Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    Saw a little more and it does look to be a non wheelie class after all

Well, if that’s the case, it will give all the guys shooting a fixed crawl and regular string walkers a place to go play!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would love to see a traditional "Dangerous Game Hunter" class.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        I would love to see a traditional "Dangerous Game Hunter" class.

Rick
        Yessir!

Comment

I wish ASA would separate the trad classes, you almost have to shoot a bow with a stabilizer and Aluminium riser to be competitive.They should put the compound classes together and how many participants they get so they can understand. IBO separates the classes, TBOT separates the classes. The string walk class is ok especially for them by knowing how far it is so they can walk it. I probably would not shoot it unless it was unknown distance. I also think they should stretch out the shots out to 30.
          ASA is a good organization I just wish they would concentrate on the trade shooter a little more.

Comment

I understand why some do.

My thing is - competition for me has always been about being a better shot for hunting, so I use the bow I hunt with.

Rick
            Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pardon my ignorance... What exactly defines barebow?

I speculate that it means no stabilizers, no rests, off the shelf only, no sights, finger release only, etc...as it implies...just stick and string? Im curious how thatd work with compound too.

How did it exclude string walking before?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                Pardon my ignorance... What exactly defines barebow?

I speculate that it means no stabilizers, no rests, off the shelf only, no sights, finger release only, etc...as it implies...just stick and string? Im curious how thatd work with compound too.

How did it exclude string walking before?
                It depends - governing organizations (FITA, IFAA, NFAA) have slightly different rules. What they have in common in their barebow definition is no sights, no releases. Many do allow elevated rests, cushioned plungers, counterweights/stabilizers, etc.
                Last edited by jerp; 07-12-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  It depends - governing organizations (FITA, IFAA, NFAA) have slightly different rules. What they have in common in their barebow definition is no sights, no releases. Many do allow elevated rests, cushioned plungers, counterweights/stabilizers, etc.
                  Fair enough. Thanks Jerp.

Comment

Here's how I see it.

There are those who shoot instinctive, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who gap shoot, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who face walk, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who string walk, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who excel in whichever method they choose, and there are those who do not.

In ALL of the above, the archer is using ONLY the bow, string & arrow to make the shot, with NO added accessories, and each has chosen the method they are the most comfortable, and confident with.

There should be NO distinction, determination, consideration in which to split them into different classes, because when there is no equipment difference it all falls onto the shooters abilities to make the shot. No more. No less.

Rick

Comment

I agree it's up to the shooter to make the shot.
                      I don't agree that all of the sightless aiming methods are on equal standing competition wise.
                      However I'm not worried about it because when I shoot it's about me and how I perform to my expectations. Not the other shooters.
                      I can see someone who wanted to be competitive having an issue with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        I don't agree that all of the sightless aiming methods are on equal standing competition wise.
                        The argument could easily be made, that one persons method of instinctive shooting isn't on equal standing competition wise as that of another instinctive shooter. Lots of definitions of instinctive floating around out there.

I can remember a time when folks threw a fit over someone shooting 3 under, and have personally seen shooters get chastised & disqualified from shoots for it. For the most part those days are long gone, Thank Goodness.

Point is - where equipment is equal - the accomplished shooters are going to rise to the top no matter what the rules of sighting methods are.

Just as an aside - I also remember folks complaining about stick on elevated rests, even though the one who was the brunt of most of their complaints could probably throw the arrow by hand, and still beat a lot of them. Sure, there definitely needs to be a line drawn on equipment, but I personally believe the socker mom mentality has taken that line to beyond the extreme.

That said - I follow, and shoot within the rules set forth by whatever venue I am shooting in. If there's enough about certain rules, that I don't like, then I just don't shoot, or I shoot as a non competitor. It's pretty simple, and keeps me happy.

Rick

Comment

I'm right handed and shoot split finger instinctive.

I had a scout challenge me at summer camp. He is a very good shot for no more than he shoots.

