Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will tell one on my Dad.

Gave him a box of 30-06 Springfield Remington 55gr Accelerator bullets. Told hime it was not a deer round and he should use it to blow up ground hogs. It goes almost 4000 fps.
    He went to the range and sighted in his gun with it and on the first morning I hear boom. Kool dad got a deer. Drive over to get him and he is standing over a doe with a huge hole going through her and tiny bone fragments from her nose to tail.
    I said you used an accelerator didn't you?

Enjoy the video.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPLfRrn2WHI"]SLOW MOTION 30-06 Springfield Remington 55gr Accelerator impacting ballistic gelatin - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
      OK, here's my mistakes.
      Hunting the BAO for the first time on a late season doe hunt I had a doe come in. I was sitting in a box blind shooting thru shoot thru mesh for the first time. Had a doe come in and glassed her for nubbins. None, nota, not a bump. Being leary of the mesh I tried to shoot through a hole in the mesh and the arrow deflected and I missed. She turned and ran immediately out of sight of the one open window. Instantly she came back feeding so I nocked another arrow and let it fly. Tracked her about 40yds and found out this one was a nubbin...
      Immediately called Trailboss who was in town and told him what happened and the checkbook is out. He said tag it and he'll deal with me when he gets back. When he got there I was feeling like crap. Told him I was ready to pay the penelty and would donate the meat. He was real good about it and believed my story. Let me keep him and invited me back. I even joined his season lease the next year.

My second one...
      First AoE hunt for axis does had me in a stand with a dry creek bed on one side well below me. They all had told me that axis nubbins had kind of tall pedicules instead of bumps and would be real noticeable. This one barely had any bumps at all and I let an arrow fly. When Brian picked me up I was ready to go home and pay the penelty... All the guys got a good laugh out of it and still razz me about it.. Brian still let's me come out and hunt but I think it's only because I bring cool friends.

Both honest mistakes and I was ready and willing to accept all consequences.
      i have just got into hunting the last 3 years, My fil got me into it and i have loved it ever since but this is what scares the heck out of me lol i dont know how to tell the difference of ages and my fil put me in a stand at his lease and said what ever you do dont shoot a nubbin only a doe well i set there 2 days and didnt let an arrow fly cause every dang animal i saw i thought i saw bumps on its head lmao all ive got are hogs and until i get my own lease one day i think i will just stick with those and do homework lol especially after reading these 6k chit i would be in some trouble!! want to take something with my bow but think i will practice on hogs!!

Comment

We had an incident today:

We have a small place in East TX, my buddy's dad owns it. Distant family member asks if he can bring his 14 year old son out there to hog hunt only while my buddy is out there supervising them. All went well last night. This afternoon, a truck pulls up with 6 more adults and a dog, drove 3 hours from Fort Worth to party. The dog immediately jumps out of the truck and whizzes on my buddy's brand new Tikka T3 Before he can rein them in, they haul *** for the lake. He pulls the guy aside and he tells my buddy he didn't think it would be a big deal as his buddies were tromping through the woods with AR-15's. My buddy calls me and asks how to handle it. I told him to kick their butts to the curb NOW, all of them. Taking advantage of a nice offer and disrespecting the lease after being explained the rules. Needless to say, they were sent packing and left my buddy all stressed out. I told him he was nicer than me, I'd have turned them around at the gate.

For serious deer hunters, it's an affront to everything you've worked for and put into the lease. Blood, sweat, tears and TIME that you can't get back.

Ryan, I would have been LIVID.

Comment

Enlightening and entertaining thread. Amazing degree of cluelessness shown by some of the subjects of these stories. Worse is the lack of respect for rules or behavior as a guest anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
            I had a guy I do some work with come out as a favor. Said he was a big hunter and he hunts every ware. Came out with new camo and a brand new 270. I sat in the blind with him the first evening talking to him about deer, working on aging them and explaining him what not to shoot.

