Another Early Bronco thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the great builds and interest in Early Bronco here lately, I figured I might chronicle my build.

I have owned this 1976 rig since 1996, it was my daily driver for years, then it became a weekend fun toy.

9 years ago, I tore it down with the intention of building up a really amazing trail machine. I got it torn down, and while I was buying parts and drawing up a plan, all my buddies sold their rigs, so I abandoned mine in the shop. It became a sad "catch all" and a bit of an eyesore. Recently, Mrs and I have decided that it is time to accelerate our plans to buy a small ranch, so I am building this back up with the intention of selling it.

I don't have any pictures of when I brought it home, but this is what it looked like when I drove it every day:

Then it bgot a little bigger, and beefier:

Then bigger, and beefier still:

Then, I tore it down.

The plan was to 4-link the rear, and build a really great cage. Money and interest dried up about the time all my wheeling buddies retired.

This weekend, Twerpasaurus went out and helped me get it back up on all 4's. The first time in years it has been off jackstands.

Next trip we will get the drive lines buttoned up, and new fuel lines plumbed. Then I will get it started back up.

Once it is running, I will sort out the cosmetics.

This is a project that will take weeks to get done, it is 130 miles from home, so I can only work on it on the weekends.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately - Thoreau

Going to be nice, always liked those early ones. My dad had 2 different ones when i was to young to appreciate them.

Comment

I came across this one the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a super nice uncut. Where did you see it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
          That is a super nice uncut. Where did you see it?

Just out side of Austin, in Cedar Park. I run calls all the time in that neighborhood and it has not moved in at least 5-7 years

Comment

Well.

Not much progress has been made since deer season. I hunted a bunch, and have farted around not making much progress.

Twerpy came out, and helped me sort out the front end, stabbed the T-case, and buttoned up some more stuff.

This weekend is Twerpy birthday weekend, so no progress to be made.

I will get out there again next weekend, to get the brakes bled, steering pump installed, and try to fire it for the first time in years.

After it's running, time to make it pretty for the next owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Turns out, I really stink at photo chronicles

Sometimes you uncover some treasures when rummaging through old parts boxes.

Comment

More pics?

Comment

I promise to take more pictures the next time I'm out.

I have done a poor job of taking pics so far.

It was torn down pretty far. The engine was all I had left in the body and frame when I began reassembling. I had removed everything in preparation to make major modifications that never happened.

When I tore this one down, I started building up a 1968 model, that was supposed to be for Mrs. she never took an interest in it, so I built and sold it as a good trail machine.

The 76 is an amazing rig, full of premium parts. I will have to sit down and find my list of upgrades.

Since I am building this to sell, I will have a few parts to sell off along the way. I will work on getting them listed.

Comment

Here are some old pics

Comment

Following

I have a 76 to fix up one of these days

Is the Reid racing stuff what is required to convert to power steering?

Comment

I'm in the market for one with a 15k budget if anyone see's anything keep me in mind please.

Comment

I'm intrigued...

Just how simple did that cassette actually make Spanish?
                          Also, noting "Tape 1" indicates that there are more. Do we have a lead on the others?

Comment

Sweet bronco!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                            l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                            ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I remembered your Screen Name and the bronco from the JNT and cowtown days...

Always liked your EB will be sad to see it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X