First round he beat me 53 to 47 out of a possible 60 points. I hadn't shot the bow before but it was just 26lbs draw at 28 so after the first couple shots I was dialed in. Later in the afternoon he wanted to go left handed and after a couple practice rounds was doing decent. Then the challenge came for that. Having never shot left handed I asked for one 6 arrow end to prepare. I knew the best chance I had to be coordinated enough to not look stupid and accurate enough to be competitive I would need to shoot three under, string walk and figure out what if any gap in those 6 arrows. I did so and he knew then it was over. In the 6 arrows of the challenge I had two 10s, five 9s and one 8.

Granted it was only 10 yards. But I had never shot left handed before. I had not shot three under or string walked before. I had watched a couple of videos and Rick can tell you we've had some discussions about it before.

It's not the same as instinctive shooting. It's easier to get adequate at it at short ranges for most shooters. That's why the guy who does "the push" is so popular.

People look for the easier way. That's why they buy the sight with a level and range finder built in. Always looking for the edge.

And I really don't think that's bad but I do think it puts the average instinctive shooter at a disadvantage competition wise.

Let the lashes with a wet noodle begin.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            I'm right handed and shoot split finger instinctive.

I had a scout challenge me at summer camp. He is a very good shot for no more than he shoots.

First round he beat me 53 to 47 out of a possible 60 points. I hadn't shot the bow before but it was just 26lbs draw at 28 so after the first couple shots I was dialed in. Later in the afternoon he wanted to go left handed and after a couple practice rounds was doing decent. Then the challenge came for that. Having never shot left handed I asked for one 6 arrow end to prepare. I knew the best chance I had to be coordinated enough to not look stupid and accurate enough to be competitive I would need to shoot three under, string walk and figure out what if any gap in those 6 arrows. I did so and he knew then it was over. In the 6 arrows of the challenge I had two 10s, five 9s and one 8.

Granted it was only 10 yards. But I had never shot left handed before. I had not shot three under or string walked before. I had watched a couple of videos and Rick can tell you we've had some discussions about it before.

It's not the same as instinctive shooting. It's easier to get adequate at it at short ranges for most shooters. That's why the guy who does "the push" is so popular.

People look for the easier way. That's why they buy the sight with a level and range finder built in. Always looking for the edge.

And I really don't think that's bad but I do think it puts the average instinctive shooter at a disadvantage competition wise.

Let the lashes with a wet noodle begin.

Granted it was only 10 yards.

That says a mouth full.

Any method takes a lot of work to get it where it is working.

String walking not only involves good form to pull it off, because you are adversely influencing your tune when you do it, thus it also requires you to be spot on with your tune for it to be consistent & reliable.

It's not something you can just got out & do willy nilly, and count on. Well maybe at 10 yards.

Rick

Comment

Stringwalking - if you are good at guessing distances - can give a distinct advantage IMO. Whether it is an unfair advantage is a matter of opinion. I think disallowing it goes back to the early days of 3D where you had two types of competitors. Many were hunters looking for competition as a realistic hunting experience but others came over from field archery where stringwalking is very common. There was conflict between two groups and the instinctive/gap guys won the argument. I’ve seen string walkers at our field shoots - remarkably accurate from known distances.
                              Last edited by jerp; 07-14-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Here's how I see it.

There are those who shoot instinctive, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who gap shoot, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who face walk, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who string walk, and those who can't get the hang of it.

There are those who excel in whichever method they choose, and there are those who do not.

In ALL of the above, the archer is using ONLY the bow, string & arrow to make the shot, with NO added accessories, and each has chosen the method they are the most comfortable, and confident with.

There should be NO distinction, determination, consideration in which to split them into different classes, because when there is no equipment difference it all falls onto the shooters abilities to make the shot. No more. No less.

Rick

This is spot on! I once more have to agree with Rick. We all gap at some point in some way. The arrow goes up and gravity takes it down! It's when you use peep sights and releases that are the real differences. Making the aiming smaller on small. If you don't know known distances by what ever method it's still a guessing game. The better you are at guessing the better archer. At the end
                                of the day all groups try to get there numbers up at the shoots how ever they can. Arvin

Comment

Working...
                                X