6.5 Grendel Upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    velocities with 123 grain bullets were down in the 2300fps which would concern me and IMO severely limit your choice in bullets, not to mention give up a lot of the advantages of a 6.5mm Bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Aye, Quickload says right around 2300 with a 12.5", and agreed that the 2300-2500 jump is significant.

Also +1 for the LaRue, everything I've gotten from them was first class.

Comment

Larue or Precision Firearms don't think you can go wrong with either of their Grendel uppers.

Go poke around the 65grendel forum for lots more information, it is a small forum dedicated to all things Grendel. Bill Alexander still signs on from time to time. There are some there that hunt with 12.5 inch suppressed SBRs.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
        Same question here. Can it be a good SBR or does it need 18” (or more) to get a full burn and really be worth doing? I’m not going to shoot at anything with it out past 250 and 95% will be quick, short shots. Thought it might be a better truck gun round than .223.

I found a pretty good Black Friday deal on a 12.5” bbl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        For your uses a 12.5” will be totally fine. The purpose of 6.5 isn’t necessarily speed, it’s the higher BC to retain more energy at longer distances. 18” with a can is not gonna be a handy package and doesn’t justify 200+/- more FPS IMO. I’m looking to throw a 12.5” 6.5 grendel upper on my sbr for the exact same intended use as you .

Comment

Originally posted by 10-96inTexas View Post
          I just ordered the Primary Arms for just over $400 shipped w/tax. Cheapest I could configure the Larue was about $800 before tax/shipping. I'd love to have the Larue but just couldn't justify twice the price.
          You're comparing apples to oranges. The $800 LaRue was every single piece needed to make a rifle, minus the lower. The Radical deal is literally just the upper. No trigger, no stock, no LPK, no buffer tube, no buffer, no spring, no grip.

I'm not saying you made the wrong choice, just that they're different choices. Enjoy the Radical.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Nick, I don’t have any experience with short barrels in a Grendel. Lgidewell on here posted a couple of hog kills with a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel.

Thread title is something like new record kill with SBR or something like that. I do remember him saying that his velocities with 123 grain bullets were down in the 2300fps which would concern me and IMO severely limit your choice in bullets, not to mention give up a lot of the advantages of a 6.5mm Bullet. For reference my 18” Alexander Arms barrel ran low 2500fps with that class Bullet and my current 20” Bartlein 5R barrel runs mid-upper 2500 fps.

Knowing your taste in guns I’d look at Barltein and Lilja barrels. Proof is also chambering a barrel in 6.5 Grendel

Alexander Arms is the inventor of of the Grendel and I was very happy with mine. I have zero experience with them but Ballistic Advantage is supposed to be turning out some good barrels for the $$.

I actually got a Ballistic Advantage barrel for my 8.5” 300Blk and it’s pretty good. Yeah, I do tend to like some high end rifle components. lol! I’ve been wondering whether you really get what you pay for with a lot of AR components. I bought a Noveske barrel a while back and it doesn’t shoot as well as I THINK it should and neither did the LaRue Stealth barrel I’m ditching. I didn’t find either one to be reliably sub MOA and that’s not acceptable to me. That BA is, but barely. Maybe I’ll just have to lower my expectations. I’m not willing to drag a Krieger bull barrel around hunting and I don’t look at gas guns as target rifles. So, I’m really looking for something reasonably light (under 2.25lbs) and preferably not longer than 18” - shorter is better with 6-7” of can hanging off the end.

FWIW- LaRue has really disappointed me - I was a fanboy for a long time but feel like their quality isn’t a match for their pricing. It’s good stuff but they price it like it’s GREAT STUFF; and there’s an awful lot of hype around stuff that’s really pretty (unnecessarily) heavy and clunky.

Have you heard of BSF carbon sleeved barrels? They’re pricey but less than Proof. I just can’t get with the pricing on Proof. On the other end, it seems that Odin is making some relatively affordable barrels that I see a lot of guys raving about. Know anything about them? Bartlein makes AR barrels?

Comment

That LaRue package is so tempting. I’ve got a spare lower and have been meaning to build something in a mid level caliber for whitetail and hogs.

Does anyone know how long they plan on running that deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                That LaRue package is so tempting. I’ve got a spare lower and have been meaning to build something in a mid level caliber for whitetail and hogs.

Does anyone know how long they plan on running that deal?

An undetermined amount of time. I’m so happy with mine that I bought two more.

Comment

I got my upper, waiting on my lower so i can duracoat it and get assembled. Cant find any forster 6.5 grendel dies though. Seems everyone is out of stock

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                    I got my upper, waiting on my lower so i can duracoat it and get assembled. Cant find any forster 6.5 grendel dies though. Seems everyone is out of stock
                    .463” at 100 yards with factory ammo at 85¢ each. I’m not reloading at that point.

Comment

I will. But my brother who also is waiting on his wont. What ammo is that with?

Comment

there is getting to be more and more factory ammo from Hornady and Federal with a few more entering the Grendel realm in 2108. Plus there is always some from Alexander Arms and smaller ammo companies.

I prefer reloads of my own brewing but most of the Hornady loads I have shot are capable of sub MOA. Most accurate bullet I have tried in my Grendels is the Berger 130gr hybrid, next is the 129gr LRAB followed by the 123gr A-Max. Haven't tried the light weights yet. I have 2 and both are long barreled at 22 and 24 inches, thinking about a 16 inch upper to replace the old 24 inch that I started the Grendel with about 8 or so years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                          there is getting to be more and more factory ammo from Hornady and Federal with a few more entering the Grendel realm in 2018. Plus there is always some from Alexander Arms and smaller ammo companies.

I prefer reloads of my own brewing but most of the Hornady loads I have shot are capable of sub MOA. Most accurate bullet I have tried in my Grendels is the Berger 130gr hybrid, next is the 129gr LRAB followed by the 123gr A-Max. Haven't tried the light weights yet. I have 2 and both are long barreled at 22 and 24 inches, thinking about a 16 inch upper to replace the old 24 inch that I started the Grendel with about 8 or so years ago.
                          Whats the rumor on whos adding factory offerings for 2018??

Comment

6.5 Grendel Upper

there is getting to be more and more factory ammo from Hornady and Federal with a few more entering the Grendel realm in 2108. Plus there is always some from Alexander Arms and smaller ammo companies.

I prefer loading my own too but my Grendel loves that Federal 130 Hybrid OTM. I wish the velocity was about 100fps higher but it’s dang sure consistent.

Comment

Good bullet and if you are running a 18 barrel or longer that is pretty easy to beat with reloads using CFE223 or Leverevolution.

Comment

6.5 Grendel Upper

Good bullet and if you are running a 18 barrel or longer that is pretty easy to beat with reloads using CFE223 or Leverevolution.

No doubt I could beat it velocity wise, especially with CFE223. I’ve not had as much luck with accuracy and consistently low SDs with it as of yet.

My gun has a 20” Bartlein 5R barrel with 8 twist. It’s an AR.

How did you work up your load with LeverRevolution?

Comment

Working...
                                X