No announcement yet.

Leupold CDS Turrets......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of using custom turrets I just use dope cards I place in my cap of my eyepiece cover. I have multiple cards for weather conditions, loads, and even locations. That way if you make a change to loads or the weather is a bit warmer you aren’t stuck with inaccurate turrets.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      My kestrel says otherwise. In person.
      Then you need to report that reading of 21in to NOAA, since it breaks the current world record low pressure reading by a lot.

Guinness records the following:
      "A figure of 870 millibar (25.69 in) was recorded on 12 Oct 1979 by the US Air Weather Service 483 km (300 miles) west of Guam in the Pacific Ocean in the eye of Super Typhoon Tip which involved wind speeds of 165 kts (305 km/h; 190 mph). Barometric pressure is the physical pressure exerted by all of the air above you."

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...etric-pressure

Nobody is hitting anything in that weather, unless they've got the muzzle pressed against it.

Comment

Lmao. Pressure change is FAR greater than that. Very low at high altitude. I was at 21-22ish at 8000’ if I recall.

I know you’re looking at what your data says. Try shooting in it. And it’s just beginning at 500. Go to 1000 or better.
        Slow&Steady - You are talking about a record at Sea Level. It changes with altitude.
        Last edited by captainsling; 02-19-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
          Then you need to report that reading of 21in to NOAA, since it breaks the current world record low pressure reading by a lot.

Guinness records the following:
          "A figure of 870 millibar (25.69 in) was recorded on 12 Oct 1979 by the US Air Weather Service 483 km (300 miles) west of Guam in the Pacific Ocean in the eye of Super Typhoon Tip which involved wind speeds of 165 kts (305 km/h; 190 mph). Barometric pressure is the physical pressure exerted by all of the air above you."

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...etric-pressure

Nobody is hitting anything in that weather, unless they've got the muzzle pressed against it.
          How it calculates it I’m not sure. But when I input my data my bullet was true. I agree it seemed low. But density altitude changes things a lot is the entire point here.

Comment

How it calculates it I’m not sure. But when I input my data my bullet was true. I agree it seemed low. But density altitude changes things a lot is the entire point here.
            Understood, but I believe that's covered under the altitude factor of ballistic input, not the pressure factor.

In any case, my question stands. Based on the bullet and muzzle velocity listed above, it appears that even at these environmental differences, a variation of 3 inches seems to be the maximum at 500 yards. Given that information, is that difference severe enough not to use a Leupold CDS system for ranges under 500 yards by splitting the difference in altitude, temperature, and pressure conditions you plan to encounter? By doing so, you would be, presumably, no more than 1.5 inches off due to adjustment inaccuracy related to environmental conditions.
            Last edited by Slow&Steady; 02-19-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
              Understood, but I believe that's covered under the altitude factor of ballistic input, not the pressure factor.

In any case, my question stands. Based on the bullet and muzzle velocity listed above, it appears that even at these environmental differences, a variation of 3 inches seems to be the maximum at 500 yards. Given that information, is that difference severe enough not to use a Leupold CDS system for ranges under 500 yards by splitting the difference in altitude, temperature, and pressure conditions you plan to encounter? By doing so, you would be, presumably, no more than 1.5 inches off due to adjustment inaccuracy related to environmental conditions.
              I think you’d be ok to a certain extent. Depending on the caliber and velocity obviously. In my opinion your biggest factor after that will be wind. So long as you can still adjust for that then I’d say go for it.

Also, I use bullet flight for my calculations. You either input pressure or altitude and tweak it from there. It’s not the easiest but it’s very accurate for me. I’m not saying I’m right and that it’s the end all be all. Just that it has worked well for me. And now I’m going to look into why it gives that reading lol

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. There may be something native to Kestrel that's unique like that. If it works for you it works for you. If you are driving rounds onto target, I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                  Instead of using custom turrets I just use dope cards I place in my cap of my eyepiece cover. I have multiple cards for weather conditions, loads, and even locations. That way if you make a change to loads or the weather is a bit warmer you aren’t stuck with inaccurate turrets.

Is there a computer program or App that you use to make your dope card. I like the thought of using the “dope” method. I also like the speed and simplicity of the cds system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                    Is there a computer program or App that you use to make your dope card. I like the thought of using the “dope” method. I also like the speed and simplicity of the cds system.

I’m wondering the same thing... And I just ordered my VX-6 with the CDS !! Can’t wait to start sending them down range

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post

there are multiple phone apps and online options for creating your dope cards. They about as accurate as the info you feed them and need to be verified at a couple distances and adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        there are multiple phone apps and online options for creating your dope cards. They about as accurate as the info you feed them and need to be verified at a couple distances and adjusted accordingly.

Ok sweet! Thank you. Still trying to figure if I want to go cds or with something like the Nikon x1000 moa.

Comment

You will find that until you get into the extremes (elevation differences, temperatures and distances) that it really isn’t that much difference, especially for the average hunter. Plus each click is still 1/4 MOA. If you are slightly off you can still dial up or down and the adjustments are still the same.

The CDS dials are a quick way to get you on target 90+ % of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sig Kilo 2400 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              You will find that until you get into the extremes (elevation differences, temperatures and distances) that it really isn’t that much difference, especially for the average hunter. Plus each click is still 1/4 MOA. If you are slightly off you can still dial up or down and the adjustments are still the same.

Cool man. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Agreed. I would be inclined to get a dial for my main hunting area and a second if I hunted CO or somewhere that had drastic elevation and BP variations from my norm.

Comment

Working...
                                X