Sight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rat View Post
    Nothing wrong with going to Double G to get it done, but if you want some one on one coaching you can come out to the house and we can get you set up.

One on one coaching for form is invaluable and I have everything needed to do what needs to be done to the bow. I don't sell anything, I only coach and tune; if anything needs to be bought you can buy from a local shop before you come over.

5125257299 I am in Bertram.

Bring a 12 pack of Shiner, that's my fee.
    Here's an offer that shouldn't be refused.

Comment

Nothing wrong with going to Double G to get it done, but if you want some one on one coaching you can come out to the house and we can get you set up.

One on one coaching for form is invaluable and I have everything needed to do what needs to be done to the bow. I don't sell anything, I only coach and tune; if anything needs to be bought you can buy from a local shop before you come over.

5125257299 I am in Bertram.

Bring a 12 pack of Shiner, that's my fee.
      Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Here's an offer that shouldn't be refused.

I agree with RAT and Jeff .... You better be sending a PM, that's a steal

Comment

I just had my daughter born at 8:29 this morning. I'm out of commission for awhile. I'll take you up on that soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mlmtx01 View Post
          I just had my daughter born at 8:29 this morning. I'm out of commission for awhile. I'll take you up on that soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Congrats. that's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Fling em View Post
            I'm 6' 1". I'll see in the morning.

I anchor with my first knuckle on my ear lobe and I put my thumb on the back of my neck. (No pressure on the back of my neck from my thumb)

Not meaning to hijack the OP's thread. Just being curious.
            Why do you put your thumb on the back of your neck?

Comment

If you do go see Rat, take a 12 pack for yourself. He can nock them back.

Comment

Why do you put your thumb on the back of your neck?
                Honestly I don't know. It's just something I started doing a while back.
                Is that a bad habit?

Comment

Honestly I don't know. It's just something I started doing a while back.
                  Is that a bad habit?
                  Yes!!! "Thumbnecker!!"

Most likely means you're punching the trigger instead of pulling thru the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    Yes!!! "Thumbnecker!!"

Most likely means you're punching the trigger instead of pulling thru the shot.
                    That's one of the nicest names I've been called in a while!

I suspect this could be causing some of the accuracy issues I've been having! I'm going to go thumbless tomorrow and see how that works!

Appreciate the info!

Comment

That's one of the nicest names I've been called in a while!

I suspect this could be causing some of the accuracy issues I've been having! I'm going to go thumbless tomorrow and see how that works!

Appreciate the info!
                      Use a thumb release, that'll fix it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                        Use a thumb release, that'll fix it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
                        I've thought about that. Any benefits to a thumb release besides making me stop putting my thumb on my neck?

Comment

I've thought about that. Any benefits to a thumb release besides making me stop putting my thumb on my neck?
                          There are many reasons why shooting a "hinge" type release is better. But first, the thumb...

I used to see many people do this back in the day. I think it is a holdover from days past where hunters were taught to do this to help them hold the bow back longer. Of course this started around the time when bows had lower letoff than today and everyone wanted to shoot 70 pound bows.

When you place the thumb on the back of your neck you do a few things:
                          1) It breaks the line of the wrist and the forearm, this means you need to use muscles instead of bones and this means not every shot will be the same. It will also hinder the stretching of the wrist to get a surprise release.

2) It will lower the anchor point, especially if you have any pressure on the thumb. The whole arm will droop, the elbow comes down and the anchor isn't consistent due to differences in pressure from the thumb.

3) Lastly, it causes the wrist to rotate slightly, which puts the radial bone out of alignment; again, this breeds inconsistency.

When using an index finger release, you need to have a fully relaxed hand, only the index finger touches the trigger. Hook the index finger on the trigger, pull through the shot, letting the wrist extend slightly (known as yielding, kinda sorta anyway) and let the release fire using back tension. Don't squeeze the trigger, the trigger finger never moves once it is hooked.

This is the best way to fire an index finger release.

An index finger release can be fired very similar to a "hinge" type release, but it takes much more practice. It is best to use a release designed for this. A thumb trigger, or button, release is a good start, although I start all my hinge shooters on a dedicated tension release, like the Evo or the Silverback, and then switch to a thumb later if they need to for shooting in the wind. These releases are designed to be shot correctly using back tension (or any number of firing engines) and will help you get the consistency and surprise release you are looking for.

Many people can shoot an index finger release fine using back tension and they like that they can command shoot when needed. There is no "right" way, the way that builds the most confidence, and is consistent, is the way for you.

Comment

Watch this video, Ike explains it pretty well.
                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBGmEE4qc2A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBGmEE4qc2A[/ame]

The first half is about a back tension/thumb release, the last half is about the index finger release aid.

Comment

There are many reasons why shooting a "hinge" type release is better. But first, the thumb...

I used to see many people do this back in the day. I think it is a holdover from days past where hunters were taught to do this to help them hold the bow back longer. Of course this started around the time when bows had lower letoff than today and everyone wanted to shoot 70 pound bows.

When you place the thumb on the back of your neck you do a few things:
                              1) It breaks the line of the wrist and the forearm, this means you need to use muscles instead of bones and this means not every shot will be the same. It will also hinder the stretching of the wrist to get a surprise release.

2) It will lower the anchor point, especially if you have any pressure on the thumb. The whole arm will droop, the elbow comes down and the anchor isn't consistent due to differences in pressure from the thumb.

3) Lastly, it causes the wrist to rotate slightly, which puts the radial bone out of alignment; again, this breeds inconsistency.

When using an index finger release, you need to have a fully relaxed hand, only the index finger touches the trigger. Hook the index finger on the trigger, pull through the shot, letting the wrist extend slightly (known as yielding, kinda sorta anyway) and let the release fire using back tension. Don't squeeze the trigger, the trigger finger never moves once it is hooked.

This is the best way to fire an index finger release.

An index finger release can be fired very similar to a "hinge" type release, but it takes much more practice. It is best to use a release designed for this. A thumb trigger, or button, release is a good start, although I start all my hinge shooters on a dedicated tension release, like the Evo or the Silverback, and then switch to a thumb later if they need to for shooting in the wind. These releases are designed to be shot correctly using back tension (or any number of firing engines) and will help you get the consistency and surprise release you are looking for.

Many people can shoot an index finger release fine using back tension and they like that they can command shoot when needed. There is no "right" way, the way that builds the most confidence, and is consistent, is the way for you.
                              This is excellent advice.

Comment

Rat, can you try the link to the video again. I'm not seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X