Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From good ol Wiki

Physical characteristics

Gray wolf weight and size can vary greatly worldwide, tending to increase proportionally with latitude as predicted by Bergmann's Rule. In general, height varies from 0.6 to .95 meters and (26–38 inches) at the shoulder. Wolf weight varies geographically; on average, European wolves may weigh 85 lbs, North American wolves 80 lbs, and Indian and Arabian wolves 55 lbs.[6] Though rarely encountered, extreme specimens of more than 77 kg (170 lb.) have been recorded in Alaska, Canada[7], and the former Soviet Union.[8] The heaviest recorded gray wolf in the New World was killed on 70 Mile River in east-central Alaska on July 12, 1939 and weighed 79 kg (175 lb.)[6], while the heaviest recorded wolf in the Old World was killed after World War II in the Kobelyakski Area of the Poltavskij Region in the Ukrainian SSR, and weighed 86 kg (189 lb.).[9] Grey wolves are sexually dimorphic, with females in any given wolf population typically weighing 20% less than males.[10] Females also have narrower muzzles and foreheads; slightly shorter, smoother furred legs; and less massive shoulders.[6] Gray wolves can measure anywhere from 1.3 to 2 meters (4.5–6.5 feet) from nose to the tip of the tail, which itself accounts for approximately one quarter of overall body length.[11]

In Texas however they get bigger than the Black Panther

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
      I think it may be ENHANCED
      X2

Comment

Is that maglite holding that wolf?

why do Canadian wolf tracks look so much like an American $5 bill?

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
          Is that maglite holding that wolf?

why do Canadian wolf tracks look so much like an American $5 bill?
          1.= NO

2.= BIG TRACK HUH!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No way that is real.

Comment

Wow! Look at the feet on it!

Comment

Maybe he's 4' tall..........looks shopped. No doubt wolves get huge, but it just looks fake.

Comment

Unreal

Comment

the tail area looks photoshopped...

I know I saw a couple stuffed wolves in the hall fo horns in san antonio... WAY bigger than I thought they got... very long legs, which makes them a lot taller than you would think they are.

Comment

Picture looks doctored but if not thats a huge wolf!

Comment

I'm with ya, WyoHunter. Dang things have taken over the mountains and eating everything in sight. Animal leftists won't let anybody do anything about 'em. Lot of SSS going on up there but they can't keep up because the dogs are so smart. Ironic, isn't it, protecting an animal that's killing off the cash crop of the mountain states. Some things just don't make sense.

Photo's a crock, BTW.
                        Last edited by Ricky T; 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM. Reason: Photo's a crock.

Comment

Originally posted by maglite View Post
                          We had 263lb wolf that was brought in to a taxidermy shop I used to work at!! His paws were the size of my hand! Here is a track of a wolf we found in CANADA!!!
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          dude english mastiffs don't get that big...no offense but I gotta call bs on a 263 # wolf

Comment

Originally posted by k9trainer View Post
                            dude english mastiffs don't get that big...no offense but I gotta call bs on a 263 # wolf
                            CALL IT THEN!!! I WAS THERE and that was the weight before skinning!( that was what was on the paperwork) It was at TRUELIFE TAXIDERMY in Granbury Texas Roy Holdridge owner! Im telling you I was there!! We also arent talking about an english mastiff!! We are talking about an ALASKAN WOLF!!!!!! BTW That pic was taken on our bear hunting trip last month and YES IT THAT BIG!!!!!!!! ITS NOT PHOTOSHOPPED!!!!!!
                            Last edited by maglite; 06-21-2009, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Exactly, an alaskan wolf doesn't weight anyehere near the weight a mastiff does. Not calling you a liar, I just figure there has to be something wrong with the data

Comment

Originally posted by rockco222 View Post
                                I didn't know they got that big.
                                x2

Comment

Working...
                                X