The next morning, I dropped him off and went over the what to shoot what not to shoot again. Also told him he must shoot a doe before he shoots a buck, so shoot the first mature doe you see. " you bet". I went off with the hand and sat in the high rack and killed a few hog's and yotes. Wen went to pick him up, he was out of the blind and all excited. He said he shoot a big old buck. We fallowed the blood trail and picked up a 130'' 9PT 3YO. I told him nicely that that buck was young and he was done shooting bucks and he needed to shoot a doe and some pigs. He was to happy to be bothered. I was frustrated but some what relived because it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

That evening, I drop him off in a blind close to camp. Went off and started working around the camp. I told him, no bucks. Does and pigs only. I head a couple of shots. I went to pick him up from the blind and he was again out of the blind and was pointing in to the brush. This time he was telling me he shot a cull buck, it was old and needed to die, he was watching it fight with a younger buck and it really hunt the younger buck. He killed the young buck because it was hurt. He needed to put it down. We collected the deer and I was in rage. So this guy killed a 3.5 yo 9py 130'', a 4.5 you 8pt 134" and a 2.5 yo 11pt 132".

I sent him home that night, no shower, no dinner. Made that fkr, clean his deer and get out. I no longer do biz with him or his company. I was sick about it for a while. This is a place where I am really working on improving the heard and hear this guy shoots 3 bucks that have potential.
            Wow, I can see making a mistake (not shooting a bum before a doe) but makin your own judgement calls in behalf if the landowner to try to justify shwacking three bucks, crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
              I'm on a doe hunt at my neighbors right now. Think he would believe I thought this was a doe?

Sweet Baby Rays!!!!!
              Almost as cool just to see them in their own element.

Comment

Originally posted by dallascowboys View Post
                i have just got into hunting the last 3 years, My fil got me into it and i have loved it ever since but this is what scares the heck out of me lol i dont know how to tell the difference of ages and my fil put me in a stand at his lease and said what ever you do dont shoot a nubbin only a doe well i set there 2 days and didnt let an arrow fly cause every dang animal i saw i thought i saw bumps on its head lmao all ive got are hogs and until i get my own lease one day i think i will just stick with those and do homework lol especially after reading these 6k chit i would be in some trouble!! want to take something with my bow but think i will practice on hogs!!
                And to make matters worse- older does on my lease in Menard do have bumps on their heads-

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                  And to make matters worse- older does on my lease in Menard do have bumps on their heads-
                  That's something I've never seen before. Any other does like that, or was she the only one?

Comment

I was that guy also. But mine was bad communication between me and the landowner's son.
                    Back during my short stink pursuing higher education, a fellow Javalina asked me if I knew how to change out a starter on his '97 F-150. Piece of cake and as payment he offered to take me hunting on his family land. That friday afternoon, I was sitting on a tripod overlooking 3 senderos in a Zapata County game ranch. He stayed at the ranch house and we stayed in contact thru 2 way radios. At about 5:15 a gorgeous symmetrical 6x6 with double drops steps out at 100 yards. I call it in and get the go ahead. My heart starts racing as I level my rifle and do my preshot sequence. As I give one final look around, I see another bigger buck in the opposite sendero. I quit counting at 9 points on the right side. I get the shakes and call him in too. Get the go ahead again. Which to shoot, double drop with spread and 14" G2s or too many points to count bases as thick as coke bottles trashy (but not nasty)?
                    I shot the first to offer a perfect broadside shot. Trashy. I loaded him up and drove to the camp house. Buddy looked in the bed of my truck and his jaw hit the floor. Told me to leave the property now. I freaked and asked if I messed up, he said "later now go, before dad showes up!" I left.
                    Following week, I found him at the student union building with a haunted look on his face. When he saw me, he almost cried. He went on to tell me that I had shot his dad's breeder that somehow got lose onto the main property. He told his dad what happened and the man about blew a gasket, but never blamed me. He told my buddy to tell me to take the antlers back because he wanted to hold them just once. I did the following weekend and the owner was a gentleman about the whole ordeal. He asked to keep the antlers for a while to make a replica set, and I gladly obliged. Did get my antlers back the following summer, but never asked for score or what the price tag actually was. That happened back in 2000 and everytime I look up and see those 18 points on my wall I remember the rush with a smile on my face and chuckle about the while ordeal. That was one expensive starter change out, lol

I will get that rack mounted one day...

