Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has the popcorn? This is good

Comment

Grizz Trick 2 and Slick Trick Magnums have worked great from my limited experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ordered some montec G5 I like the way they can be sharpened
        Plus can’t go wrong with 1 piece blade they look tough
        Now only time will tell just need to find an elk first lol
        Will prob get some slick tricks as well
        Then I will see which ones fly the best out of my Triax
        Last edited by sasqy; 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Montec G5
          KuduPoint Contour

Comment

I plan on slinging the 100g Ramcat Single Bevels on my 495g CE Maximas

This is from this evening at 40 yds...

Comment

Rage Extreme worked well for me last year. My first time to use them on an elk and he ran 100 yds. It didn't pass through but I had a hard quartering away shot that entered off his back hip and ended up in his chest cavity. I would argue that the shot angle and placement is way more important than what broadhead you use. As many have stated, use what you are comfortable and consistent with.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                I have been watching Levi Morgans new show (Bowlife) and he shoots Swacker only. He had some great kills so far on Carribou, mule deer, and pronghorn. If he can get penetration like than on caribou, an elk is no problem.

This. He had great penetration with the swacker on a moose at 88 as well.
                He did a podcast with the primos guys and he said he builds his arrows so it stays within a certain speed and doesn’t worry about the weight

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  This. He had great penetration with the swacker on a moose at 88 as well.

He did a podcast with the primos guys and he said he builds his arrows so it stays within a certain speed and doesn’t worry about the weight

I started shooting the raptor tricks this year. Only killed a ram with it so far, but i would not hesitate to shoot anything with it. 436gr arrow traveling 306 fps. It cut through that ram like butter and took out two ribs doing it

Comment

Use what you're comfortable with and spend the extra time practicing instead of worrying about it. My buddy got a bull last year with a 2" rage trypan. And I hate rages lol.

No one has ever heart shot an elk with any broadhead and it lived to my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                      Doing the same and from all the research and podcasts done by Gus that kill multiple bulls a year, you’re best bet is with slick trick standards or viper tricks, muzzy trocar, qad exodus, and iron will. I’ll be shooting iron wills.

Again, this is from guys that hunt several stars a year and have shot almost every head made.

I'm sure we've listened to the same podcasts and similar research. I'm a huge fan of Jak Hammer mechanicals for whitetails, and I think they'd likely be effective for elk in most situations (with my setup). Some experienced and reputable elk hunters and archers (namely Tim Gillingham and John Dudley) prefer them for their flight characteristics at longer distances and larger cutting diameter, which typically results in better blood trails. Depending on how they shoot with my new arrow setup, I'll likely have some Jak Hammers in the quiver.

That said, I'm leaning toward the Iron Wills, even at $33/head. I was hesitant to spend that much, but then when I consider that I spent $30 on a single pair of boxers, it's hard to complain about $100/pack without questioning my own priorities!

I'm also considering the Cut Throats. At half the price, I'm guessing you're getting a really good quality broadhead comparable to the IW. I'm sure the law of diminishing returns is at play with regards to differences for a broadhead at twice the price.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        We're they calves
                        Well, a calf is an elk!

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          As I do not believe in the 650 arrow. I do have a problem as why the 650 didn’t go through. Lots of factors. Would have been interesting to have seen.

I’ve never shot an elk but I have a water buffalo. So I can say with out a doubt if I can take a water buffalo with a 465 gr arrow I should have no problems with a 465 on an elk. It’s all in how you build your penetration system.
                          lower part of the scapula thats solid bone. Some parts of an animal just aren’t ment to be hit with an arrow. A 650gr is a pretty arrow in flight but I personally don’t have the consistent enough form to hunt with it. I’m between 450 and 500 on most my arrow set ups. I shoot up to 675 playing around or working on form, but it’s just to fickle to hunt with for me.

Comment

Slick trix or muzzy. I killed mine with a muzzy last year and my son used slick trix. Mine ran about 40 yards and his about 100. Practice from 10 to 70 yards and practice at all angles and get in shape. Practice, practice, practice and don't change your set up if your are confrontable and confident with the way you are shooting. Practice when you are huffing and puffing since that's what your probably going to be doing. Good luck.

Comment

sasqy pm sent

Comment

Hell razor

Originally posted by ranchdog View Post
                                You may wish to try out the NAP Hellrazor, I found them very good flyers and they re-sharpen very well

Ranchdog
                                This....

Comment

Working...
                                X