Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
    I've guided one a ranch and saw multiple mistakes by guests. This particular ranch was owned by a businessman who routinely took clients to hunt in addition to paying folks. Seemed the more the client spent with the owner in business the more likely they were to make mistakes. I think they simply thought their account was so valuable they could do what they wanted. I saw several kicked off the place. Saw one guy show up w/a Savage youth model with a purple laminated stock-never seen another like it. He was bragging about his scope, and shows me. I did not see a brand. He goes on to say he found it in a Chinese magazine for $10 but it was a $500 scope. He could not hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 50 yds. We saw those types of hunters all the time.
    I've got clients that could shoot my dog....and I love my dog.

We sold a place last year that we ran cattle on and had some clients and friends out to hunt from time to time. I set the price at $2500 if you shot a cow and $10k if you shot a bull. I made it known in advance what it would cost if someone mistook a hog for a cow. Of course, some of my clients I would have had the cow processed and delivered to their office along with a nice bottle of wine.

Comment

I've had people shoot deer and drag them off because they knew they screwed up...

I know a guy that worked a corporate lease that took new clients every week. His dog was trained to jump out of the truck and check for blood around the feeder while he picked up the clients from the blind.

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
        Took my buddy few times to bow lease in junction he always seemed to say he shot big does but when we found them they were always yearlings. We gave him a hard time and even bought a baby bottle and hung it around his neck every time he came up. He really wanted to shoot an axis so I told him go ahead. That morning he texted and said he shot a big axis doe but couldn't find it so I took my lab out put him on the trail. We stood around talking for about 5 min when the dog came back with the deer in his mouth! It was tiny! And to make matters worse he got back to camp and had just finished skinning it when one of the boys walked out and said "who shot the jack rabbit". He's never heard the end of it!
        Some of these were sad...yours was pretty dang funny. The dog actually bringing the deer back...priceless. ROFL

Your story kinda reminds me of my BILs first deer. It was doe only since it was after December in Coke and Runnels county. I told him, look, if it's a doe shoot it, get your first deer. He was in the stand five minutes when I heard the gun shot. He called my dad and I up on the walky talkies (no cell service) jabbering like a howler monkey, he was so freaking excited. We got to him and wants to know how we get it in the truck. I picked it up with one hand and threw it in the back.

It's get better...he wanted to take it to a processor on 380 just north of Little Elm. Whole nuther story, but the woman working the shop took the biggest dip of Copenhagen that I've ever seen. He takes her out to my truck to show her the deer. She asks him what he wants her to do with it. She says hamburger. He says all of it? She said "you're not really giving me a whole lot to work with." I laughed my butt off.

I never teased him about the size of his deer.

Comment

Tag

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by thorshammer View Post
              Pretty good acting... This was staged though.
              Very, didn't buy it the first time I saw it. Typical hunting show (or not) with bad acting.

Comment

Had a SIL tell me I was still okay on the buck to doe ratio with black buck antelope. LOL!!!!! Nearly puked when he made excuses for what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by LWR2 View Post
                  My father used to run a property in Falfurrias for his company before he passed. He had two of the largest Steel MFG Sales reps out for a hunt. We had some really nice deer and had really given them the green light on any mature deer they wanted to take. My dad took one of the guys and I took the other. He was from PA and was very adamant on his hunting abilities. Really an *** and very arrogant. So we come to the first gate and he gets out of the truck with gun in hand and I thought he was opening the gate. Next thing I know he is shooting at a 6 point buck standing in the brush line. Buck drops in his tracks and the guy yells out " How's that you **** redneck". Kinda got a little ****** but what he did not know is we had to pass through another persons land to get to our property and the land owner called the game warden and he was sighted for unlawfully taking a deer without permission. Felt bad for about a minute, but I can still remember him yelling after the shot!
                  HOW'S THAT YOU **** REDNECK!
                  Priceless!

Comment

I am currently going to school at the University of Idaho (graduating and moving back to the lone star state in December!) and hunting up here is a whole other ball game, mostly because its 95% public land. Well the whole time I have been here I have wanted a nice Mule Deer, but around school its all whitetail (which I shoot plenty of back home). So I meet this guy in class who has some private land with whitetail and muley's so he offers to take me and my buddy. My buddy and I always talk about hunting, but I had never actually hunted with him. Well come to find out, he had never once hunted on private land, and wasn't used to seeing so many deer. We jumped about 10 walking in before shooting light. The guy from class spreads us along a ridge about 200 yards apart to wait for the sun to come up. I was watching a few whitetail doe on the other side of the fence when I hear a shot. I walk over to my buddy and ask what he got, to which he replies "I wasn't shooting at a deer." I stood there puzzled for a second and then asked what he shot at? "I shot in front of them to scare them back this way." I guess he just couldn't take it anymore and tried to shoot in front of them to scare them to our side of the fence. After I explained to him that deer can't see where the bullet hit, they only hear the noise of the gun and go the opposite direction, I see movement behind him. There running at full speed are two massive muley bucks. They stop about 800 yards away and even at that distance I can tell they were trophy size. Me and him are still friends, but we don't hunt together anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                      had a friend out on a late season antlerless/spike season hunt for does only. Walking back to the truck he shot a 3 point buck thinking it would pass AR restrictions so it must be good during spike season. Wrong!! Spike season is a true spike. None of this 1 un-branched AR stuff. And it wasn't a doe...
                      That was a VERY memorable thread..LOL

