Clear All

.5 MOA and better is where I get happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

2" ish at 100 yards is good for me on a hunting rifle but I've only shot a few animals beyond 75-80 yards in my entire life.

Comment

Wow, a 250 yard hunting rifle, here I thought you had to shoot out to 500 for hunting nowadays. And all rifles have to shoot 1/4moa all day long or they suck. Your probably only gonna put a couple hundred dollar scope on your **** deer rifle that only shoots 1.5 inches or so. Hell that sounds......sensible.

While I like bolt guns that shoot 1inch or less in three shot groups Or even 5 shot groups (I know three shot groups are so outdated) 1.5ish is plenty good enough out to 300 and probably even further for deer size targets. I do hope however that if you get a good enough gun, you don't get it in something like a 270 Or else you will be the laughing stock of TBH and deer camp. Every one knows 270, 3006, and the like bounce off deer now

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            Every one knows 270, 3006, and the like bounce off deer now
            That's if the bullet will even reach the deer...

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
              That's if the bullet will even reach the deer...
              Truth

Comment

Have done the 500+ yard shots but still much prefer to actually hunt and get as close as I can to the intended game. A lot of my rifle kills have been closer than some of my bow kills. Hunting is fun but those close encounters are a lot of fun. On my place in Mississippi my longest kill has been 220 yards the rest of the 50+ deer on that place have been inside 70 with most inside 40 yards. lease here in Texas that I have had for 17 years longest shots were on the 2 best bucks I have taken on it and they were 140 and 150 yards. I prepare for long shots but mostly shoot at close range if I can set up for it. One day during season shot at 100, 300, 400 and 800 yards then killed my deer that afternoon at 18 yards, but I was sure of the shot.

Comment

<1" at 100 yards.

I have a 6" 200 yard gong and if I go 100% on a five shot group I'm ready to roll.

Comment

Slug gun shoots 3.5" group. I'm happy with that.
                    My 444 is around 2-3" open sights. I'm happy with that.
                    My 243 is .5" and I'm happy with that!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

My last range trip I was shooting 1" to 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards which is worse than usual but I had to remind myself I hadn't shot in a year. For hunting the places I hunt that is more than adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Yep

Comment

Here’s what a lot of people don’t realize. If your rifle is sighted to the middle of where it groups. A one and a half inch group puts you within .75 inches of your aiming point.

Comment

Academy bore sights all mine in for me. I just tell them I want it dead nutz from 100-1000yds.

I pay a little extra but it's worth it when I let the air out of those big uns.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Here’s what a lot of people don’t realize. If your rifle is sighted to the middle of where it groups. A one and a half inch group puts you within .75 inches of your aiming point.
                              ...at 100 yards, on a bench rest, with all your breathing under control, etc....

If you're hunting and shooting at longer ranges, or if you're "really hunting" and stalking in closer and shooting off hand or off some shooting sticks while standing or kneeling, and you have an elevated heart rate, maybe a little out of breath, maybe a little buck fever, etc... then that 1.5" accuracy you get on the bench in perfect shooting conditions might be more like 6" at 100 yards under hunting conditions. If your rifle shoots 1/2" groups on the bench, maybe it's 2" at 100 yards under hunting conditions.

Comment

.5”

Comment

Working...
                                X