This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    I definitely support limiting the applications to one per category, especially with Youth.
    Youth seems to have a lot of no-shows and I think that's largely because guys get on and put their kid in for every hunt under the sun without even bothering to look at dates or locations or ask their freaking mom if they can go so when they get drawn they just no-show.

Every year I read 3 or 4 posts just like yours, and this year we'll see 3 or 4 more. Almost seems as if the system weights heavily for new applicants to hook them in. It would be different if you got drawn once, but every post like yours is always drawn multiple hunts in different areas while guys with 10 pref points 0 out every year.

Agreed, doubt there's a lot of people out of state trying to apply for these hunts they're not spectacular. Maybe the special ones but Gun Antlerless at Choke Canyon, etc? lol just no...

As for the guys complaining about the application fees and such, Texas does charge more for licenses for them. Now I don't have a LOT of experience out of state, but I seem to recall when I applied for Wyoming that the *application fees* are the same across the board, but the Antelope tags/license is where the non-resident gets charged more. Doesn't seem much different here, application fee is the same across the board and non-res pays more for license.

Last year, there was a guy on a hunt that was from California, at what I'll consider a "not spectacular" location, so I bet it happens more than you would think.

Comment

4th yr for me to put in for draw. I enter archery deer & exotic and gun deer & exotic. I did add balconies this year just because it's close. No luck yet, just points. Fingers crossed & hoping this will be the yr, because I probably won't be making it to CO for a week this season as my wife and I just had our 1st born

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        Keep forgetting to put in.
        Will do that today

Wouldn't mind getting back down to James D WMA again
        I'm with you there, I even have the vacation to spare for a trip to put in for a standby. Problem is they limit the number of hunters so low that it really limits the standby opportunity.

Last year on the bow hunt we had about a dozen hunters show up and they pulled two cards. I think he only had one standby opening but every group seemed to contain a kiddo or two so he may have been feeling generous.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          Question:

Says up to 4 can apply on the same card. Does this increase your chances of being drawn, like rack person gets their name in the hat and any one of the four gets drawn the others three get drawn too, or do they just draw cards
          You get groups points, so not sure how that figures into it. Every time we have been selected, we had four people submitted.

Comment

The response I got from TPWD is that:
            Nonresidents make up 7% of applications
            Their survey showed 78% satisfaction rate with the system among hunters.
            Zero chance of making the hunts longer than two days.

So i guess I can feel better that I voiced my opinion but its clear that the current system is here to stay. I guess I will continue to only apply for the free hunts and nothing else. Im sure glad there is a little bit of national forest left in Texas and that I can go out of state to hunt a couple times a year.

I figured this info would be of value to some here.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post

So i guess I can feel better that I voiced my opinion but its clear that the current system is here to stay. I guess I will continue to only apply for the free hunts and nothing else. Im sure glad there is a little bit of national forest left in Texas and that I can go out of state to hunt a couple times a year.

I guess a "C" rating is good enough for them. I'm glad to be part of the 22%.

Thanks for the post

Comment

Lots of crying and complaining on this post about a state run hunt that is very cheap by current market standards.

News flash ItS A DRAW FOLKS!!! Not everyone gets drawn and just because you have been entering the past decade doesn't mean you will be drawn either.

Put your big boy underwear on and be thankful we have the option to enter. I've donated several years now and never been drawn for anything. I don't feel the need to complain every year afterwards though.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I definitely support limiting the applications to one per category, especially with Youth.
                  Youth seems to have a lot of no-shows and I think that's largely because guys get on and put their kid in for every hunt under the sun without even bothering to look at dates or locations or ask their freaking mom if they can go so when they get drawn they just no-show.

Every year I read 3 or 4 posts just like yours, and this year we'll see 3 or 4 more. Almost seems as if the system weights heavily for new applicants to hook them in. It would be different if you got drawn once, but every post like yours is always drawn multiple hunts in different areas while guys with 10 pref points 0 out every year.

Agreed, doubt there's a lot of people out of state trying to apply for these hunts they're not spectacular. Maybe the special ones but Gun Antlerless at Choke Canyon, etc? lol just no...

As for the guys complaining about the application fees and such, Texas does charge more for licenses for them. Now I don't have a LOT of experience out of state, but I seem to recall when I applied for Wyoming that the *application fees* are the same across the board, but the Antelope tags/license is where the non-resident gets charged more. Doesn't seem much different here, application fee is the same across the board and non-res pays more for license.

I totally agree with the youth hunts. It's easy to apply for everything and it's free. There is no penalty for accepting the hunt and not showing. Standby on youth hunts are very rare- so the hunt goes unfilled.

In the annual survey, I suggested that youth that get selected for multiple hunts select only one and return they others for the second draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's get the post back on track...

Let's see some pics of animals taken on the draw hunts !

Comment

I'm signed up for the "normal hard to get exotic hunts" and I'm technically a NR, but I bought my lifetime license before I left a year ago so nanny nanny poo poo!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                        Let's get the post back on track...

Let's see some pics of animals taken on the draw hunts !

Here are 3 that my daughter took at the Devils river. This was here 2nd year applying and she has drawn 3 hunts but this one was the best by far!!!

Comment

Not a great picture but here's a 10 point taken from Matagorda island two seasons ago.Click image for larger version

Name:	20151201_084525.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	24502416

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post

Sounds like a typical response from TPWD Everyone keep hammering on them and maybe they'll change. In the meantime everyone have fun applying err I mean donating.

Comment

I've only been putting in the draws for a couple of years and have yet to be drawn but had a question on applying as a group vs. individual.

There was some talk earlier in the thread about this could hurt your chances and some other guys have mentioned they have always been drawn as a group. I've always applied with a few buddies so we have similar points but would we have a better shot if we each applied as individuals?

Thanks.

Comment

First of the draws are coming up quick

Comment

Working...
                                X