No announcement yet.

Braid to mono leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FG knot problem. You are either going toward or away from you twice when tying causing the problem. It should lay just like a Chinese finger cuff. I use it with 120# braid to 200# flouro to 6# braid to #12 flouro and never had an issue unless I made a mistake

Comment

I use a leader primarily because when I switched to braid, I went full bore with the Spiderwire 12lb diameter but 50 lb test... In that case, the line is no longer the weak link in the system... Broke a couple rods, and even bent a spool on a CuradoSF fishing for bull reds in the surf or ship channel around the Chandeleur's... I tie 4-6 foot of mono (used to use fluor, but found I don't like it), usually 20 or 30# to the braid with a crazy Alberto knot... I use micro-guides on some of my rods and have no issues with the knot passing thru the guides at all. I know backing off on the drag would help, but unless I'm targeting trout, I fish with a tight drag... I use mostly Trilene saltwater XT. To me it's just as tough as fluro and half the price... though price has absolutely zero to do with why I use it. It is not as stiff and does not take a "set" as easy as fluro for me...

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        FG knot problem. You are either going toward or away from you twice when tying causing the problem. It should lay just like a Chinese finger cuff.
        Do you mean the overhand knots at the end to finish it? As best as I can tell, I'm following this video exactly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
          Do you mean the overhand knots at the end to finish it? As best as I can tell, I'm following this video exactly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
          If you pull back toward the know when setting the overhand hitches at the end you can release the grip of the knot its self.

Only FG problem I have had is with the hitches coming unraveled from lots of casting, I know end the knot like bow serving where the tag end is under 5-6 wraps and that problem went away.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            FG knot to mate braid to mono. Almost all other knots that you can mate them have two problems
            -take too long to tie
            -bulky and don’t go through guides under pressure
            That's a pretty cool knot. I've always used the Alberto with no issues. But it is hard to sinch down and that knot there looks much easier to get tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
              24'' Flouro with Alberto, but if the water is off color and my leader gets short, I tie straight to braid. I prefer 36'' mono leader on my top water rod, not as stiff as the flouro and stays on top. If possible, I never tie braid straight to top water. I need a little stretch in the leader, it increases my hook up ratio. If your using a bait caster, I would never tie a leader where the knot enters your reel. G-Luck
              Why not? I do with the Alberto knot and have not had any issues at all. I have been doing this for quite a few years. Of course I snip the tag ends as short as possible to try and stop it from catching, but you can never get it completely smoothe. The only place I ever feel it catch though is on the rod eyes. Never had a problem in the reel.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel32 View Post
                I use around 6' of flourocarbon tied to the braid with an albright knot. I will re-tie around 18" or so
                same for me. The main reason I like the long leader is that I can cut back that leader for most of the day when changing out lures or hooks. The albright knot goes through the guides quite well. I only use recoil guides though.

Comment

Weakens/wears on the knot and also affects smoothness of cast. I've also seen it pop the insert off of level wind.
                  Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                  Why not? I do with the Alberto knot and have not had any issues at all. I have been doing this for quite a few years. Of course I snip the tag ends as short as possible to try and stop it from catching, but you can never get it completely smoothe. The only place I ever feel it catch though is on the rod eyes. Never had a problem in the reel.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                    I've also seen it pop the insert off of level wind.
                    Interesting and good to know. Ive never really felt it affect smoothness in the reel, but hitting the guides you can definitely feel. At any route, I will keep it out of the reel from now on just due to your statement there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                      6 feet with a crazy alberto knot
                      Pretty much what I do from baitcasters to spinning reels. I havent had any issues with the knot catching even on micro eye rods or lasting. Just last week I took off the leader on my wifes Penn battle that I tied in June of last year

Comment

It all depends on the structure and the lure or bait I'm fishing. Croaker over rocks I'm using around 18" with a barrel swivel. Topwaters or paddle tails over grass or sand potholes I'll bounce it up to 3 1/2 ft with a double uni or nail knot.

Comment

All flouro here for inshore bay tackle. 8lb or 10lb test lines. Tie straight to the lure.

Use to fish clear Ande 8lb test - back in the day. Decked 3 specks over 30" with that stretchy 8lb mono. Casting lures - 2 of the three on Mirolures and the 3rd a spoon. No issue with hook set and or fight. Light drag, wore them down and made the land. It was a bit nerve wracking but that's half the fun.

Less crap to deal with and clear and small lines cast a long way and go invisible in clear water. I fish clear water literally 95% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I fish with straight braid, unless the water is super clear. If you use a mono leader, you might as well spool up with mono.

Straight braid here to homie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                              That's a pretty cool knot. I've always used the Alberto with no issues. But it is hard to sinch down and that knot there looks much easier to get tight.
                              FG knot is what I use. Took me 2 or 3 attempts the 1st time, but it’s actually pretty easy and quick to tie. super low profile and took lots of wear and tear fishing, finally wore the rod end of the knot thread bare after lots of casts and retrieves. I like the idea of keeping the knot outside of the spool.

Comment

2-3' with double uni knot connecting. Landed the shark in my picture with this (not accounting for about 1' of wire on a barrel from the mono).

Comment

Working...
                                X