Metal Roof.. Am I crazy????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Roof.. Am I crazy????

I'm probably going to attempt to put a metal roof on my house with the help of a buddy or 3. It's a square double wide and square roof, no gables or anything. The roof does have one layer of shingles which I'm planning on leaving and going over. The roof has a few spots that are slightly sagging.

I've called and got prices and I t looks like I stand to save around $1500 - $2000 of I do it myself. I'm pretty hand and a DIY guy, I've built my own shop but this will be a first for me.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!

Pop plenty of chalk lines and pull plenty of string lines, once you get out of square it's a PIA.
    If your going to run stringers on top of the shingles make sure you leave some gaps every few feet so any moisture has a way to drain out and not build up.

Comment

Well, you got the handle for it ! You gonna bake in the daytime and have the shakes at night !

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
        Pop plenty of chalk lines and pull plenty of string lines, once you get out of square it's a PIA.

If your going to run stringers on top of the shingles make sure you leave some gaps every few feet so any moisture has a way to drain out and not build up.

Stringers are the plan. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

For $1500-$2000 savings I would hire it done.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            For $1500-$2000 savings I would hire it done.
            This, for 2k let the professionals handle it. That little cash is worth the warranty alone

Comment

saving 2k isnt worth the work and hassle. let the pros do it. 5k savings would be worth messing with

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                This, for 2k let the professionals handle it. That little cash is worth the warranty alone
                Don't think you would get a warranty going over the shingles would you?

Comment

How pro are the pros? if they just some good old boys then you can do what they do. If they just good old boys there probably is no warranty.

Stringers are the way to go to gain a little air space in between old shingles and new metal, but you have to use the eave and rake trim to seal it all up and make it water tight and looking good again. When metal roofs fail, they usually peal off in a high wind in one piece. We have all seen the videos..... some how you have to make every attempt to fasten the stringers blindly through the shingles and into the framing of the trailer. Probably use a ring shank nail on the stringers at the same time for max grip.

Go on the Mueller INc web site and dig through there literature. Look for a install manual and read the thing front to rear. Most of it will probably not apply for you, buy at the same time it will give you the best understanding of what time to use and how to fasten it. Look at there screw patters and spacing for sure! There is a reason for everything they do!

Make sure and find a good foam closer or ridge vent for under the ridge. I have seen rain blow up a 12/12 pitched roof when the wind and rain is just right. It would be a nightmare on a low pitch trailer roof.

your probably going to cut your electric bill by 1/3 if done correctly.

Comment

I'd strip it down to the deck, refelt it and then lay your 1x4's down. If it's already sagging you don't want to add more weight to it. I have known some guys to lay sheets of foam board down under the paneling. Just remember to spend some time get the first sheet down correctly and then check every one. You can do it. It's not rocket science.

Comment

Simple roof line roof is easy to do. My dad and I did my roof and it was 40sq. We went with galvalume r panel from Mueller. They said going over shingle was fine for r-panel but not for standing seam. They do have a good install guide. There are lots of good videos on youtube showing how to do it. If you are doing r-panel, it will go up very fast.

I went with Mueller because I only knew of Mueller. They are expensive compared to other companies is what I have learned. I think my materials list was $3500 for the 40sq

Comment

Recently had a standing seam put on my house. ~26 squares or so. Materials were less than 33%. I paid for the materials out of pocket then payed the installer when completed.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                          Recently had a standing seam put on my house. ~26 squares or so. Materials were less than 33%. I paid for the materials out of pocket then payed the installer when completed.
                          This makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                            I'm probably going to attempt to put a metal roof on my house with the help of a buddy or 3. It's a square double wide and square roof, no gables or anything. The roof does have one layer of shingles which I'm planning on leaving and going over. The roof has a few spots that are slightly sagging.

I've called and got prices and I t looks like I stand to save around $1500 - $2000 of I do it myself. I'm pretty hand and a DIY guy, I've built my own shop but this will be a first for me.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!
                            e Teeter; wee 6z6xs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                              e Teeter; wee 6z6xs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Butt dial. Haha

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Working...
                              X