an elk hunt coming up in Colorado and don't want to be hauling all of this extra weight up the side of a mountain.

I think I'll be able to stick with this diet because all I need to do is cut down on the carbs. Most of the foods, i.e., eggs, bacon, meats, etc., are things I already eat a lot of. I'm actually kind of excited to get this going!
            Welcome to the Keto Burn

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post

It’s not just carbs. Need to cut out the sugar. I have been going a month now. Just weighed myself. I’ve lost 14 lbs so far.

Comment

I'm down 50lbs but feel like I leveled out. Thinking I need to fast some.

Comment

I'm on day 5 of no alcohol and day 3 of no diet dr pepper or sweetener of any kind. Scale is moving but dang I'm in a foul mood

Comment

Right now I have more excuses than Carter has peanuts. Summer time brings an increase urge for beer and margarita's and I've endulged, not to much, but enough. I need to get my arse back in gear.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                      JT everything you asked is addressed by Doc Berry in that video I posted. I have fallen victim to cheat days and each time I do it, getting back on track gets harder. Been working out 6 to 10 times a week to no avail.

Kuma, glad it's working for you but you are in keto honeymoon lol. I dropped 40-45lbs in around 6 months then things got tough. Love my bourbon but I can't lose when I drink. My wife has given keto several attempts and gives up after a few weeks but she's been having wine. She argues that it's ok and her macros are all good but I guarantee it's the wine that is holding her back.
                      Well, thanks and so far it's working? LOL, the wife and I used to do the Chili's for lunch and would see the beer drinkers already hitting it. Of course, most were pushing the belts on their waste big time. I always joke I never drink before 5, drink profusely until dinner at 630 +- then I'm done. I don't know, but I'm thrilled with the glucose levels and give full credit to the KETO. Time will tell but hell, retired so got to keep it up. Take Care Brother!

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
                        It’s not just carbs. Need to cut out the sugar. I have been going a month now. Just weighed myself. I’ve lost 14 lbs so far.
                        Yep, got it. Congrats on your loss!

Comment

This was from about 6 weeks ago.
                          I am now down 31 lbs total and I've been stuck for about 2 weeks. Think I need to cut out the artificial stuff and whiskey. Gonna give it a try for 2 weeks and see if it starts moving again. This is easy eating for me except no tacos or beer.

Anyone have a BBQ sauce recipe that's ok? I smoke alot of meat and although still good I miss sauce

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                          I'm doing it about half way.not counting the fats, (I can't wrap my head around high fat not clogging arteries)I'm just keeping carbs and sugars as low as I can. Buddy got me on it right before Easter. Been weighing every Monday, talking to him and reading ideas here as well.
                          4 full weeks and I'm 14lbs down. Today i weighed for week 5 and only lost 1lb this week but it's still moving. I like it. It's easy other than this weekend. Group went fishing with chips, dips, beer etc all weekend I cheated but enjoyed it.

Comment

Well the weekend and temptation are here. Gonna be stuck indoors with weather if the forecasters are right.

I’m 22 hours in to IF and had great cardio workout this morning. Gonna try not to blow it at dinner[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                              I'm down 50lbs but feel like I leveled out. Thinking I need to fast some.
                              Have you been cycling out of Keto? I seemed to have good results "kickstarting" when I went 2-3 weeks in and then cycling out for a couple of days before starting again. I get a bit of a "bounce", but drop that pretty quickly.
                              Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              Ok guys give me your thoughts on this. I have two issues with Keto. One is that I’ll be super strict for 5-6 days and then have a cheat meal and immediately gain 5 pounds or water weight back and feel like I’ve failed since i have to get back into Ketosis. My other issue is I like having a few whiskey and Diet Coke 2-3 nights a week and ya it doesn’t have carbs but it seems that also take you out of Keto.

My biggest worry is that it is not good to constantly be going in and out of ketosis. That kinda has me leading to going back to a more body builder style low carb diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Going in and out of Ketosis isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it can actually help in becoming "fat adapted." However, you have to do it with intention - with frequency and the amount and types of carbs you use to refeed. A nutritionist (friend of a friend) suggested that I eat Keto Mon-Sat and then bump to around 100g of carbs on Sunday. BUT, he suggested that most of those Sunday carbs come in the form of liquids. I haven't really followed that plan, but he has a couple of athletes on that plan and it supposedly works well (for them).

I think in your scenario with a "cheat meal" (or cheat weekend), you're not fully getting into Ketosis before you're right back out of it. IMO, that can be counter productive because your body gets starved for carbs during the week and then stores both carbs and the fat.

I'm in "maintenance mode" and over the last couple of weeks I've kind of done the same thing (low/no carbs during the week and then "cheat" on the weekends. I've bounced from under 180 (after being sick on my scouting trip) to over 190 (when my wife fed me ice cream to fatten me back up ) over a two week period. This morning I was at 185, right where I want to be, so I'm not as committed as I was when I was trying to drop weight. I'll add some carbs on some of my heavy workout days, especially if I'm feeling low on energy. I haven't used the keto strips for over a month, so I don't know (or really care at this point) if I'm in or out of keto, but I'm not overly concerned as long as I feel good and am performing well in my workouts.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Oh, and I've quit drinking almost completely. On the rare occasions I do, I try to stay with vodka and water with lime (partly why I've quit...I don't really like vodka with water! )
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X