Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get rid of stickers (north Texas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
    there is a product called image. it has field sandbur listed on the label. you will also want to put down a pre-emergent that has it listed as well. don't waste you time on msma, unless you own a golf course and have an applicators license you won't be able to get it and even those guys may not be able to get it any more. I have had good luck with image.

Edit: upon further research it appears you can purchase msma. I am going to have a little discussion with my supplier about this. I love this product but was under the assumption it was banned by the epa and only available to golf courses.

EPA only did enough to keep it off the shelves at Walmart, hardware stores, etc. As stated above, you can still buy it in 2.5 gal. at farm and ranch locations like COOP. MSMA and then fertilize and lime.

Comment

spray with diesel fuel and burn. about a month later do it again. Your problem this year will be gone. About March start doing it every month until about now. Year 3 and you don't have any problems. Did it around my house and worked great

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I just searched TBH for how to get rid of sand burrs and found this thread. Bringing it back up, I am sure others are fighting there things like I am.

I am assuming there are no new products that will work on the market?

Comment

Image or Permit for post emergent
          Atrazine and Resolute for pre emergent

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
            TruGreen got rid of my parents
            I didn’t even know TruGreen provided that service. I thought they just did chemical application, never knew they were into “wet work”

Comment

The only place I have them is along my driveway. It's a little over 500 feet long, and about 50% of it usually gets grass/sand burrs pretty bad. I usually mow it last and clean the burrs off the mower and tires before coming back in the yard to keep them quarantined. Late spring this year, I bought a different bahaia grass herbicide msm turf, not msma. Grass burrs were already growing when I sprayed. Burrs were gone by the next time I needed to mow. I did see a few a couple weeks ago, but it was less than a dozen plants and only 2 were making burrs. I dug up what I could find.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                Looks like sandburs are all you have. I would suggest MSMA if you had any bermuda, but you looks like you might as well roundup the whole yard!
                ^This^.......Brock, I have more msma than in can use. You're more than welcome to come get some. I live in NRH. Just PM me if you want some.
                Bobby

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=TeamAmerica;12581742]The best defense to any weed is a healthy yard of grass. Bermuda will do good. and keep it mowed as often as you can - it doesn't require a lot of water. if only a half acre, this should be manageable.

Leon co yard was full of them years ago . We mowed and fertilized continuously and during the years now have none in the yard. Pastures are still full of them.
                  Short term, those pre-Emergements seem like the ticket.

BP

Comment

All of the above, it took me a couple of years of spot spraying, hand picking, and pre-emergent. They still pop up when seeds wash in from uphill from me!

Comment

We moved onto our place 10 years ago and had a very healthy stand of grass burs in one area. To get control and maintain control has been fairly simple. I use Pendulum Aqua Cap first as a pre emergent in March then a followup in June. To lessen the overall impact of the plant, if after the March application if any plants are observed simply pull them out. Disposing of them either by fire or in a sack to the garbage collection.

Comment

Most of the mentioned herbicides will kill the ones you have. They will come back,though,if anyone around you has them. or you could wait until the little spines on them turn purple and wander around your yard barefoot and gather them up...

Comment

I think plateau is back on the market and cheaper than pastora.

Comment

My yard was infested 3 years ago when we bought it. Best route seems to Surflan as pre-emergent, apply lime, put out lots of fertilizer, and use celcius wg as weed killer. Celcius works with bermuda and st augustine grasses. I personally think the overdose of fertilizer is what knocks em back Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                              DuPont Pastora works great as an early POST EMERGENT. Soil temp has to be over 68 degrees and actual burrs cannot be formed on plant shaft. Kills them but doesn't harm coastal Bermuda.

Burn your yard every other year. Grass burrs can sprout after laying dormant for over 7 years. Been fighting them in pastures for over 50 years
                              On this web site, Pastora is $105 for 5 ounces, which when diluted will treat 2 acres. It also states in bold lettering, "Not for use on lawns". I only have an area about 4' X 10' that has scattered the sand burrs. That's probably not worth it since I have such a small area with sand burrs. We put a semi-in-ground pool in last July. They are all in the area next to the pool where the grass is sparse. I have been plucking the burrs off about twice a week and before mowing. To my knowledge, very few have fallen to the ground.

Comment

Velpar-L(Dupont)Spot spray,and pre-emergent from there on out.Non selective herbicide won't even phase it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X