Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift Deed

Anyone have this done before?

Wife’s parents are giving us some land to build a house on and my wife was told we need to get an attorney to gift deed it to us.

Any one have tips, advice, price it would be greatly appreciated

Have a title insurance policy done and survey just to be sure. I recently had this done. Title companies will also handle the deed for about $1,200-1,500 including the insurance depending on what comes up. A deed itself is only a couple hundred dollars. A new survey will need to include a recorded right of way to your place. All this will go to the county appraisal office so you can pay taxes on your new "gift"!
    Last edited by LWolken; 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

In laws did this when we built our house 17 years ago. At the time, it was a couple hundred $$$ for an attorney to do the paperwork plus the cost of the survey... I'm sure costs depend on who you use...

Comment

^^^^ I 2nd this....go ahead and pay for the policy and a new survey, if a survey is not already done that is accurate.

Comment

Getting a survey in 2 weeks. Think we are getting an attorney that does oil/gas stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

had it done years ago. Just got a survey done and took it to the county. They transferred the land to me for no cost. I think we put down that I paid a dollar for the land but that part is a little fuzzy as I am not sure.
            Was never able to build on the place so I gave it back to them about two years ago. Old survey was still good and they just transferred the acre back to my parents.

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
              had it done years ago. Just got a survey done and took it to the county. They transferred the land to me for no cost. I think we put down that I paid a dollar for the land but that part is a little fuzzy as I am not sure.
              Was never able to build on the place so I gave it back to them about two years ago. Old survey was still good and they just transferred the acre back to my parents.
              The county employees prepared a deed for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                The county employees prepared a deed for you?
                the best I can remember. Can't really remember the title ever getting to me but Grayson county just had a form for me to transfer the acre from my parents name into my name after the survey was done. I then had it under my name and paid taxes on the acre for a few years until mom went up there and had it put back in her name. Sorry I can't remember much of the details. I did this back in like 2003 or 04. Don't remember ever seeing a deed but county had it in my name. Maybe I didnt complete the whole process?? I did have to go before the county one time to dispute the tax value once.

Comment

Sounds like the county had you listed as the responsible party for paying the taxes. That does not determine ownership of the property, that’s just who gets the tax bill. Send me some names if you want me to take a look.

Comment

Working...
                  X