2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I'll be checking this thread for ideas and advice!

The best advice I can offer is to sell your tiller! A few years ago we tried the “Back to Eden” gardening method because our little garden just would not produce the results we were looking for. Without a doubt it was the best thing I have ever tried.

I started with a 14x20 garden bringing in just a little over 1 ton of organic compost spreading it to @ 5-6” thick. I then brought in right at a ton of organic mulch spreading it over the compost. I could type and go into detail but I will let the video that turned me onto it speak for me. The best part, I can travel weeks on end and still have a lush garden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      We continue to be blessed with rain... I should just put up a berm around the garden plot and grow crawfish!! It ain't lookin' real good for a garden this year for us...

Herons feasting on crawfish...

[ATTACH]899104[/ATTACH]

same here, part of my turnips washed off.

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

We did not do a big garden this spring. We were just too busy.

Every year I allow a few plants go to seed. Our asparagus was planted three years ago and every year I leave a couple to produce seed. I let them grow until they die off and every spring we have a new crop without planting. This one is a Mary Washington that currently stands 5’ 2” tall.

The lettuce in the background has been growing and producing year round for the past three years! Frost and snow wilted the leaves but every time, within a few weeks, we have new growth!

Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 03-04-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
          The best advice I can offer is to sell your tiller! A few years ago we tried the “Back to Eden” gardening method because our little garden just would not produce the results we were looking for. Without a doubt it was the best thing I have ever tried.

I started with a 14x20 garden bringing in just a little over 1 ton of organic compost spreading it to @ 5-6” thick. I then brought in right at a ton of organic mulch spreading it over the compost. I could type and go into detail but I will let the video that turned me onto it speak for me. The best part, I can travel weeks on end and still have a lush garden!

I came across a couple of this lady's videos a few months back when I was doing research on canning meat. As soon as I heard her voice at the beginning I knew who it was without even seeing her face. LOL! Great garden!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I came across a couple of this lady's videos a few months back when I was doing research on canning meat. As soon as I heard her voice at the beginning I knew who it was without even seeing her face. LOL! Great garden!

She does have an awesome garden for sure! Ours may not look real tidy with leaves, egg shells, and organic vegetable scraps here and there but, it makes delicious produce and requires next to no watering even during the summer! We will never till again. For us, mimicking nature and Gods perfect design works like a camp.

Good luck and post up progress pics!!!

Comment

Like I had posted just a bit ago, we put our organic fruit and vegetable scraps in the garden to provide natural nutrients. As a byproduct we have “at will” plants popping up everywhere. Here is a bunch of cantaloupe sprouting!

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

Finally a little sunshine.
                Everything is growing well. Especially the tomatoes, onions, and broccoli.
                Cucumbers are just starting to peek through. Still waiting on the squash to make an appearance.
                Asparagus is getting tall fast. No spears to harvest until next year is going to be a long wait.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                  Finally a little sunshine.
                  Everything is growing well. Especially the tomatoes, onions, and broccoli.
                  Cucumbers are just starting to peek through. Still waiting on the squash to make an appearance.
                  Asparagus is getting tall fast. No spears to harvest until next year is going to be a long wait.

Looking good!

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

Only thing I’m doing so far is taters . Yard long beans and carrots.

Comment

I started these jalapeños, cherry tomatoes, green chili’s, and hybrid tomatoes on Jan 14 and they are not growing very well. The hybrid tomatoes are not even coming up yet. They have been on a heat pad and under a grow light. Is there something that I am not doing or is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                        I started these jalapeños, cherry tomatoes, green chili’s, and hybrid tomatoes on Jan 14 and they are not growing very well. The hybrid tomatoes are not even coming up yet. They have been on a heat pad and under a grow light. Is there something that I am not doing or is this normal?

I start my seed late December and generally plant mid February. I just put the seedlings in the sunroom of the house w/o any artificial lighting. Wish I could help you but I have no idea what you can do differently other than put them in the ground.

Comment

Onion went in today. re-potting tomato, pepper, and zucchini seedlings tomorrow. All the greens go in the ground tomorrow as well. Kale, cabbage, head lettuce, and romaine lettuce. Tomato seedlings aren’t doing to well this year. Hopefully they recover.

Comment

Well got tomatoes and chilies out today. Wife started them in the pots early this year. So am hopeful not jumping the gun.

Comment

What do yall use for trellis for cucumbers

Comment

Cattle panels

Comment

Working...
                                X