Comment

I had a guy I do some work with come out as a favor. Said he was a big hunter and he hunts every ware. Came out with new camo and a brand new 270. I sat in the blind with him the first evening talking to him about deer, working on aging them and explaining him what not to shoot.

The next morning, I dropped him off and went over the what to shoot what not to shoot again. Also told him he must shoot a doe before he shoots a buck, so shoot the first mature doe you see. " you bet". I went off with the hand and sat in the high rack and killed a few hog's and yotes. Wen went to pick him up, he was out of the blind and all excited. He said he shoot a big old buck. We fallowed the blood trail and picked up a 130'' 9PT 3YO. I told him nicely that that buck was young and he was done shooting bucks and he needed to shoot a doe and some pigs. He was to happy to be bothered. I was frustrated but some what relived because it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

That evening, I drop him off in a blind close to camp. Went off and started working around the camp. I told him, no bucks. Does and pigs only. I head a couple of shots. I went to pick him up from the blind and he was again out of the blind and was pointing in to the brush. This time he was telling me he shot a cull buck, it was old and needed to die, he was watching it fight with a younger buck and it really hunt the younger buck. He killed the young buck because it was hurt. He needed to put it down. We collected the deer and I was in rage. So this guy killed a 3.5 yo 9py 130'', a 4.5 you 8pt 134" and a 2.5 yo 11pt 132".

I sent him home that night, no shower, no dinner. Made that fkr, clean his deer and get out. I no longer do biz with him or his company. I was sick about it for a while. This is a place where I am really working on improving the heard and hear this guy shoots 3 bucks that have potential.

Comment

I know of an oilfield customer ranch that has a Wall of shame in the main lodge. Make the wall and you never get invited back, but everyone else gets to see your screw ups

Comment

Took a buddy hunting & told him he could shoot all the does he wanted. I told him try not to shoot a nubbin. He said he had binos. I told him if a single doe comes out,check it real good. A lot of times it will be a nubbin. He says ok got it. Another buddy on the lease drops him off. We meet up in the pasture after the hunt & the guy that dropped him off tells me I need to check my buddy's hand out. Go over to him & he is bloodied up a towel wrapped around his hand. Asked him what happened & he is all shook up. He shot a nubbin & was so upset over it he sliced his hand open trying to cut its ear to put his tag on it. He said he looked real hard at the single deer that showed up & couldn't see nubs. So he shoots it,walks up to it & sure enough nubs. He freaks out thinking he is gonna get me in trouble & slices his hand open. I tell him its ok, just calm down. We get back to camp & a little later he is roaming around looking worried. I ask him what the matter. He can't find his license. He thinks he has left it on the ground where he tagged the deer. This is a guy who can get lost walking around the block & he ask me if he can walk out & look for it. I told him it is dark & a mile or more to our pasture. Told him we will get it in the AM. Well we look & its not there so he is done for the weekend. They did find it a couple of weeks later at another blind where they picked up another hunter. Anyways we get home & his car wont start. Finally get him jumped off & on the way home he hits the brakes & the ice chest flips over & spills bloody water all inside the car. When he gets home his wife reamed him out for losing his license, messing the car up & cutting his hand. She even told him he spent too much on the BBQ he bought her at coopers. I told him I would have punched my wife's lights out after all that.

Comment

We went on a vendor hunt last year at a small exotic ranch in rocksprings. The owner had 5 elk he said shoot whAtever you want just not the elk I have somebody coming in Monday to hunt them. We say ok no problem. On the way to the stand the evening hunt hear a shot. Ask one guy if he shot wasn't me he said. Ask the next guy and he responded, " I think I shot an elk?" I "think". Wasn't a small elk either it was about 350 inches. Owner said well you did it right you killed the biggest one I had. The hot shot showed up the next day ai a horse trailor with 2 elk in it.

Comment

Originally posted by scissorhands View Post
                                this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8
                                I love this video

Comment

Working...
                                X