Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal trailer weight/ 3/4 ton Truck TX??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    If the 5th wheel is for personal use and the tow vehicle is rated for the weight and under 26k gross, why would they need a class a?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have a class A exempt license... And under 26,001 GCWR you do not need anything but a Class C...

Comment

You will find that there is nothing sorrier, more worthless, more disorganized, or more corrupt than the DOT.

If the average American knew how much money that beuracracy costs them, they'd cry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        If the 5th wheel is for personal use and the tow vehicle is rated for the weight and under 26k gross, why would they need a class a?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        They wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          You will find that there is nothing sorrier, more worthless, more disorganized, or more corrupt than the DOT.

If the average American knew how much money that beuracracy costs them, they'd cry.
          Well said

Comment

It is not just the weight that you are loaded with, it is the weight that you are RATED to be carrying.

Fines will likely be very high, like over $2K. My uncle got caught on this carrying his tractor, and fines totaled $2800. They dismissed $2500 of them if he got his class A within X days. He did. He said 90% of the class A test involved air brake stuff which he will never use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
              As far as license goes.... as long as the truck and trailer GVWR when added together equals less than 26,001 lbs and the trailer weighs more than 10,000 lbs you're good to go...
              More than 10,000?
              Is that the trailer weight alone, or loaded?

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                More than 10,000?
                Is that the trailer weight alone, or loaded?
                GVWR of the trailer...

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                  What kind of trailer and what are you trying to tow and how often?
                  20 ft flatbed Gooseneck, it weighs 4,000 lbs and has two 7,000 lb axles.
                  I am hauling round bales.

Comment

See my PM

Comment

Legal trailer weight/ 3/4 ton Truck TX??

[emoji1318]this right here! You could add disorganized 10 more times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Believe they added any trailer with GVW over 10,000 requires CDL unless tagged farm. I know the horse trainers are going nuts over this as every living quarters trailer is over that and illegal to tag farm if going to shows with client horses. Our 3 horse slant which we could pull behind our F150 is rated over 10,000 and if not tagged farm it would require a CDL... you can go to DPS site absolutely nuts, I didn't believe it when I was first told till I looked it up
                        Last edited by friscopaint; 06-14-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

My business once got a ticket for $10,000 by the dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            Look inside your driver side door panel. There should be a sticker for your specific truck configuration showing gross vehicle weight. For your truck, I'd venture to say your max trailer weight is going to be somewhere around 11 to 13000 lb.

What is utterly ridiculous is American Tax paying citizens getting tickets for being slightly overweight yet I constantly see Mexicans that are Towing 2 vehicles behind a minivan, all of which they just bought at auction. I'd like to know how many of them get stopped by DPS.

Not entirely true. They can have three vehicles in combination as long as they're not over 65' in length.

It's funny though. They'll buy those cars at auction in Minnesota and drive it all the way to Panama and not break down. Some people with a nice car can't make it across the state without breaking down.

Comment

[QUOTE=2Lazy2P;13427475The tandem trailer I pull is 7000 lbs. .[/QUOTE]

DANG! I own a 24' bed all steel lowboy with tandem 7,500lb axels and she only weighs 3,500 empty.... What kinda trailer you pulling that weighs in empty at 7K?!?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                                Not entirely true. They can have three vehicles in combination as long as they're not over 65' in length.

It's funny though. They'll buy those cars at auction in Minnesota and drive it all the way to Panama and not break down. Some people with a nice car can't make it across the state without breaking down.
                                True... as long as the tow car weighs more than 2500 lbs empty...

Comment

Working...
                                X