Kenmore freezer thaws twice in 18 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenmore freezer thaws twice in 18 months

Well, I went out to the freezer in the garage to grab some chicken to thaw for dinner and found that even though it was running... it was barely even up to fridge temps.

This is the second time in the 18 months since we bought it that it has been found thawed out.

The first time, there was a large buildup of ice around the coils and circulation fan, which I assumed was from the freezer being un-level and not draining the thaw cycle properly. I packed everything I could save in coolers and dry ice, thawed everything out, re-leveled it, let it run for a few days to make sure it was working.... and went back to using it.

It hasn’t been six months since the first problem, and there’s no sign of ice buildup this time like the previous one. The fan was running, the compressor was running.... it just wasn’t freezing.

Does anyone make a good freezer anymore. Or do you just pay $500+ and hope it doesn’t bite the bucket right after the 1 year warranty is out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost 4 deer last year in the freezer. Over $1k in sausage and backstrap, just counting processing fees. Taped it up and made them come get it, had it replaced, and keeping fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
      Lost 4 deer last year in the freezer. Over $1k in sausage and backstrap, just counting processing fees. Taped it up and made them come get it, had it replaced, and keeping fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

If I was within warranty, I would have been tempted to do the same thing.

Comment

Craigslist and Facebook have been good to me

Comment

We had the same problem with our garage refrigerator. It would freeze up and then not get cold. We could thaw it out and it would work great for a few weeks then freeze up again. Got it fixed. The repairman changed a defrost timer and the thermocouple and it has worked great ever since. Seems the timer lets it defrost periodically which keeps the ice build up down. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
            We had the same problem with our garage refrigerator. It would freeze up and then not get cold. We could thaw it out and it would work great for a few weeks then freeze up again. Got it fixed. The repairman changed a defrost timer and the thermocouple and it has worked great ever since. Seems the timer lets it defrost periodically which keeps the ice build up down. Good luck.

I need to look into this have a whirlpool fridge that freezes up every 6 months and thaws out. Problem is its at the deer lease so its not found until weeks later. Really makes for a bad trip when that happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

g1----- is right....

Comment

I bet is has a defrost problem. Freezers (residential) must run a defrost cycle 4 times a day. When they go into defrost, the compressor and inside fan stops, and a heater comes on to melt the ice off the coil. There is a small thermostat on the coil that senses when the ice is gone, and terminates the heater, and starts the compressor. The inside fan remains off, so it doesn't circulate the heat from the defrost to the freezer compartment. Once the coil gets to a suitable temp, the fan comes on and the freezer runs normal until the next defrost cycle. Some electronic controls will only run a defrost cycle when it is needed, called demand defrost.
                So, you can have an issue with the defrost timer or the termination thermostat, or the sensor or board if you have electronic controls. The defrost timer is usually mounted under the freezer near the compressor, and is relatively easy to change. A screw holds it in place, and it has a plug with the wires , or individual plugs on each wire. The defrost termination thermostat is connected on the coil, and requires disassembly of the freezer inside.
                Your freezer says it is a Kenmore, but is most likely a Frigidaire, and I have never had an appliance with that name that lasted very long.
                I am not a appliance technician, but I have done a fair amount of commercial refrigeration in my HVAC&R career.

Comment

My home depot cheap freezer is going 2 years straight-$170

Comment

Bought one that wasn't frost free 16 years ago. Was told the defrost system was a problem waiting to happen

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Something to think about, I purchased off of Amazon a wireless temperature reader called "Temp Stick". It is connected to my internet and you download an app and can check your temperature inside your freezer whenever. It tracks your freezers activity as well so you can see what the cycles look like throughout any given day. I also purchased another cheaper option on Amazon that is wireless, but you put the reader on your fridge door and it let's you know the temperature. It come's with 2 sticks so you can put one on your deep freeze in the garage or wherever and another in your main freezer/fridge.

My wife is breast feeding so if we were to have a freezer go out I am pretty sure I'd be murdered or my wife would really lose it so it's a great piece of mind Losing over 1,500 ounces of breast milk isn't an option.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cram369 View Post
                        Bought one that wasn't frost free 16 years ago. Was told the defrost system was a problem waiting to happen

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We bought this after my 1943 Leonard chest freezer finally died. That dang thing ran for 74 years without fail. This piece of malarkey lasted 18 months.
                        The Leonard would freeze so cold that you needed gloves to get anything from the garage to the kitchen.
                        If I just could have repaired that Leonard, I would have been happy. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find an appliance repair man within 3 counties that would touch it. Also, you could fit a mountain of food in that thing!

Comment

I prefer non-frost free for a deep freeze. Especially for the garage. They are cheaper and last longer IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                            I prefer non-frost free for a deep freeze. Especially for the garage. They are cheaper and last longer IMO.

Can you still buy non frost free?

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                              Can you still buy non frost free?

Yessir you can, went this route when buying one for my garage 5 years or so ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X