CWD found in panhandle whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
    It was first identified in this high fence setting.....
    The prion precursor protein genetic sequence is found in multiple deer species.

So what you are telling me is that the Colorado Dow created transgenic deer and caused this.....

My take it is a naturally occurring phenomena. And the prevalence has increased with the increase in keeping deer in pens. And also allowing deer to survive to a longer age in the wild and pens
    Don't act like you know something about genetics...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably for 10s of thousands of years....
      We just have the means to identify it and are looking for it.

Remember it wasn’t until the 50s that scientists discovered the structure of DNA......
      I was told by a well known biologist in South Texas back in early 2000's when CWD was a storm up in Wisconsin, that it has more than likely been here in Texas for a while. They just were not looking for it. Coyotes were the only thing looking for it since they do not let an easy free meal go very often. They will kill/eat it no matter what is wrong with it. I fully agree about how long it has been around, we are just in the cycle for it show up now since they are looking for it.
      Last edited by texashunter56; 01-10-2018, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
        Don't act like you know something about genetics...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Busted.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Soy based wiring and 30wt ball bearings to blame. It’s all ball bearings these days.

Comment

Nm
            Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 01-10-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

My biologist told me last year that he had heard studies are underway to see if feral hogs could be a carrier. I never asked him who or where the studies was.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                Dang that’s my area. Maybe I’ll text the GW and see what’s up with that.
                The paint was on the head and rack

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  So what you're saying is no trailered deer ever introduced CWD to a new herd in a different area.
                  No what I’m saying it’s idiotic at best to blame CWD That at a minimum could be mapped(with historical Co and KS testing) walking it’s way from CO to KS to Okla to TX high plains area and blame it on deer breeders. And that’s assuming it hasn’t always been there, after all tx panhandle only started testing two years ago
                  Last edited by Texans42; 01-10-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    I was told by a well known biologist in South Texas back in early 2000's when CWD was a storm up in Wisconsin, that it has more than likely been here in Texas for a while. They just were not looking for it. Coyotes were the only thing looking for it since they do not let an easy free meal go very often. They will kill/eat it no matter what is wrong with it. I fully agree about how long it has been around, we are just in the cycle for it show up now since they are looking for it.
                    ^^^^this.

But non the less it wasn’t “dropped off” out side of Dalhart in a corn circle.

Comment

Probably for 10s of thousands of years....
                      We just have the means to identify it and are looking for it.

Remember it wasn’t until the 50s that scientists discovered the structure of DNA......
                      you need to do a little reading up on Beth Williams and the mule deer research at Ft Collins in the mid 60's and Beth Williams later research into the sick deer at the Foothills Wildlife Research Station at Ft Collins. And the release of those sick deer north of Ft Collins and the shipping of infected deer to a bunch of high fence places, other research stations, and several zoos.

Comment

Probably got out of a HF place

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                          you need to do a little reading up on Beth Williams and the mule deer research at Ft Collins in the mid 60's and Beth Williams later research into the sick deer at the Foothills Wildlife Research Station at Ft Collins. And the release of those sick deer north of Ft Collins and the shipping of infected deer to a bunch of high fence places, other research stations, and several zoos.

I will most definitely look up some articles when I get some free time. I got a couple research grant deadlines that are occupying all of my time.

But the PrP is a conserved gene across a large swath of mammalian species. Now the infectious isoform that is found in Colorado May have been generated artificially because of the sheep pens. But protein misfolding and generation of infectious prions do occur spontaneously. And must be naive to think that there are not some spontaneous creations of the infectious isoform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Aggie Doc has some very good points and seems to be well informed. If y'all get him to fired up he won't be able to explain it to where I will be able to understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              No what I’m saying it’s idiotic at best to blame CWD That at a minimum could be mapped(with historical Co and KS testing) walking it’s way from CO to KS to Okla to TX high plains area and blame it on deer breeders. And that’s assuming it hasn’t always been there, after all tx panhandle only started testing two years ago
                              I'm sure that was a tongue-n-cheek statement insinuating deer breeders caused cwd by the bossbowman.........but without a doubt breeder facilities have helped spread cwd to different locations.
                              In my opinion, there are no where near enough regulations on breeding facilities. I hope TPWD continues to crack down on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                                I'm sure that was a tongue-n-cheek statement insinuating deer breeders caused cwd by the bossbowman.........but without a doubt breeder facilities have helped spread cwd to different locations.
                                In my opinion, there are no where near enough regulations on breeding facilities. I hope TPWD continues to crack down on them.
                                What do we do with all the exotics walking around? What about cattle? I could go on you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X