Decided to go Trad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to go Trad.

So, I stuck my toe into the world of traditional archery, again. I say again cause I started when I was 12 using a stick. I bought a used recurve and would like some guidance about things from technique to must have practices and instinct shooting. I've been shooting compounds for the last 25 years. So practicing without using a peep and sight will be strange. Advice on if this is a good beginning bow?

Thanks
    Attached Files

I believe that bow is made by Shakespeare right? If so I think they're good bows. I have one and I like it. I'd go back and read the sticky thread at the top of the trad forum called "what you need to get started". Lots of good info. then any specific questions you have there's a lot of guys on here who will help. Be careful. It's addictive.

Comment

CRM pretty well hit it. Arrow tune id EXTREMLY important and teaching your muscles to hold the full draw weight. Start you practice up close, I mean really close until you are putting together solid groupings, and then increase yardage, VERY SLOWLY. As you know with a compound form is essential, but it is even more so here. something solid and repeatable. from the way you draw, anchor, release and follow through. Read the sticky's and don't get discouraged.

Comment

Stump shootin...lots of stump shootin.
        Read the stickies, start at about 10 yds

Comment

That bow is the same bow I started with when I first started getting into bowhunting, and it's a good one.

I'd had other bows before it, but mostly fiberglass, and cheap kids bows like you see (or used to see) in the scout programs. That little Shakespeare will do you right, as long as you do it right.

As far as technique is concerned, I recommend you learn to gap shoot using the arrow as a site. Trust me, once you get that technique nailed down the instinctive part will come naturally to you as time progresses.

As flywise recommended - read the stickies at the top of the forum. There's a wealth of knowledge & information there for you to draw from.

Rick

Comment

That bow will work for you just fine. If your interested in instinctively shooting you have a long bumpy road ahead. It’s well worth the hardships once it all starts clicking. The most important thing I’ve found is don’t try to duplicate someone else’s form. Figure out what works for you. I agree with Rick on gap though it just wouldn’t work for me because I cannot seem to find comfort with three under. Look up Jeff Kavanaugh on YouTube.

Comment

You can gap shoot while shooting split finger. Many do.
              I did for many years.

The only style that places a demand for 3under is if you are string walking.

I didn't switch to 3under until around 2007 or 2008.
              Up until that time I always shot split finger, and I gap shot, or shot split vision.

There are variations in gap shooting. Some use only the arrow. Some use the riser of the bow, and some use both.

I generally use both:
              Arrow for windage.
              Riser for elevation.

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X