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                      I was that guy also. But mine was bad communication between me and the landowner's son.
                      Back during my short stink pursuing higher education, a fellow Javalina asked me if I knew how to change out a starter on his '97 F-150. Piece of cake and as payment he offered to take me hunting on his family land. That friday afternoon, I was sitting on a tripod overlooking 3 senderos in a Zapata County game ranch. He stayed at the ranch house and we stayed in contact thru 2 way radios. At about 5:15 a gorgeous symmetrical 6x6 with double drops steps out at 100 yards. I call it in and get the go ahead. My heart starts racing as I level my rifle and do my preshot sequence. As I give one final look around, I see another bigger buck in the opposite sendero. I quit counting at 9 points on the right side. I get the shakes and call him in too. Get the go ahead again. Which to shoot, double drop with spread and 14" G2s or too many points to count bases as thick as coke bottles trashy (but not nasty)?
                      I shot the first to offer a perfect broadside shot. Trashy. I loaded him up and drove to the camp house. Buddy looked in the bed of my truck and his jaw hit the floor. Told me to leave the property now. I freaked and asked if I messed up, he said "later now go, before dad showes up!" I left.
                      Following week, I found him at the student union building with a haunted look on his face. When he saw me, he almost cried. He went on to tell me that I had shot his dad's breeder that somehow got lose onto the main property. He told his dad what happened and the man about blew a gasket, but never blamed me. He told my buddy to tell me to take the antlers back because he wanted to hold them just once. I did the following weekend and the owner was a gentleman about the whole ordeal. He asked to keep the antlers for a while to make a replica set, and I gladly obliged. Did get my antlers back the following summer, but never asked for score or what the price tag actually was. That happened back in 2000 and everytime I look up and see those 18 points on my wall I remember the rush with a smile on my face and chuckle about the while ordeal. That was one expensive starter change out, lol

I will get that rack mounted one day...
                      Pictures

Comment

Guest Mistake Stories...

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                        That's something I've never seen before. Any other does like that, or was she the only one?
                        No.

Looking through my phone pics I found another with bumps I have shot out there.

Hunting this year I saw some on the hoof too.

Might be an abnormality in that area. Too bad moms with bumps doesn't equate to offspring bucks with huge racks.....
                        Last edited by DaveC; 11-17-2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tspurgin26 View Post
                          Pictures
                          I agree, lets see this booner producer!

Sounds like a heck of a tale, but as you said wasn't your fault.
                          I bet jr. got his ear chewed on though.

Comment

I never took any LDP as I was freaking out about the whole ordeal. But i'll take some pics of the antlers this weekend when I get home.

Comment

Tagged at 167

Comment

I had a lease that I managed For 7 years. I grew some great deer in the area we were in. I took a friend from work to only shoot does or spikes or a old 4 point I had on camera. I set him up in my wifes blind. Many good bucks had come from that blind. He took a 200 pound boar there and a doe. He knew what he was supposed to take from this blind. One morning he shoots a BIG 6. Takes a bad shot. Spined him. Texts me and says he couldn't finish the job. I had to come over and dispatch the deer with my pistol. It was a bad deal. He got BUCK FEVER. I was Pizzed. That 6 scored 130. I let it go. Only Because I had never seen that buck before. He was 7-8 years old. He actually did good taking him. Didn't want those genetics. I brought him back many times after that and only took does. Still feels bad about it. I WILL NEVER LET HIM LIVE IT DOWN. I have moved on from that place. Owners son wanted to hunt the deer I raised. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                                X