Camera Tripod - Light and Compact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Tripod - Light and Compact

My wife and I booked a Africa hunt for Summer 2019. What is the best light weight camera tripod that will fit in my luggage and not weigh a ton?

Curious as well. Although, if you go over to the rokslide website and search through their forums, you’ll find a lot of info on this. It’s basically a forum of back country hunters and they are gear heads as well as ounce counting minimalist! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
      Curious as well. Although, if you go over to the rokslide website and search through their forums, you’ll find a lot of info on this. It’s basically a forum of back country hunters and they are gear heads as well as ounce counting minimalist! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks! I will check it out. I think one of the brands I have in the blinds at the deer camp weigh about 2 pounds without the head. Doesn't sound like a lot, but things that weigh pounds add up.

Comment

I have the aluminum Promaster XC525 and have been pleased with it. It weighs about 3.5 pounds and can be found on amazon for about $150. I used it as is for 3 years and just spent the money for a really nice ball head. They also make a carbon fiber version that is about 2.5 pounds, but $300.

I did see Amazon now had one of their own Amazon Basics tripods in carbon fiber that weighs 2.5 pounds and is $89. That’s a hard deal to pass up. Even if the ball head is junk you can get a really good replacement head for $150-$200.

For photography I prefer the ball head for easy maneuverability in the field. I run a Canon 60D with a battery grip and Canon L 17-40, 24-105, and a 100-400 lenses, and have no issues with the standard tripod and head supporting those weights.

Comment

I took my Sunpak 620-060TM Tripod and with a good fluid head it did a good job, but the neck on the tripod head was weak. The appeal was it has the monopod/tripod in one. At 3 lbs it was heavy, for what I packed. BUT I will pack lighter next time. Took WAY too many clothes and hunting gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
            My wife and I booked a Africa hunt for Summer 2019. What is the best light weight camera tripod that will fit in my luggage and not weigh a ton?
            When are you going and with what Outfitter. We fly out June 30 and are hunting with African Arrow Safari

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Killem all View Post
              When are you going and with what Outfitter. We fly out June 30 and are hunting with African Arrow Safari
              Matsuri Safaris and planning on flying out at the end of June 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                Thanks for the info!

Matsuri Safaris and planning on flying out at the end of June 2019.

Sounds like I’ll be at Matsuri right before you. We’ll be there June 14-22 I think

Comment

Here are some for the budget minded shopper.

Last edited by El General; 07-12-2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

What about a BogPod with a camera attachment? I haven’t used one for a camera put have used it for a walking stick while hikeing.

Comment

The camera attachment for big pods isn’t great. The tripod I posted folds inside itself to be 16” long and extends plenty y’all to use it as a rifle rest if need be, but in Africa your PH will have stocks for you to shoot off anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                        Here are some for the budget minded shopper.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections...-tripod-system
                        I'm not sure I can afford $12 an ounce

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                        Sounds like I’ll be at Matsuri right before you. We’ll be there June 14-22 I think
                        That's awesome! We are going to finalize our dates once we can book our airline tickets. My wife mentioned that they only book 330 days out in advance. Have you booked your flights? Right now we are looking at flying out on Thursday June 27th, but might budget a few more days for Kruger National Park. Van suggested it would be worth it.

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                        I have the aluminum Promaster XC525 and have been pleased with it. It weighs about 3.5 pounds and can be found on amazon for about $150. I used it as is for 3 years and just spent the money for a really nice ball head. They also make a carbon fiber version that is about 2.5 pounds, but $300.

I did see Amazon now had one of their own Amazon Basics tripods in carbon fiber that weighs 2.5 pounds and is $89. That’s a hard deal to pass up. Even if the ball head is junk you can get a really good replacement head for $150-$200.

For photography I prefer the ball head for easy maneuverability in the field. I run a Canon 60D with a battery grip and Canon L 17-40, 24-105, and a 100-400 lenses, and have no issues with the standard tripod and head supporting those weights.
                        I'm pretty sure I have Promaster in one of our blinds out west. I will need to see what I have then go from there. I know the Manfrotto I have is heavy.

Comment

I have the Voetex SST Tripod and like it a lot. Very versatile but weighs 2.2lbs

Comment

Working...
                          X