No announcement yet.

Galveston suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millers to eat. Hit it every time I'm there.

Comment

I saw Gypsy Joint on triple d the other day and it looked pretty good. Never eaten there though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
        El Nopalito, is a tried and true Ol'School Mezkin, place to eat... Great Menudo
        Is this over closer to The Strand? I ate at a place in an old house over there years ago.

Comment

Sonny's Place is great; best Muffuletta around. Cajun greek, Yaga's on the Strand is alright. Rudy and pacos is great, but its on the higher end of price. I'm saying no on DiBella's. My family likes Fishtales, Benno's and The Spot because its on the seawall

Comment

La Estacion for some great breakfast tacos!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
              Is this over closer to The Strand? I ate at a place in an old house over there years ago.
              truth be known, I have not been in a long time.. my sister still lives on the island , and she just went there
              El Nopalito
              614 42nd St
              Galveston, Tx

Comment

DiBellas closed about a year ago.

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                The Spot on the seawall is a great lunch spot and good views. Place gets packed so plan accordingly.

Cajun Greek has excellent seafood

Dibella's is a good Italian dinner spot

Maceo's downtown has good muffalattas

Shrimp and Stuff for poboys

Comment

That would be the Original Mexican Cafe in the old house. It’s down by the strand

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                    Take the ferry over to Crystal Beach and eat at Stingarees. You won't be disappointed!
                    If you go here you have to get the Key Lime pie, otherwise it was a waste of a perfectly good trip to the Stingaree. Just sayin!

Comment

Mosquito cafe and Farley girls

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilazo View Post
                        Just ate at the downtown Shrimp & Stuff last week. Impressed and not over priced.
                        X2

Comment

This is going to be pretty exhaustive...

Bronco Burritos – Good spot for breakfast burritos. Seriously delicious.
                          La Kings Confectionary – Located on the strand. They pull taffy here and have house made ice cream.
                          Jimmy’s on the Pier – Not worth eating dinner here, but their snapper nachos have been phenomenal every time I’ve got em.
                          BLVD Seafood – A little fancy of a place, but the seafood was really fresh and well prepared.
                          The Spot – Unique place. 5 different concepts in one location. I’ve hung out at the Tiki Bar and had some appetizers/drinks on several occasions. Good view of the Gulf. If you can catch happy hour here on Friday, check out the shrimp kisses.
                          Nick’s Kitchen and Beach Bar – Another good place for drinks and appetizers. Their fried cheese sticks are huge.
                          Cajun Greek – Neat Cajun/Greek food fusion place on 61st.
                          Shrimp N Stuff – Hole in the wall type place that has just about all the fried seafood covered.
                          Texas Seaport Museum – A museum that also does boat tours of Galveston harbor. You will probably see dolphins on the harbor tour.
                          Stingaree Restaurant, Bar & Marina – If you get the urge to take the ferry across to Bolivar, this is a good spot to grab lunch or dinner. Good view of the intercoastal and the food is really good. Open atmosphere bar underneath the restaurant, usually has a band playing there during the weekend.
                          Seawolf Park – There’s an underwater warfare museum here that is worth the visit.
                          The Bryan Museum – Texas history museum. Really cool collection
                          Mario’s Pizza – Pizza spot towards the west end of the island.
                          CafĂ© Michael Burger – Burger and German food joint. Also towards west end.
                          Nate’s West End – Seafood & steak place.

Pretty cool to drive to the very east end of Seawall Blvd. You can watch the ships coming in and out of the ship channel. Impressive size on some of em. You can park at the end of Seawall Blvd or pretty much anywhere along Boddecker Rd.

Comment

Curious what the green screen would suggest for a day trip to the beach. Wife wants to bring the kids down just for the day one Saturday soon. Swim, beach it up for the day, then head home. Preferably somewhere that we can easily get coolers and our own picnic style lunch in with us. Any areas to check out or avoid? Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
                              Curious what the green screen would suggest for a day trip to the beach. Wife wants to bring the kids down just for the day one Saturday soon. Swim, beach it up for the day, then head home. Preferably somewhere that we can easily get coolers and our own picnic style lunch in with us. Any areas to check out or avoid? Thanks for the help!
                              There are beach access points all along Galveston Island and the Blue Water Highway in Brazoria County. The access points in Galveston tend to only allow limited driving so they can get crowded on weekends. Most of the access points and beaches in Brazoria County allow unlimited driving so you should be able to get away from the crowds somewhat if there are a lot of people on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
                                Just my opinion, but if you are just looking for a day trip to the beach and plan to pack in most items, I'd lean towards going to Surfside or driving to Sargent. Much easier in and out and less crowds.

Galveston crowds are brutal on weekends as well as traffic in and out. If it were a week day, not nearly as much an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X