Electrician help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician help

I am wiring my new man cave. What size wire do I need. I am not running anything larger than a refrigerator in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

following.. needing to wire my small shed outside my house.

Comment

12-2 w ground. 14 for lights if you wanna save a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
        12-2 w ground. 14 for lights if you wanna save a little.
        This but I would just run all 12/2 w/ground. I don't know how big your man cave is but if you are buying 500ft or more I would just go ahead and buy a 1000' yard spool. Much easier to pull the wire coming off the spool than it is in the smaller packages.

Comment

I would go with 12/2 so you can have a 20 amp circuit for the room. If you decide to run 14/2 for lighting as said above that’s fine, but put it on a separate circuit from the receptacles. I don’t know how big the room is, so you may be planning to break it up already.

Comment

Depends on many things and how many receptacles you plan to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It is 1200 square foot. 9 lights and 10 plugs but plan on using 5 different circuits

Comment

Circuit size is up to you (15 or 20A). If it were mine the fridge receptacle would be a 20A dedicated circuit.

The rest I would just do typical 15A circuits.

12/2 Romex for the 20A and 14/2 Romex for the 15A ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

I agree with Mike. With the info you gave I would run a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the fridge,, split the remaining receptacles into 2 15 amp circuits, and I would have one 15 amp for the lights because they would all be LED anyway.

Comment

Most all refrigerators pull less than 500W/3.3A. Dedicating a circuit for that would be a waste of money.

Comment

No A.C.?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                          Most all refrigerators pull less than 500W/3.3A. Dedicating a circuit for that would be a waste of money.

I always try to put them on dedicated circuits to make sure nothing else trips the breaker and kills the power to the fridge or deep freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                            I always try to put them on dedicated circuits to make sure nothing else trips the breaker and kills the power to the fridge or deep freezer.

AND DON'T USE A GROUND FAULT PLUG ON FRIDGE PLEASE! They're too sensitive and not necessary.....and it's a stinky mess when it does!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                              AND DON'T USE A GROUND FAULT PLUG ON FRIDGE PLEASE! They're too sensitive and not necessary.....and it's a stinky mess when it does!

I lost 2 whole deer that way in a deep freeze a couple days after I got them back from the processor. Hard lesson to learn that day!

Comment

Working...
                              X