Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Toyota with more than 200k miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota makes a great vehicle. Timing belt replacement every 100k is a good rule. Have mechanic check compression and look at the transmission closely for leaks and slipping. Properly maintained and it will run for many more miles.

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
      T belt is a wear item. Not an ‘issue’ generally speaking. It should be on its second at least. But yes you should check if it’s been done and when. 10yr 100k is a decent rule of thumb.

If these trucks have some specific issue with it disregard.
      I have a 1998 4 Runner with 172K on it and my mechanic says when we do the timing belt again the water pump is standard replacement as you have most all of it torn down at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by ranchdog View Post
        I have a 1998 4 Runner with 172K on it and my mechanic says when we do the timing belt again the water pump is standard replacement as you have most all of it torn down at that point.
        Thats exactly right. My belt came with water pump kit.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          Several ad's I came across mentioned the timing belt had been replaced.
          Indicating to me that a timing belt issue exist. Before buying you might Google this issue to see if it is a big deal.
          Your indicator is broken. Lots of Toyota engines are interference engines. I changed mine out at 150k on my 4.7 v8.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by jaime1982; 04-16-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Mine has 247,000 on it. I'm putting new bushings and ball joints on the front, replacing struts and what not this week. Have had my hub bearings and U joints replaced. When the time comes I'll drop a transmission in it and a short block then drive it til I'm dead.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Any interference design engine needs the timing belt replaced on or before the recommended interval. If you don't, you take the life of your engine into your own hands.

Toyotas seem to go forever with regular maintenance. Just be sure the maintenance has been done and then keep it up yourself.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                Your indicator is broken. Lots of Toyota engines are interference engines. I changed mine out at 150k on my 4.7 v8.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I don't think you can fairly say my indicator is wrong when it's apparently pretty standard to replace it under 200k. I don't own one but many ad's for them mention having been replaced. Probably.good info to know for a fella who says he's looking cor one.

Comment

03 tacoma with 177k. Use it as a street legal Polaris ranger. Regular cab 4x4 paid $5000 for it. I personally, replaced lower and upper ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends. Used all oem parts. Starts every time and runs great. A/c is ice cold and heat is great. Great grocery getter and use it for Home Depot runs and leave the 2017 super duty for real work and road trips in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                  X