White River Arkansas fishing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White River Arkansas fishing???

Looking to do a trip up to the White, or if suggested, another good trout river in Arkansas with my Dad and brother. I will soon have a jet outboard on my boat and have thought about trying a DIY trip as that seems to be what everyone uses up there and seem to do well. Anyone have in insight on where to go and access areas? I've always heard of Gaston's, but have never been up there. Also, what is the best time of year to go up to that area? Have 20 yrs of experience going to Colorado fishing, so not new to trout and how to catch them, just never tried them in Arkansas..... TIA

Gaston’s all the way! Don’t bother hauling your boat, they have boats there to use if you are staying with them. Excellent water front restaurant that will clean and cook your catch for dinner. If you have never been to the White before, I really recommend staying at Gaston’s at least your first trip. We fly in 5-6 times a year sometimes just for dinner and a scenic flight

Comment

It's a great area and nice place to fish.

Atthewall and Uncle Saggy off here are actually there fishing right now. Might check with them in a couple days and get a report.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Rainbow Drive Lodge in Cotter is awesome

We are here and doing pretty good. The cabins and accommodations are as good if not better than the fishing

Comment

Where's the pics?? Is atthewall sick?? He should have 100 awesome trout pics by now!![emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
              Gaston’s all the way! Don’t bother hauling your boat, they have boats there to use if you are staying with them. Excellent water front restaurant that will clean and cook your catch for dinner. If you have never been to the White before, I really recommend staying at Gaston’s at least your first trip. We fly in 5-6 times a year sometimes just for dinner and a scenic flight
              Ditto on Gastons. Only been there once but it was great

Comment

We're going in 2 weeks and have a house rented on the river just below cotter.

Several years ago we slammed the rainbows floating and then casted for browns. Were gonna hook up with the same guide for a day and kayak the rest

I can't wait

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Love the White. I stay at a place in Bull Shoals right near the state park called Copper Johns. It is actually right down the road from Gastons. Nice cabins, less than $60 per day for the smaller ones right on the river, and if you pay for 3 days the 4th is free.

It is less than 3 minutes away from the state park which has 2 launches on the river, if you take your boat. There is also a fly shop on the grounds of CJ.

In full disclosure on the cabins, they are not like a hotel/motel in that there is no restrooms in the smaller ones. But they do have a common restroom/shower area at the top of the hill, along with a full kitchen, grills, smokers and a fryer if you want to cook your own food. All they ask if for you to clean up after yourself. And when I say cabins on the river, I literally mean on the river. The 2 at the bottom of the hill are about 9 steps from the water.

I took my wife there in March and she seems to really enjoy it. It is also about 25 minutes away from the Norfolk river and fish hatchery. I highly recommend going there and checking out Dry Run Creek. There is also a state parka area with a boat launch. And the Norfolk has one of the highest trout densities per mile of any river in the US.

I haven't been to any other place along the White, so I cannot compare for you, but for me I really like waking up, throwing on my waders and less than a minute later being belly deep throwing for those world famous Browns!

Copperjohnsresort.com
                  870 431 4454

Comment

Rainbow drive resort was great.
                    They have a tackle shop, boat rentals, and grill's at the cabin. Just don't need much else.

Drift some powerbait to quickly catch lunch and dinner and then search for the big fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                      Where's the pics?? Is atthewall sick?? He should have 100 awesome trout pics by now!![emoji2]

Or enough service to post pics
                      Don’t worry though, he’ll blow the bandwidth in a day or two

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

That ain’t no joke

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

Yep just wait for it.....

Comment

We stay at a place called Rim Shoals, it’s similar to how Copper Johns was described above. I think they have a website. Nice place and reasonably priced. My dad loves it so much he is wanting to retire there.

Comment

The White is good for drifting, but for scenary and fly fishing I prefer the Little Red below Greers Ferry. There are some good places around Heber Springs.
                              Personally, I prefer fishing for smallmouth in the cool rivers and creeks. They aren't near as finicky about flies. Of course, if you just want to catch trout you can use whole kernal corn or powerbait.

Comment

Working...
                              X