cummins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
    A coworker of mine has leased a 1 ton truck from each of the big 3 over the last few years. This is what they had to say about each;

Ford: super stiff suspension while not towing, the stiffest out of all 3. Don’t drive down a dirt road with an open top drink cause it will splash out.

Chevy: the best riding truck and nice interior but seemed to be the slowest when hitched up to their normal livestock trailer full of cattle.

Dodge: awesome power, it’s too bad the rest of the truck is not as top notch as the engine/transmission.
    Dang, stock Duramax , friend pulls 16-18k lbs and they say they climb. Mine is deleted and tuned and I pull a 40ft 16k lb fifth wheel that runs with it. But I guess it al depends on our perceptions and opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
      I know 2 guys I work with both have 2015 Duramax’s. They’re both slow as balls and lack power when it comes to unloaded driving. My stock ram 2500 wouldblow the doors of their stock Duramax.

Then something is wrong with them. A Cummins will not win a drag race with a Duramax if both are stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Then something is wrong with them. A Cummins will not win a drag race with a Duramax if both are stock.

Agreed. Not going to happen.

Comment

i have a 2017 ram 2500 I bought last summer. love it. not a single issue. I put about 30k miles on it so far. it's a beast. Rides great with the new rear suspension.

had a 2016 F250 for work for a while, that is the roughest riding truck i've ever been in. It will rattle the teeth out of your skull.

no experience with the chevy but everyone i know who has had one traded it for a ram. the cummins is a towing machine
          Last edited by justin81; 03-18-2018, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            Let me know what kind of mileage you’re getting with that setup deleted. Both towing that load, and empty. I just deleted my F-350, but haven’t put on enough miles to figure out how much it helps.

I towed my 5th wheel camper (12k#) this weekend from Weatherford to Lake Whitney and back last weekend through Cleburne. I actually tried it on the 100hp setting. I have both pre turbo and post turbo EGT gauges and my temp never got to 1200° even on the hills. It tows like a beast now. It lopes along at 1650-1700 rpms at 70mph and never even breaks a sweat. I had plenty of power on tap any time I wanted it.

I normally average 9.5mpg pre delete pulling it and this trip yielded 12.2 mpg.

Comment

I towed my 5th wheel camper (12k#) this weekend from Weatherford to Lake Whitney and back last weekend through Cleburne. I actually tried it on the 100hp setting. I have both pre turbo and post turbo EGT gauges and my temp never got to 1200° even on the hills. It tows like a beast now. It lopes along at 1650-1700 rpms at 70mph and never even breaks a sweat. I had plenty of power on tap any time I wanted it.

I won’t hook the big trailer on for another couple of weeks, but I did put some highway miles on it this week. About 600 miles over 2 days. I averaged 16.5-17 mpg running 75-77 onnthe highway for the most part, then 15.1 on the last stretch home into a nasty headwind. That’s pretty good for running 37” tires in my opinion.

Comment

This just sounds silly. If you are looking for a stoplight drag racer the Ford and Duramax will be quicker. Hook a load to them and things change quite a bit. TFL truck tests these trucks at their limits, but since the Chevy is rated to tow the least amount of weight they limited them to that. Towing 22k#, 8 miles up a 7% grade, there was ~30 seconds of difference between slowest and fastest time and the Ram wasn’t last.

In a recent dyno test, the Ram put more torque to the wheels than anybody even though it lists the least amount of HP/TQ.

The reality is all of them are more capable than most people will ever need. Pick the one that suits your needs and wants and enjoy it.

My comment about lots of noise and lack of acceleration was directed more at the dodge guy with a loaded down trailer that pulls in front of traffic going much faster than him. You can hear he pinned it, but it takes the truck forever to get up to speed, and that much faster traffic catches up quickly and then hes blocking the passing lane.

I have done the same thing in my Ford pulling a 26' enclosed trailer, and can be up and going 80 and the traffic never catches up. Again, my Ford was deleted, but the throttle response out of even a stock Ford is awesome compared to the other two.

So the time it takes to go from 45-65 is lacking in a Dodge is what I am getting at.

Comment

Pretty impressive. You on stock rubber?

Comment

Good Golly we knew what was going to fly when this was opened up

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post

Dodge: awesome power, it’s too bad the rest of the truck is not as top notch as the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        My comment about lots of noise and lack of acceleration was directed more at the dodge guy with a loaded down trailer that pulls in front of traffic going much faster than him. You can hear he pinned it, but it takes the truck forever to get up to speed, and that much faster traffic catches up quickly and then hes blocking the passing lane.

I have done the same thing in my Ford pulling a 26' enclosed trailer, and can be up and going 80 and the traffic never catches up. Again, my Ford was deleted, but the throttle response out of even a stock Ford is awesome compared to the other two.

So the time it takes to go from 45-65 is lacking in a Dodge is what I am getting at.

If the Dodges are straight piped they do make a lot of noise whether they are pinning it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Pretty impressive. You on stock rubber?

Almost. 285/70/17 vs 265/70/17 when stock.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

Guess I’ve been lucky. Mine’s a 2012 and is holding up just fine.

Comment

cummins

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              I won’t hook the big trailer on for another couple of weeks, but I did put some highway miles on it this week. About 600 miles over 2 days. I averaged 16.5-17 mpg running 75-77 onnthe highway for the most part, then 15.1 on the last stretch home into a nasty headwind. That’s pretty good for running 37” tires in my opinion.

This is what the lie o meter is currently showing unloaded around DFW. 75% cruising 72-75mph and the rest in slow to stop & go traffic. Looking forward to seeing if I really get 700+ miles from a tank. 200+ miles on just under 1/4 tanks looks promising though. Running on the 135hp setting currently.

Comment

Something else silly....comparing a deleted truck to one that ain't.

Of the 4 I had the only one I wish I still had is the cummins. The durajap ran like a scalded ape but wasn't as comfortable as the dodge to me. Might have been due to short bed Chevy and long bed dodges.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X