New rifle build done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rifle build done.

Headed out in the morning to do some load development.

7 SAUM. Remington 700 short mag action, Bartlein #9 contour barrel 8 twist. (Barreled action done by APR) XLR Element chassis. Trigger tech trigger. Atlas bipod. Seekins Precision base and rings. Vortex Viper PST gen II scope. Break is a SilencerCo ASR break. Will be shooting through my SiCo Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet rig, why does the scope look canted down?

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japeatr View Post
        b/c OP is probably shooting at 1500-2000+ yds. (see copy/paste below explaining)

ELR — extreme long range — shooting requires holding for more elevation than any scope can dial in. One way to deal with this is through the use of a heavily-canted scope mount. Various options exist, most of which are adjustable so only the amount of additional angle needed has to be dialed in. Limiting that cant is desired since it raises the rear of the scope and can make getting a normal cheek weld difficult.

Comment

thanks for the explanation, I'm used to AR scopes canted up 20MOA

Comment

Originally posted by Japeatr View Post

Blake nailed it. It’s a 20 moa base so nothing too crazy, but because of the barrel not tapering it looks way closer in the front than you are probably use to seeing. My goat is to hit a 18x24” plate at 2,500 yards. It will be mostly used 600-1760 yards but the 2,500 is just a if I get the chance thing. Not sure why but it has a nice ring to it. LOL

Comment

Where are you shooting a mile?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                Where are you shooting a mile?

A crap price of land out by Marfa that a buddy has access to. It’s just a huge ranch someone has but there is a right of way cut strait as an arrow that goes almost 2,000 yards. I have only gone one time. My 308 wasn’t capable lol. I went one time with a borrowed 300 rum and made some hits. It was a blast so I want to do it more.

Comment

Took it out for barrel break in and to see what I could do. No load development done and it’s shooting sub .25 MOA. I loaded up 6 groups at 5 each stepping up .5 grain per group. The higher the charge the tighter the group. No signs of pressure so far. Started on the low end for info I found online. 59, 59.5, 60, 60.5, 61, 61.5 of h1000. Seating .02 off of the lands. I’ll post pics of the last 2 groups. This was this morning in San Antonio. 50 degrees and 17mph winds.

Only 4 in this group. I shot a fouler at another target because I had just cleaned the barrel.

Comment

Looking good. Must be nice to have access to a place like that. I have only gotten out to 1200 yards out at triple c once. Would love to go back out there but the cost is a bit high for day passes. Might consider a membership there once my APR TBH build is done and I have more of a reason to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                      Looking good. Must be nice to have access to a place like that. I have only gotten out to 1200 yards out at triple c once. Would love to go back out there but the cost is a bit high for day passes. Might consider a membership there once my APR TBH build is done and I have more of a reason to go.

I have a year round lease I can shoot out to 900 at. So that’s real handy. It’s just a 100 acre long rectangular field.

Comment

wow! it looks like it shoots great.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                          I have a year round lease I can shoot out to 900 at. So that’s real handy. It’s just a 100 acre long rectangular field.

We normally head up to Decatur and shoot at Fossil Pointe once a month. Keeps us shooting well out to 800 yards. Nice staff and price isn’t to bad.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                            Took it out for barrel break in and to see what I could do. No load development done and it’s shooting sub .25 MOA. I loaded up 6 groups at 5 each stepping up .5 grain per group. The higher the charge the tighter the group. No signs of pressure so far. Started on the low end for info I found online. 59, 59.5, 60, 60.5, 61, 61.5 of h1000. Seating .02 off of the lands. I’ll post pics of the last 2 groups. This was this morning in San Antonio. 50 degrees and 17mph winds.

Only 4 in this group. I shot a fouler at another target because I had just cleaned the barrel.

Groups look great! Are you monitoring velocities?

Comment

No. My old one is broken and have not bought one yet. Trying to decide what I want. It I’ll update once I have speed numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X