Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned that my 5 yr old loves to hunt. He hasnt harvested anything yet but he loves the ranch.

I learned that crappy weather makes for great hunting.

I learned ipads are must with a 3 yo and 5 yo in the blind.

I learned that my ghost blind is awesome. I had deer with in 30 yds of us with the 2 kids with me. And they actully sat for 2 1/2 hrs. Crazy!!!

I learned to never give up looking for a lost deer. (This was a biggy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been hunting for a short time relative to most on here. Lessons have been plentyful since I started in 2008. I only hunt public land and many lessons are yet to be learned. I blew out my shoulder after one outing to scout an area in 2014. After sitting out that year, I was chomping at the bit for the 2015. I hunted several times early season and was so frustrated at the lack of seeing deer (and by hot weather) that I basically allowed it burn me out.

This year I told myself I would make all my outings be positive experiences regardless of how many deer I saw. I had to refocus on enjoying the wonderful creation the Good Lord has created for us and not base all the success of the hunt purely on weather I killed something. So far it has been an awesome year.
      Last edited by Pedernal; 01-01-2017, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I learned I can pay for one hunt and still get to spend time in the woods, while not giving up seeing my daughter's soccer games. Only about 5 more years of soccer and I can decide if I want to go back to leasing or continue the guided trips!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Like every other year, kill a doe early next year.
          First year in i dont know how long i didnt kill something with my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
            I learned its worth it to just spend the money on good game cameras. Same thing with feeder timers. Had a terrible time with unreliable timers and feeders not going off. Thats the first thing on my list for the off season. Get good timers.
            Need to figure out how to keep the woodpeckers from braking out the Lens lost 4 cameras this year.

Comment

That I couldn't be a guide for a living and management hunting is just as tough as trophy hunting.

Comment

A few things for me being new on a lease. In the off season scout your area. Just walk it to learn the terrain and what plant life you have. Get your feeders up early and have them going. Also having a foot plot can really turn up your hunting experience. Its something I'll be putting a lot of time into come spring. All I need is a disc harrow for my tractor and I'm set.

Comment

My son and my daughter will NOT go to the lease to shoot deer! I passed up several opportunities to shoot deer because I "save" it for them to shoot.

I will never setup in a pasture with a mean-azz old mare that bumps deer of the road as they eat corn......she don't eat the corn she is just don't want deer on her roads!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                    Need to figure out how to keep the woodpeckers from braking out the Lens lost 4 cameras this year.
                    I had the same thing happen to me this year. Lost two cameras this year from the lens covers being pecked out. Never happened before but I did seem to see a lot of woodpeckers this year.

Comment

Something's I have learned this season it's not all about killing a big buck it's just the hunt its self spending time with family and friends is more important than just the kill time in camp was great this year and I'm not going to worry about what's on my hunting camera they really miss a lot of animals out there you have to put the time in the stand to see things that don't make the feeder

Comment

Missed the biggest buck I've ever layed eyes on in person do to not practicing from an elevated position. Will be doing much more shooting from higher areas in the off season. Over estimate shot went straight over the back and he prance off like nothing

Comment

Watched my son have early season failures that I thought would crush him to the point of not wanting to hunt, but he kept working and ended up having the best season he's ever had.

Comment

Ditch the feeders and hand corn for bigger deer on our property.

Be more patient on longer shots to make sure target deer aren't on high alert.

Hunt nasty and cold weather mostly. Right after fronts and hunt the light rain at the end of the fronts moving through.

Have more work days at the end of season and late summer.

Check batteries every time on predator callers before going to stand.

Get my wife a bow the first time she asks.

Have more fun in the woods, work will always be there when I get back.

Give more thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Apretz View Post
                              I had the same thing happen to me this year. Lost two cameras this year from the lens covers being pecked out. Never happened before but I did seem to see a lot of woodpeckers this year.
                              Yeah I seen two in the two different areas and little suckers tear some stuff up very costly

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                                Ditch the feeders and hand corn for bigger deer on our property.

Be more patient on longer shots to make sure target deer aren't on high alert.

Hunt nasty and cold weather mostly. Right after fronts and hunt the light rain at the end of the fronts moving through.

Have more work days at the end of season and late summer.

Check batteries every time on predator callers before going to stand.

Get my wife a bow the first time she asks.

Have more fun in the woods, work will always be there when I get back.

Give more thanks.
                                Hand corn and nasty weather end of fronts is the key we live we learn good points

Comment

Working...
                                X