No announcement yet.

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you get fat adapted, you will be surprised at how long you will without feeling hungry. Some days I have to force myself to eat to meet daily intake needs.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
      Once you get fat adapted, you will be surprised at how long you will without feeling hungry. Some days I have to force myself to eat to meet daily intake needs.
      So true. I drink that coffee the morning and am never hungry at lunch. If I have a few bites at dinner and walk away, I won't go back and finish.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
        I watched some of the videos and if I ate like that I would starve.
        What are you real folks eating?
        I work construction so I'm kinda limited what I can eat at lunch and I usually can't eat again until 7pm.
        I only need to drop 20- 25 lbs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
        I eat constantly, about 3500 calories per day right now... so much so I have a reputation at work. What videos did you watch?

Comment

Lose it app is doing it for me! 10 lbs lost in two weeks.

Comment

Breakfast if I'm in a hurry is 50 grams whey protein shake with 1/4 cup heavy cream, if I have time I'll scramble 6 whole eggs and two slices bacon and throw a little cheese in there but not too much (gotta watch the dairy). From there on I wing the rest of the day, it's going to be 8oz chicken breast + 1/3 cup almonds, or 1/2 lb moist brisket + as much broccoli as I can stand before I want to puke (which ain't much), or 12 dry rub chicken wings w/blue cheese (careful with the dip most have way too many carbs) + celery. If I can get 6 meals in per day I will, otherwise it's 5 unless I overate at a previous meal then it's impossible for me to eat them all just don't have enough room. If the wife cooks then I end up having all sorts of concoctions but I tend to treat them as "fat sources" and add some chicken breast and greens to them.

*I am not losing weight right now, but I don't eat too terribly much less when I want to shed the lbs, about 750 calories fewer (roughly 1 meal depending) per day and I actually only eat foods I can track (ie not the wife's stuff).
            Last edited by justletmein; 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I work construction so I'm kinda limited what I can eat at lunch and I usually can't eat again until 7pm.

It doesn't make sense until you are on it... When you aren't in ketosis, much of your "hunger" is simply a drop in blood sugar. It isn't because you don't have enough energy, simply your body addicted to glucose.

When in Keto, I don't ever really get "hungry" at all. Your body kicks the glucose habit, and switches to a MUCH more stable energy source... fat. You don't get the energy drops between meals, and often times I have no problem going without eating for 8 or 9 hours.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but it was what I experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, as far as food at work...
                I pack 3 days worth of food (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in an insulated bag for work. No fridge, no microwave.
                I use a hot plate in an insulated bag called "Hot Logic"

If you have access to a 110 outlet, you have a warm meal. You can heat up food in just about any container. Grab yourself a small cooler, an ice pack, and you are set. Home cooked food is better anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Assuming you are talking about some of the Intermediate Fasting videos....you won't starve.
                  The first 2 or 3 days of intermediate fasting...yes you will get hungry, but after you adapt to it, it will be noon and you won't even have realized it. The hardest part for me is not having my morning cup of coffee. But after a week no coffee in the morning i'm used to it.

As far as the hours, you can do them however you want. So long as it is a 16 hour period of no eating. You can change it to only eat from noon (lunch) to 8 (supper)....basically you are only skipping breakfast & morning coffee. Or if you MUST have morning coffee & breakfast then only eat from 6-2 or 7-3.
                  Also, you don't have to do it every week. I started out doing it every other week. I saw results, and i have a goal weight to reach by a certain date so now i'm doing intermediate fasting 2 weeks on 1 week off.

Also, if you are doing Keto, there are TONS of online video recipes. I literally mean thousands. You have as many choices on keto as you do not doing keto as most things can be substituted (riced cauliflower & cheese vs. mashed potatoes & cheese)

Comment

Anyone have a recipe for a pizza dough other than fathead dough? I don't know why, but I don't like it at all. Like it makes me want to puke. Any flour besides almond that have worked?

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                      Assuming you are talking about some of the Intermediate Fasting videos....you won't starve.
                      The first 2 or 3 days of intermediate fasting...yes you will get hungry, but after you adapt to it, it will be noon and you won't even have realized it. The hardest part for me is not having my morning cup of coffee. But after a week no coffee in the morning i'm used to it.

As far as the hours, you can do them however you want. So long as it is a 16 hour period of no eating. You can change it to only eat from noon (lunch) to 8 (supper)....basically you are only skipping breakfast & morning coffee. Or if you MUST have morning coffee & breakfast then only eat from 6-2 or 7-3.
                      Also, you don't have to do it every week. I started out doing it every other week. I saw results, and i have a goal weight to reach by a certain date so now i'm doing intermediate fasting 2 weeks on 1 week off.

Also, if you are doing Keto, there are TONS of online video recipes. I literally mean thousands. You have as many choices on keto as you do not doing keto as most things can be substituted (riced cauliflower & cheese vs. mashed potatoes & cheese)
                      When you're doing IF do you get crazy excited energy rush all the way up to the 1st meal? Seems like my system goes into overdrive until I eat.

