Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use the Hornady 129 grain SST bullet in 6.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use the Hornady 129 grain SST bullet in 6.5?

I ordered some to try out in my 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum. Might get them around 3600+ FPS. I am pretty sure on deer this will jelly the lungs on them.

I think that bullet will explod at at that speed. A bonded bullet would work better.

Comment

I have had SST's blow up inside two deer that were shot at 100 yds. Neither bullet exited the body and both deer were difficult to find since they did not bleed until they ran 60 yds into thick cover and fell over dead. This was with a 308, I would think it would be much more likely to happen with your gun at that high of velocity. I think a bonded bullet may be a much better choice.

Comment

I have used the 150 grain and .308 last year and both deer I shot were well under 100 yards. Like 60 for one and closer for the other. Both had complete pass thru. One went in near the shoulder and exited just in front of the hip on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
          I have used the 150 grain and .308 last year and both deer I shot were well under 100 yards. Like 60 for one and closer for the other. Both had complete pass thru. One went in near the shoulder and exited just in front of the hip on the other side.
          a 150 gr .308 @ 2800 fps vs. a 129 gr .264 @ 3600 fps are comparing apples vs. pomegranates

No doubt whatever animal you hit will die from hydrostatic shock. You need to be careful on shot placement as the bullet may "splash" due to velocity, RPM's, and bullet construction

I'm thinking a 140 gr bullet at reduced speeds (3400 fps ???) will provide better bullet results.

Before pushing maximum speed, find the barrel anode and shoot for optimum accuracy. Just my opinion as I shoot lots of cartridges that exceed 4000 fps
          Last edited by Cajun Blake; 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            a 150 gr .308 @ 2800 fps vs. a 129 gr .264 @ 3600 fps are comparing apples vs. pomegranates

No doubt whatever animal you hit will die from hydrostatic shock. You need to be careful on shot placement as the bullet may "splash" due to velocity, RPM's, and bullet construction

I'm thinking a 140 gr bullet at reduced speeds (3400 fps ???) will provide better bullet results.

Before pushing maximum speed, find the barrel anode and shoot for optimum accuracy. Just my opinion as I shoot lots of cartridges that exceed 4000 fps
            I agree. I was going to use these bullets for whitetail. I have a halfway decent load for 140 grain bullets(Accubonds).

Comment

That bullet I'd gonna come apart as soon as it hits at that velocity.

I would look more towards an Accubond/Barnes/Swift Scirocco type of bullet, even on white tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I know that the 140gr SST at 3400 out of a 7mm STW is no bueno inside 200yds. It's a grenade when it hits with very little penetration.

Comment

pretty hot for that bullet.

Comment

personally I would be looking at the 140gr Bergers

Comment

I have been disappointed with 129 SSTs' performance in the 6.5 Creedmoor: they tend to explode. It seems like they're designed to make marginal shots lethal but for clean shots they ruin a lot of meat. I like Barnes TTSX much better and am starting to reload them for the Creedmoor now.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                        I have been disappointed with 129 SSTs' performance in the 6.5 Creedmoor: they tend to explode. It seems like they're designed to make marginal shots lethal but for clean shots they ruin a lot of meat. I like Barnes TTSX much better and am starting to reload them for the Creedmoor now.
                        I used to be a huge Barnes fan. I finally shot enough game to learn you either have to push them fast (3100+) or hit large bone (Shoulder/Spine) to get reliable expansion.

I hit 3 does in the lungs with them (ribs in and out) and watched the deer bed up and take an hour to die. Impact velocity was about 2500fps shooting 120gr from a grendel.

Low impact velocities I have gone back to the NBT. Higher I have gone to Berger.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                          I used to be a huge Barnes fan. I finally shot enough game to learn you either have to push them fast (3100+) or hit large bone (Shoulder/Spine) to get reliable expansion.

I hit 3 does in the lungs with them (ribs in and out) and watched the deer bed up and take an hour to die. Impact velocity was about 2500fps shooting 120gr from a grendel.

Low impact velocities I have gone back to the NBT. Higher I have gone to Berger.
                          Funny, if I could change anything about the barnes it'd be to make them expand a little less. Under 150 yds I'm all about meat preservation, and the barnes "cloverleaf" channel often looks like someone put a fist through the meat. Thanks for the perspective though, I haven't tried Bergers.

Comment

By the way I just noticed we *are* talking about apples and oranges - your grendel is hitting for 30% less energy at 100 yds than creedmoor. Better expansion makes sense in that cartridge.
                            Last edited by Balcones_Walker; 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                              By the way I just noticed we *are* talking about apples and oranges - your grendel is hitting for 30% less energy at 100 yds than creedmoor. Better expansion makes sense in that cartridge.
                              It is all about impact velocities and if you hit bone.

Bergers blow up like a hand grenade inside the chest and if anything exits it will only be the lead core. In my .308 with 168gr 4-6" shredded holes. In the .300 RUM more like 8-10" with 210gr.

Deer have all been DRT.

After collecting enough data I have found that if there is enough damage on the inside exit wounds are never needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X