No announcement yet.

How long does rut last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I hear the rut in any given area always ends 2 days before the hunters for that area are able to get to the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
      From what I hear the rut in any given area always ends 2 days before the hunters for that area are able to get to the lease.
      ROTFLMAO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post

Comment

Depends on # of does in area. 3 months in some places. Peak of the rut is what your referring to.

Keep in mind, just because you see or don't see in person, does not mean thats the end all be all. 90% of activity happens in the woods or at night when hunters arent there to see

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Depends on # of does in area. 3 months in some places. Peak of the rut is what your referring to.

Keep in mind, just because you see or don't see in person, does not mean thats the end all be all. 90% of activity happens in the woods or at night when hunters arent there to see
            I realize this..But seeing a big mature buck go stupid and walk out right in front of my box blind knowing I was in there should mean the peak is here or past. So I was wondering how long the peak rut lasts. Like where we see big bucks chasing mid day.

And we have lots of doe in the area. lots.

Comment

Big bucks will chance mid day anytime they got a piece they are about to lock down. So this can happen for 1-3 months.

But the peak of the rut is when 25-30% of does are bred and usually lasts up to 2 weeks max.

TPWD has done studies on this go look them up. They are very similar year to year

If a doe is not bred first cycle, and she goes into 2 and 3 cycles and a big buck comes across her he will chase her just like her first cycle when she was in heat. They are just normally not doing much searching that late in the season, but she will get bred by some buck

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                Big bucks will chance mid day anytime they got a piece they are about to lock down. So this can happen for 1-3 months.

But the peak of the rut is when 25-30% of does are bred and usually lasts up to 2 weeks max.

TPWD has done studies on this go look them up. They are very similar year to year

If a doe is not bred first cycle, and she goes into 2 and 3 cycles and a big buck comes across her he will chase her just like her first cycle when she was in heat. They are just normally not doing much searching that late in the season, but she will get bred by some buck
                Good answer after that 2 week it gets strung out but it will go almost tell horns fall..

Comment

Interesting reading there. I hunt western Val Verde/eastern Terrell County and they have it listed as western Edwards Plateau in the study. However, they are also considered the Trans Pecos area as well. Doesn't really matter, but the dates for peak rut activity in the study were either Dec. or Dec. 8. Looking back, those are the exact dates I've killed my bigger bucks. The largest have actually come AFTER that date by at least a week. There's something about the middle of December, I'm assuming the "second rut" that I like to really get after it.

Comment

Working...
                  X