Comment

I mostly referring to the vegetables choices and fruit. I really don't like any fruit and just the basic viggies. Beans patatos corn spinach rice .
                        Is there somewhere that has a list of all the stuff you can and can't have?
                        I'm also hypoglycemic when my blood sugar drops I get the shakes and jetters real bad until I eat something sweet. Will that be a problem or will the diet level it out.
                        What app are y'all using, I have an Android phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                          Carbs slow me down. Maybe its just genetic and I am not of a people who can tolerate a lot of carbs.
                          Were you that way before going on the diet? I've read a bit over the years on different diets... have had friends do this, or that, or the other. What I hear and read, when you break it down to the basic statement is the following:

Getting into Ketosis often times makes you feel like crap
                          Coming out of Ketosis often times makes you feel like crap

As if the body doesn't like being thrashed from one extreme to the other. I mean, it kinda makes sense . Your body can adapt... but sudden changes often aren't comfortable.

For me, I suffer when I ignore carbs in my diet, I suffer when I ignore protein, and I suffer when I ignore fat. Each suffering has its own implications. When I ignore carbs... I just don't have the get up and go and I lack the endurance if I convince myself to go anyways. When I ignore the protein... I just don't have the strength and recovery. When I ignore the fat... I just feel depleted.

But the genetic thing does make me wonder. When I eat nothing but carbs... I feel light as air. I can get going. A bag of pretzels for a snack gives me energy and I don't feel like I just stomached a lead weight. I feel like I can burn though it quickly. However, at the end of a day, I feel like I need a glass of milk. Something to help me relax and recover. I don't need to be going anywhere... just relaxing. But some people are lactose intolerant.. and can't stomach gluten... so that would throw that whole thing out the window...

Comment

Were you that way before going on the diet?

Yes. Always been that way. No so much with fruit or carbs in juice but definitely in things made with flour. We know that people derived from certain ancient cultures that were late to domesticate cattle are more prone to lactose intolerance. I was just wondering if possibly the same could be said for people derived from certain ancient cultures who never cultivated wheats and grains on a large scale. Just a thought.

Comment

I mostly referring to the vegetables choices and fruit. I really don't like any fruit and just the basic viggies. Beans patatos corn spinach rice .
                              Is there somewhere that has a list of all the stuff you can and can't have?
                              I'm also hypoglycemic when my blood sugar drops I get the shakes and jetters real bad until I eat something sweet. Will that be a problem or will the diet level it out.
                              What app are y'all using, I have an Android phone.

MyFitnessPal or Livestrong

As for the blood sugar, I've heard from many people the problems level out and go away. Seems like this diet/lifestyle is usually well accepted by diabetics as well. Obviously talk to your doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                                Were you that way before going on the diet?

Yes. Always been that way. No so much with fruit or carbs in juice but definitely in things made with flour. We know that people derived from certain ancient cultures that were late to domesticate cattle are more prone to lactose intolerance. I was just wondering if possibly the same could be said for people derived from certain ancient cultures who never cultivated wheats and grains on a large scale. Just a thought.
                                Possible. I wonder about adaptation in general. Genetics that allow you the ability to adapt. Even on this thread, I hear about folks who can't eat breakfast in the morning. It makes em nauseous, etc. I can wake up, eat a bowl of bran cereal and be good to go. When I was riding a bike 100 miles a day, I'd eat cereal and then drive to where I was going to ride and ride and be fine. When I switched up to riding from my front door... the first few times, I would feel pretty funky after eating a bowl of cereal and milk and then start exercising 10 minutes later. But it didn't take long before I could do that without any ill effect. But I had buddies that would ask for me to slow down because they just ate an hour before... and I had eaten a big fat bowl of cereal and milk 10 minutes prior.

Although... there was one adaptation that went the other way. Fructose. I would be in high intensity races and needed to supplement energy/hydration in the middle. You know, a basic 2 hour road race at 26mph. Well, half way through, I'd drink an energy drink and boy, that doesn't sit well at that high of intensity. A teammate of mine who raced 4 hour races at the same intensity, upon hearing my problems, asked me why the hell I needed sugar and that much electrolytes for a 2 hour race. He said something that rang out pretty true... he said you need to train for less and adapt. So I swapped out the energy drinks and just drank plenty of water. It didn't take terribly long before I could leave for a 100 mile ride with nothing but a coupe bottles of water (refill water only throughout) and maybe 300 calories worth of food for a 3,000 calorie ride. My body could handle the deficit in the moment. I wouldn't feel hunger, I wouldn't feel terrible. After the ride, I needed carbs for sure. I needed to allow my body to quickly repair itself for the next days ahead.

What I notice now... is if I snack too much... that is, if I get into a pattern where I eat 7 times a day... my body expects 7 meals. But if I stick to 3, or 4, or whatever... it will adapt and those hunger pains/bonks/crashes/etc eventually go away.

Comment

Working...
                                X