Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone herd of boiling guns in water to clean them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done it. My M-16 passed inspection first time, every time. Done it with BP and handguns also. Blow drier and oil after.

Comment

Military buddy of mine told me to give all my guns a hot bath to clean. Ive always done that with my synthetic guns and it works great. Dry and oil well and they are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by QuackAddict View Post
        Never done it myself, but have heard of people putting their Glocks in the dishwasher also. My Glocks get a basic cleaning after use and a complete thorough stripdown detailed cleaning every so often.

I've been thinking about getting a 209 X .50 barrel for my T/C Encore Prohunter. I guess one way to soak your B/P barrel in hot water would be to boil up a pot of H20 with the crawfish pot and pour it in the bathtub with the barrel? Does it need to be hotter than the hot water that normally comes out of the tap?
        I remove the nipple from the breech and the barrel from the stock. Pour boiling soapy water into a coffee can. Place breech end of the barrel into the coffee can of water and start swabbing the bore with a patch on the rod, drawing the water up into the bore. Keep swbbing untill patches are clean. The barrel will get very hot so I wear my welding gloves when I do this.

Comment

I'll pass on that one.

Comment

I took my M16 to the Gunners Mate onboard-ship.
            He always brought it back clean, and happy.

Comment

....dont think I could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davik View Post
                Used to do it every year in Sask...to keep gunk from building up on the insides...water has to be at a rolling boil...you may be surprised at how much junk comes out during the first cleaning...I agree with the folllow up oil, but only a light oiling is necessary...the heat of the water dries the metal, and there is no water left in the gun...remember...HOT HOT HOT boiling water.
                X2... I did it every time I went on a super cold hunt, like Elk in the high country. Will keep the bolt and trigger from freezing up from the old oil from gunking up in the cold. I always used the dry lube teflon spray to follow up. might not hurt to put the bolt and trigger in the Oven for a short while "ON LOW" with the "DOOR OPEN" to make sure all H2O is out. Or just use a hair dryer... People in Alaska have been doing this for over 100years.
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-19-2011, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Thats how a clean my muzzel loader

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
                    Could ya here this coming out of the shower? This is my M 16, there are many like it but this one is mine...
                    Ha. I've showered with mine also.....This is my weapon, this is my gun.......

Comment

I use hot tap water out of the sprayer on the sink on my shot guns during waterfowl season, been doing it for years! Works better than anything else, blow it out and oil afterwards.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotag View Post
                          X2 Boiling water down the barrel after solvent gets it cleaner than any other method I have tried.

Comment

i've heard of boiling the bolt and stuff..never tried it though

Comment

Originally posted by Rotag View Post
                              x2 then I follow it with G96 and put her to bed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I use to boil all my guns in my armory when I was in the military prior to inspections. You just make sure you give them an oil bath after. I don't mean wipe them down I mean soak them in oil then wipe off. Works great!

Comment

Working...
                                X