2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Gardening thread

It's about that time. Who all is preparing?

Gonna start working on some new raised beds this weekend. Debating going ahead and getting some taters in the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Taters and onions.

Comment

I might have to try raised beds this year if the shop doesn't get my dang tiller fixed sometime real soon. Looking forward to trying again this year. Last year was only my first year and it was somewhat a failure.

One question I have for this year, does adding mushroom composte help out a lot? Last year I didn't really add anything, just fertilized every now and again. Seemed like my plants would do great right after being fertilized and then struggle just a few days later.

Comment

Got my 4x8 Bed ready to go. I think I will wait about 2 more weeks.

Comment

I have over 100 seedlings that will be ready to go in late winter or early spring. Have onion, potatoes, and carrots going now. Will incorporate the fireplace ash and last years compost prior to planting.

Comment

If I plant anything this year, I'm gonna have to high fence it. Thanks to the deer, I didn't get anything but some melons and a couple messes of peas!!

Comment

First set of three tomatoes in their own little hot house already blooming. More every two to three weeks apart. Was eating tomatoes last year by the first of May.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chief262 View Post
                  First set of three tomatoes in their own little hot house already blooming. More every two to three weeks apart. Was eating tomatoes last year by the first of May.
                  Good deal there! I had tomatoes all the way thru the 1st week in December this last season. Crazy.

Comment

My wife's garden last year, her first real try at it, pretty much drowned with all the rain we had. She wanted to go bigger this year, so about a month ago, I broke up some new ground/tillered it real good... Too wet again right now, but at least it's not under water! She had fun with it last year but was pretty bummed out by the rotten potatoes, dround squash, 'maters, beans and such... This year, she will have 20 rows 150 feet long... I hope she knows what she's gettin' herself into!! Soon as I can, I'll add some compost, lime and such and till it all in, then cut her rows... That's it for my part. I AIN'T NO GARDENER!!! I Hate it!! ... sure do love eatin' them fresh veggies!!! Heck, I'm even goin' to enjoy tryin' to keep the coons out! THAT is a challenge for me and my fancy bb guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by chief262 View Post
                      I like that set up, may have to steal that idea and start earlier!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        My wife's garden last year, her first real try at it, pretty much drowned with all the rain we had. She wanted to go bigger this year, so about a month ago, I broke up some new ground/tillered it real good... Too wet again right now, but at least it's not under water! She had fun with it last year but was pretty bummed out by the rotten potatoes, dround squash, 'maters, beans and such... This year, she will have 20 rows 150 feet long... I hope she knows what she's gettin' herself into!! Soon as I can, I'll add some compost, lime and such and till it all in, then cut her rows... That's it for my part. I AIN'T NO GARDENER!!! I Hate it!! ... sure do love eatin' them fresh veggies!!! Heck, I'm even goin' to enjoy tryin' to keep the coons out! THAT is a challenge for me and my fancy bb guns!!
                        You may not like gardening, but I hope you like canning!!

Comment

Seeds just came in today. Added another 1500 square foot or so to the garden area last weekend. Planted the onions and potatoes last weekend. Was almost too wet but not too bad. I disked it a few days before to help dry it out.

Comment

I've added a new raised bed box.

Tomato Seedlings are coming right along. Peppers, not yet.

Comment

I've got green onions, carrots, turnips, mustard greens and lettuce that have been in and producing since October....

Dang pictures are to big to post.

Comment

Working...
                              X