DIY Duck Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Duck Boat

Well, I acquired a 1976 Super Skeeter this week off CL here in OKC. I got him down to $200, which I thought was reasonable. He really wanted to unload this boat, and now I know why. The entire floor between the fiberglass and the hull was full of water and soggy foam. After I opened everything up and got rid of the foam, it has lost quite a bit of weight. I still have a long ways to go, but I enjoy having a project, and this one shall be no exception. Below are some pics of my start.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	25040539

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	25040540

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	25040541

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	25040542

I'll try to keep it updated as I go along.

That is sweeeeet! Subscribed to see how it turns out!

Comment

Tagged. This is going to be good.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Looks like it's gonna be a nice duck slayer

Comment

I spent some more time, and pretty much got it down to the glass and stringers this afternoon. Later this week, I'll take out the original stringers. I am now at a crossroads though. While cleaning out the back end, I found a weak spot in the transom fiberglass. It looks like I may have some rot in there. I've never replaced a transom before - but this is starting to look like a first. I'm guessing that it will be better to completely cut out all the wood on the inside and replace than to sandwich some new over the old. . . better to do it right the first time I guess.

Comment

Should be a great project

Comment

**** that looks like a lot of work though. stick with it should be nice in the end, great price

Comment

Very cool project

Comment

Totally Rotten!!

It has been a while since I have had some time to work on this, but I did get out tonight and get the wood out of the transom. Turns out to be a good call. It was totally, completely, all wet and rotten. Next I have to get the stringers out.

Name:	transom.JPG
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	24358226

Hopefully I'll have some more time at it this week while the wife is out of town.

skooter

Comment

He should have given you $200 to take it.

Comment

My son and I went to the local boat show here in OKC this evening. I stopped by a booth and got a rough quote on replacing the transom in my project. The guy quoted me $1250. I told him that I just couldn't do that on this one - being that I only paid $200 for the boat. He just gave me an odd look, and said "guess not". Hopefully my next update will be of the transom build.

Comment

Shouldn't be that hard.

Comment

I would hate to have to mess with a transom rebuild. I like my aluminum boats where I know I can fix what I do. Good luck none the less and I am subscribed.

Comment

For what it's worth,
                              I've seen replaced transforms reinforced with a big aluminum plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X