Need Some New Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some New Glass

Hey guys, I've got a couple of trips planned this summer and into the fall, and I'm really trying to step my game up when it comes to some long range lenses. I'll be in Oregon for a week travelling to a bunch of different parks, and also spending some time in New Mexico etc. Hoping to get some great wildlife shots with my Canon 7d Mark II.

Right now, I'm trying to either find a Canon 100-400L IS Mark I (can't afford the second generation) or possibly the tamron 150-600mm g2.

Anyone have any other recommendations of alternative lenses (good or bad experiences with either?), or have one of the lenses above that they would like to sell? I need to stay fairly budget friendly, but hoping to get something decent.

Canon 100-400

I cannot speak for the tamron but I will tell you I have the 100-400 and use it quite a bit and love it. Several of my pictures on this sight are shot with this lens. You would be very happy with it. Good luck with your search. If I see one then I will certainly let you know. https://jeffhutto.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
      I cannot speak for the tamron but I will tell you I have the 100-400 and use it quite a bit and love it. Several of my pictures on this sight are shot with this lens. You would be very happy with it. Good luck with your search. If I see one then I will certainly let you know. https://jeffhutto.smugmug.com
      Awesome shots on your site. I am leaning more towards the canon I think, and those shots definitely help convince me that is a good idea. Thanks.

Comment

The 100-400 is a push/pull zoom, correct? I have not experimented with one of those, yet. Seems like it would be awkward.

Comment

The mkII version is not push/pull.

Comment

100-400

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
            The 100-400 is a push/pull zoom, correct? I have not experimented with one of those, yet. Seems like it would be awkward.
            Yes, the 1st generation is push/pull and is a little awkward but most of the time when shooting the wildlife it is at 400mm anyway for me. I have not messed with the MKII but Bill M said it is not. I'm sure the MKII is more crisp and even focuses faster but I have been very happy with the 1st so far.
            Last edited by jdma; 06-27-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Jeff are you the one I sold my 100-400 to?

Comment

100-400

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                Jeff are you the one I sold my 100-400 to?
                No sir. I have had mine a few years. I bought mine on craigslist in Humble

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
                  No sir. I have had mine a few years. I bought mine on craigslist in Humble
                  Ok thanks. The guy that bought it lives or did live over your direction and it was through TBH but I can't remember now who it was.

Comment

So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Canon 100-400L IS1. Playing around with it in the backyard and my only model so far has been this squirrel. I think it's going to be a heck of a fun lens. Can't wait to take it to New Mexico and Oregon this summer.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good. That lens will give you a lot of bokeh if you can keep your target close enough. Keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                      X