2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
    should have taken more pics this weekend but without service, its easy to forget the phone. We were fishing off PINS and caught over 30 12" cats, couple whitening, and a bonehead hammerhead (<2ft). Anyone got some good tips for getting the sand out? my buddies couldnt handle the grit
    Baby powder will take sand off you if that's what you mean.

Comment

Cool Vid: Braid Color

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-yqvoejis&t=9s"]Underwater Visibility Test of Braided Fishing Lines - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
        Baby powder will take sand off you if that's what you mean.
        i meant the fish, baby powder works like a dream for me

Comment

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Fished West Matty Saturday morning. SHARKS were HORRIBLE! We lost 1 trout off the stringer, then the shark came back a few minutes later and took the entire stringer. We literally couldn’t leave a fish on the stringer for longer than 5 or 10 minutes before a **** shark would pop up.

We ended up with a limit of trout after weeding through a lot of dinks and getting ripped of by the tax man. We ended up walking each fish back to the boat in the end.

Didn’t get many pics, but here are two of the biggest trout we caught. The rest were 15-17”

Comment

should have taken more pics this weekend but without service, its easy to forget the phone. We were fishing off PINS and caught over 30 12" cats, couple whitening, and a bonehead hammerhead (<2ft). Anyone got some good tips for getting the sand out? my buddies couldnt handle the grit
            Wear surf trunks - no underwear.....BAGGIES. Cotton isn't the best - Nylon surf trunks are best. Quick dry and literally no chaff - designed to ride looser on thighs for surfers sitting on surfboard. Only way to go hours and or days along the sandy strand.

Carry a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Rub inner thighs and any area where you may be prone to chaff. Do this first thing and it will cover chaffing all day long. Or Extra Strong Desitin diaper rash ointment.

3 or 5 gallon bottle of water. Pour the water over your head for a final rinse off before rolling home.

A couple of big Gulp cups - fill them up with saltwater and pour over bare feet, before you put both feet into cab.
            Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-15-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
              Wear surf trunks - no underwear.....BAGGIES. Cotton isn't the best - Nylon surf trunks are best. Quick dry and literally no chaff - designed to ride looser on thighs for surfers sitting on surfboard. Only way to go hours and or days along the sandy strand.

Carry a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Rub inner thighs and any area where you may be prone to chaff. Do this first thing and it will cover chaffing all day long.

3 or 5 gallon bottle of water. Pour the water over your head for a final rinse off before rolling home.

A couple of big Gulp cups - fill them up with saltwater and pour over bare feet, before you put both feet into cab.
              bro i got some baaaad surf chafing. Had to work from home on monday, hurt to wear pants.

how do you de-sand fish for cooking out there?

Comment

bro i got some baaaad surf chafing. Had to work from home on monday, hurt to wear pants.

how do you de-sand fish for cooking out there?
                Take them out into the surf and wash them off there. Rub both sides of the skin and pull down toward tail. You can wipe the slime off your hands by grabbing fistfulls of sand, and rubbing them together underwater.

I usually knock the sand off the minute I pull fish off the hook, before I lay them into the ice chest. Let them die in the ice chest, then use a plank or board to filet them on after they are slightly chilled / firmed and ready to filet. Take some gallon zip lock bags and stuff those filets into the bag, place that back on ice as you get the fire ready.

Think wind and blowing sand for your fire and cooking setup. Use vehicles and ice chests to block out as much of both as you can.

Comment

Take them out into the surf and wash them off there. Rub both sides of the skin and pull down toward tail. You can wipe the slime off your hands by grabbing fistfulls of sand, and rubbing them together underwater.

I usually knock the sand off the minute I pull fish off the hook, before I lay them into the ice chest. Let them die in the ice chest, then use a plank or board to filet them on after they are slightly chilled / firmed and ready to filet. Take some gallon zip lock bags and stuff those filets into the bag, place that back on ice as you get the fire ready.

Think wind and blowing sand for your fire and cooking setup. Use vehicles and ice chests to block out as much of both as you can.
                  Always great info Rob

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

thank you good sir, ill have to give it a shot

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      What size and color do you use?
                      30# Ultracast Green. I buy the big spool.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        30# Ultracast Green. I buy the big spool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        Gracias for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                          Fished West Matty Saturday morning. SHARKS were HORRIBLE! We lost 1 trout off the stringer, then the shark came back a few minutes later and took the entire stringer. We literally couldn’t leave a fish on the stringer for longer than 5 or 10 minutes before a **** shark would pop up.

We ended up with a limit of trout after weeding through a lot of dinks and getting ripped of by the tax man. We ended up walking each fish back to the boat in the end.

Didn’t get many pics, but here are two of the biggest trout we caught. The rest were 15-17”

All I've heard this year is how bad the sharks are in West Matty and I've yet to see one after about 5 trips this year . Are you guys way down by the Jetties or what? I've been fishing around cottons mostly. Maybe I'm blind

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                            I finally decided to give braid another try recently, went with Fins Windtamer in 30lb on a Lews baitcaster. Spooled it tight, casting great and really liking the sensitivity of it and the hook setting power. Here's the problem, my first hookup, the line buried into itself on the spool and I couldn't cast more than the distance the line was out at hookup. Tried pulling line off the reel and spooling it back up and it did it again but this time with a massive backlash, WTH! I put it down and picked up another rod spooled with the trusty mono and fished the rest of the day.

So how do I make it work? It's obviously something I'm doing wrong or everyone would hate braid just like I do.

Some info:

No I did not put electrical tape on the spool or use a mono backing.
                            Fish was only about 20' in front of me when he hit, I'm having a hard time believing that a mono backing would have prevented it given I only had about 20' of line out at hook set.

I want to use this stuff but man it's hard to not go right back to the Berkley Trilene Smooth Casting 14lb I've used for the last 20 years.
                            I have had this same thing happen, but using 20LB PowerPro SS.
                            I put electrical tape on the spool, then filled about 1/3 with cheap mono, then topped with fins 30lb wind tamer. Never had it happen again and that's the setup on almost all of my wading rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                              All I've heard this year is how bad the sharks are in West Matty and I've yet to see one after about 5 trips this year . Are you guys way down by the Jetties or what? I've been fishing around cottons mostly. Maybe I'm blind
                              We stayed mainly around Greens. We usually fish east bay, but jump over to west a few times a year when east is blown out. I have never seen sharks this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                                We stayed mainly around Greens. We usually fish east bay, but jump over to west a few times a year when east is blown out. I have never seen sharks this bad.
                                Awe heck no that's a little too close!

Comment

Working...
                                X