No announcement yet.

Home Warranty??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had one when we bought our house because the seller paid for it. It wasn't worth it to pay for myself as others have said they don't cover everything and just band aid what they do fix and try to up sell you. In the long run, you're better off taking that $500 cost and put it in savings each year for your own emergency fund.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
      Why would you buy a home with a home warranty?
      Because providing for yourself through planning is a better financial move.

**wait a second... you pulled the old switcheroo!!!
      Last edited by meltingfeather; 05-01-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        One of our clients just recently used their home warranty. There was an A/C problem a month after buying their new home. Warranty company got the problem resolved in a timely manner and all is good.
        Question is, would you drive off the car lot in a new car without insurance? Why would you buy a home with a home warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This isn't really a valid comparison. Most "home warranties" cover very minor electrical and appliance issues. There's a reason they only cost $400 (and they're making good money on just that). Their scope is extremely limited.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
          Completely disagree with this. I had over $1,500 worth of work done in the first year and only paid $150, which was a $75 charge each time. It is well worth it. I wouldn’t buy a home without it.
          I completly disagree with your story based on my opinion.

Comment

I use it

If what they do does not fix it then have them back out. Freon is on your dime

Comment

I’ve had 4 a/c capacitors replaced
              Refridgerator mother board replaced
              Dishwasher repaired
              Fan replaced
              Small dorm size fridge fixed twice

Comment

Why would an ac tech charge a unit without verifying where the leak is and offering a permanent fix?
                It’s like having a flat and just airing it up. Except the air is $100/lb

Comment

Oh, and I would stay away from home warranties.

If you already have it, why not try to use it? But I personally wouldn’t pay for one. I would rather pay for quality work to be done.

Comment

I fought with mine for a simple AC fix. I ended up chasing the AC guy out of my house and fixing it myself. He tried to feed me a line of crap about how my coils not being cleaned properly made the Air handler control board go out. He said my coils were 100% block which was total BS.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                      Why would an ac tech charge a unit without verifying where the leak is and offering a permanent fix?
                      It’s like having a flat and just airing it up. Except the air is $100/lb
                      It was late yesterday evening. They did offer to verify where the leak is and offer a permanent fix at a time of my choosing.

Comment

I have lived in my house for 20 years, at 400/year (cheap end), I have not had $8000 worth of repairs that a home warranty would cover. I am way better off saving the cost of that (and all the warranty plans on anything you buy) and paying for those repairs as they happen and use quality providers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                          they are jokes
                          Completely agree with this

Comment

I had one with the home I bought 3 yrs ago as it came with it paid by the sellers. I had my garbage disposal go out & they replaced it at a $65 service charge. However, I never renew as they typically will bandaid as mentioned above on more major cost items. I’d rather use my own replicable A/C guy that will work honestly on fixing what needs to be fixed. If you have frigerant leaking & it’s time for replacement then I’d be afraid they’ll use an installer that will be less than stellar and I’d be willing to bet they’ll want you to go the cheaper “swap out” method of changing out A-coil & compressor system. Going this route you typically will not have a manufacturer warranty & could end up costing you more down the road. I personally don’t think they are worth the $400-$500 per year cost

Comment

We used ours for the A/C unit. Saved about $5K, but took 3 weeks or so. Just make sure the A/C guy documents age and all, they will probably replace. Not bad this time of year, but it was August for us, still worth the wait to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                                Completely disagree with this. I had over $1,500 worth of work done in the first year and only paid $150, which was a $75 charge each time. It is well worth it. I wouldn’t buy a home without it.
                                You sell home warranties, don't you?

Comment

Working...
                                X