No announcement yet.

Critique this Protein Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think spillage will be an issue if im seeing it right. Looks like the feed port is maybe 2” below the actual opening inside the feeder. If thats the case, I think it will work. The coons might be a concern, be interesting to see. Fill it up and try it out. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Is it possible to have the lid on a track type system so you can lift and slide. Keeps you from having to remove every time.
      Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
        Is it possible to have the lid on a track type system so you can lift and slide. Keeps you from having to remove every time.
        Looks great
        You will be able to lift and slide it back, it doesn't have to come all the way off if you're filling it by yourself.

Keep the critiques coming fellas. One of you mentioned the deer being skittish at facing a wall, I haven't experienced that with the other feeders I have built in the past. They all have about the same clearance as these do as far as distance from side to end of spout.

Comment

My son built me some almost exactly like it. They work well, they can't stay on top of the spouts built like that but can rake it out. He's fixing to build me something to keep the coons out but hasn't got the design yet. They don't get to much so it's not a big concern. How big are the openings? Mine are 5x5 and they eat out of them just fine. The only thing I see is the bottom front of the openings has a dam instead of an angled lip. Mine get soggy protein built up in them and with the angled lip I can shove a spatula in it and clean them out in about three seconds. I also have a few small holes drilled in the bottom to let water escape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	24584723

Comment

Cool! How heavy is it?

Comment

How heavy is the lid?

Comment

Looks good.

Can’t really tell how much room is there from the pic....The only thing I could see that may or may not be an issue is if a bigger rack buck will have a hard time getting his nose into the feed straight on or other wise.
                I know deer like to eat so, they’ll find a way to get it. Lol

Just throwing it out there...It’s actually a cool design thought and looks clean.

Comment

I will critique it, but I must field test it first!

Comment

Lid weighs about 50 lbs, the whole feeder probably weighs 300-325 lbs.

Comment

Nice job

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Nicely done.... Coons are just part of feeding protein free choice unless you have CoonHoods or a timed protein feeder. Contact Hayden with CoonHoods. He will custom build you hoods if its possible for that design.

Comment

I think I’ll get in touch with them tomorrow

Comment

I think the spouts need to be bigger, especially to maximize consumption. Deer will have a hard time getting in those. Also larger exotics won’t be able to. Also think deer won’t like eating that close to a wall with lack of visibility. Like the inside of the feeder, looks like won’t have problem with caking up on the sides. .

Comment

Spouts look too close to the box, like bucks will damage their antlers trying to eat from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
                                I'm not worried about the sturdiness, it will be more than fine there. I went with minimal crossmembers and kept them low so coons can't stand on them to get closer to the spout. It's 40" to the bottom of the spouts, so about 37" or so if one were to stand on the crossmember to reach up there. Then, the legs are 18" from the side of the spouts. I'm just wondering if yall think they will be able to get to the spout from the ground. If they get there from the legs I have something in my head for the next ones that will erase that option
                                My 500# ASF has 15.5" wide ports. I have it 38" to bottom of port.
                                Got video of coons jumping right in the ports. Looks like a cat jumping in.
                                They actually lay inside them!

I built some custom coon guards and ain't had a problem with coons since. But...... The deer aren't hitting them as well either.

I think I have the springs too loose making them wobble too much. Maybe spooking the deer ????

My Boss Buck has 4" ports, I believe. Its also 38". Since putting 4" PVC on the legs, no coon probs.

Your feeder looks good to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X