Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice!!

Comment

That’s pretty dang nice, very clean and professional looking.

Comment

Top notch work.

Comment

Dang! That’s a high end feeder! Good work

Comment

Very nice work. Did you cut the parts on a plasma table? How did you keep everything square with all the heat from those long welds? Maybe the non square shape helps? I built a rectangular feeder body a while back and it got pretty bad out of square even though i tacked it all square before welding. How did you close up where the legs slide in? And are top of legs welded to inside?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
              Very nice work. Did you cut the parts on a plasma table? How did you keep everything square with all the heat from those long welds? Maybe the non square shape helps? I built a rectangular feeder body a while back and it got pretty bad out of square even though i tacked it all square before welding. How did you close up where the legs slide in? And are top of legs welded to inside?

The sheet iron hopper was sheared, pressed and broke. Minimal if any heat induced that way. As far as welding it up and staying ahead of the heat draw that’s kinda hard to explain, it’s something you learn from experience. I’m not a professional, don’t fab and weld for a living, and don’t have any certs. But I do know that heated metal is going to draw, bow, warp as it cools so you have to do what you gotta do and keep the heat transfer across the whole thing as minimal as possible. Tack everything up and only weld in about 5” increments is what I do on the 16ga. It’ll still draw from the heat a little bit, bit a very little bit isn’t anything that’s a deal breaker for me. The leg holes were just welded up where they slide in, and they are stitched on the inside of the hopper to the top about every 6”. Hope that helps
              Last edited by MASTERS; 09-22-2020, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                The sheet iron hopper was sheared, pressed and broke. Minimal if any heat induced that way. As far as welding it up and staying ahead of the heat draw that’s kinda hard to explain, it’s something you learn from experience. I’m not a professional, don’t fab and weld for a living, and don’t have any certs. But I do know that heated metal is going to draw, bow, warp as it cools so you have to do what you gotta do and keep the heat transfer across the whole thing as minimal as possible. Tack everything up and only weld in about 5” increments is what I do on the 16ga. It’ll still bow a little bit, bit a very little bit isn’t anything that’s a deal breaker for me. The leg holes were just welded up where they slide in, and they are stitched on the inside to the top about every 6”. Hope that helps
                Awesome thanks for the info. I really appreciate builds that are this well done.

I originally designed and built these bases to just set a barrel on top of. Then i couldnt find any barrels with lids so i just built boxes. Would have been a lot simpler if i had planned for that from the beginning. Riding that struggle bus making all cuts with an angle grinder.

Comment

Really nice work!

Comment

Solid work!

Comment

Great looking welds. Mine look like....not that.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                        Awesome thanks for the info. I really appreciate builds that are this well done.

I originally designed and built these bases to just set a barrel on top of. Then i couldnt find any barrels with lids so i just built boxes. Would have been a lot simpler if i had planned for that from the beginning. Riding that struggle bus making all cuts with an angle grinder.

I've cut a lot of metal with a metabo 6'' cutoff grinder. You can make precise clean cuts and keep the heat down while doing so....

Comment

thats nice man!

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                            The sheet iron hopper was sheared, pressed and broke. Minimal if any heat induced that way.
                            Is this how you bent the funnel down part of the hopper into "shape". From the looks of it, it appears like you pre-cut 4 equal templates of the sheet metal, crimped and pressed the "funnel" part and bottom opening for feeder hole, and welded the 4 pieces together. What does sheared, pressed and broke mean?

Can you share the size dimensions for the template? I want to try this.

Thanks in advance.

I'm an accountant by the way, who happens to mig weld for hunting fun. That is tight work sir. Very nice. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X