No announcement yet.

Camp Bullis 2017????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't say I've ever seen a single quail at Bullis.

Per warden, no deer killed this whole weekend.
    I saw a buck chasing a doe at a distance, so the rut has started.
    Only saw one other doe right at dark as I was leaving my stand.
    Nothing came to the feeder this evening. It's like the deer don't really care, they must still have plenty of acorns.
    Most of the activity is at night, and mostly pigs. A few larger eight points, nothing huge on camera yet.

Comment

I stayed out all day Saturday and nothing came by at all... Camera is showing only nocturnal movements.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't feel bad about not seeing any deer.
        I hunted on an invite over the weekend, on a ranch that has tons of deer and nothing was seen on Saturday, and only a few started to show up Sunday evening after the front.
        Next month it will pick up, bet on it.
        Last big covey of quail I saw on Bullis was back in the early nineties when I had a stand in what was A13 now TA7.
        Used to curse those little devils for scaring me sounding like deer walking through the leaves behind me, until I heard their low pitched whistle as they walked and fed.
        It was a big covey of about 15 or so birds that hung around my feeder.

Comment

Maybe the quail are suffering due to the hog problem. At my feeder I have at least five different boars all around 300 pounds I'm guessing, plus 30+ sows and piglets.
          During the last two weeks, there was only one appearance of a pig during daylight on the trail cam.
          They really need to be trapped and removed.

Comment

Hogs without a doubt are a large contributor as to why the quail or pretty much non existent, since they eat anything, and everything they can find.
            The other ranch I spoke of above is over run with hogs and also turkeys. The turkeys seem to coexist better with the hogs maybe just by their sheer numbers, but we've got plenty of both.
            Back when I hunted there at Bullis, you would have had a better chance of seeing a space alien than seeing a hog.
            Last edited by Jimbo47; 10-23-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Best chance for quail is in 11A, not many people hunt quail on Bullis. I don't think it is a large enough population to hunt quail in my opinion.

Comment

How much corn you guys going through a month? Just wondering in I need to pump up my feeder times.

Comment

Thanks for the insight on the quail...they advertise in the club like there is a good season at bullis. Well for the activities on 7-3 this weekend. Friday evening the son and I saw a group of hogs and that's it. We weren't able to go on Saturday due to baseball games and for Sunday afternoon the boy had a group of hogs come in and got a shot on one but sailed it over it. Right after that we had an 8 pointer come in to about 75 to 80 yards. He had a wide spread but his points were small probably would of scored around 125 to 135. As for feeding we only have it going off Friday-Sunday three times a day. There are three good size oak trees that are throwing tons of acorns. The camera has them coming in around 0400 to 0600 with hogs the rest of the time mainly at 1800 on through out the night. Couple of does are feeding around 0900 to 1000 with some turkeys around noon. I'm in favor of setting up a few weekends of night hunts for hogs and traps!

Comment

I'd only throw as much corn as you're willing to buy and haul out there.

Comment

Anyone see any rut activity. Might be time to hit the horns. I've seen a few dead deer on Ralph Fair rd

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be bringing them out this weekend.

Comment

A hunter reported seeing a buck chasing a doe last weekend. Rut should be kicking in soon. As far as amount of corn to feed, My feeder is 12v and is set to go off at 0650 and 1700 for about 4 seconds. It depends on how far your spinner plate is from the funnel and strength of your motor and battery. My 55 gallon drum hold 300-350 lbs of corn and lasts just over a month. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by riley05 View Post
                            Anyone see any rut activity. Might be time to hit the horns. I've seen a few dead deer on Ralph Fair rd

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
                            Don't forget, you have to take a doe first.

Comment

Big cold front tomorrow, anyone headed out besides me?

Comment

Enjoy this weekend!
                                Looks like the next two weekends for the majority, are closed according to schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X