Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree about the Little Red....

Comment

Is the Little Red useable in a boat, or just wading like a traditional trout stream?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
        Gaston’s all the way! Don’t bother hauling your boat, they have boats there to use if you are staying with them. Excellent water front restaurant that will clean and cook your catch for dinner. If you have never been to the White before, I really recommend staying at Gaston’s at least your first trip. We fly in 5-6 times a year sometimes just for dinner and a scenic flight
        Agree, have gone there since the mid 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
          Is the Little Red useable in a boat, or just wading like a traditional trout stream?
          The Little Red is easily navigable with a jet boat. Some of the shoals can be tricky on low water, but the same could be said for some shoals on the White and Norfork (at times).

I'd suggest staying somewhere where you can put in on the White and motor up the Norfork. That would also put you close enough to Bull Shoals or Norfork Lake to go on a half day Striper/Hybrid trip. You could stay at Buffalo City and motor up the Buffalo to bass fish. It's probably 7 miles upriver to Ranchette (Crooked Creek) from there and I'd guess 10 mile down to where Nofork comes in. I'm a little partial to where I live (a little further east), but that area is a game & fish paradise.

I'd look at coming up spring or early fall to really enjoy the weather, but being on any of our rivers in summer will be a welcome escape from the hellish Texas heat, regardless.

It'll be different than Colorado fishing (bigger water & fish) but the premise is the same. Light lines and good drifts will put fish in the boat!

Comment

I've fished the white a few times from a drift boat with Jim Traylor. We fished first couple miles from the dam down with shad colored streamers on long leaders with split shots. We caught fish both trips but it's not the easiest rig to cast for me but I'm terrible at fly fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Found out yesterday the guide we used last time is fly rod only. Oh well.

With this talk on small mouth, where could one find a place to catch a few? My 16 year old is dying to catch a smallie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

With this talk on small mouth, where could one find a place to catch a few? My 16 year old is dying to catch a smallie

I don't know but I'll ask my friend who has a house on table rock who he recommends. Do you have a lake preference?

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                  I don't know but I'll ask my friend who has a house on table rock who he recommends. Do you have a lake preference?
                  We're staying on the white just down from where the crooked creek enters and will have kayaks. Whatever we could do with that.

Comment

Buffalo River and Crooked Creek are great for Smallmouth. Buffalo Rivers is a nice little rafting trip.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

We're staying on the white just down from where the crooked creek enters and will have kayaks. Whatever we could do with that.

No guide recommendation but did say that the buffalo outdoor center offers a shuttle service on the upper Buffalo which is where the better smallmouth water is. Sorry not more help.

Comment

Headed up there the weekend after next for yearly trip.
                        We put in at Reds landing just down river from Norfork.
                        We stay at Tall pines resort. Nice cabins not far from boat launch. The manager Ed is a great guy, known him for a long time.
                        Fishing there is easy. We drift fish using a single or double spinner with earthworm on the hook, split shot around 16 inches from spinner. Depending on how the river is flowing may have to adjust shot weight as you want the shot to be slightly bouncing along river bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                          Buffalo River and Crooked Creek are great for Smallmouth. Buffalo Rivers is a nice little rafting trip.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
                          We floated the buffalo last time but didnt fish. Beautiful river
                          Originally posted by rvd View Post
                          No guide recommendation but did say that the buffalo outdoor center offers a shuttle service on the upper Buffalo which is where the better smallmouth water is. Sorry not more help.
                          Shuttle services is been a deal we have worried about. I've found plenty of places to launch and take out but getting too and fro. Even joked about buying a moped

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                            I've fished the white a few times from a drift boat with Jim Traylor. We fished first couple miles from the dam down with shad colored streamers on long leaders with split shots. We caught fish both trips but it's not the easiest rig to cast for me but I'm terrible at fly fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Full sink it the best fly line to use on the White. Nothing like casting big streamers on the White

Comment

I've been told that October and February are the best big fish months on the White and Norfolk, but I've never been there that time of year. The last time I went, it was March, and we floated the catch and release area just down from the dam with white foam flies and did real well on nice rainbows and browns.

Comment

We stay at Norfork River Resort. It's located where the Norfork flows into the White so you can fish either river. Great Cabins and they rent boats.

Comment

Working...
                                X