No announcement yet.

21 y/o son can't find a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the leads. I will pass them on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
      That's good TP3, are you 21with limited experience?
      I would guess he started with a job, worked hard and moved up. Too many 21 year olds don’t want to follow this plan. I would hire 30 people tomorrow if I could get that many to show up for interviews.

Comment

If anyone knows of someone in SA wanting to work landscape PM me I need someone asap

Comment

Career choices narrow down the jobs for those who want to work at a certain job. Not many youngsters want to really work anymore, and lots of them in their thirties ain't worth a crap at what they do, but hold a job anyway because people need positions filled. I come from the construction industry (excavation) and half the equipment operators working today I wouldn't have hired. At no other time in my life have I seen more incompetence than right now.

The last part has nothing to do with the OP, just an observation....

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
            I am currently in operations management. I literally cant interview and hire enough people. I probably push through 20-30 interviews a week trying to get people in. My problem is everyone wants to work 8-5 Mon-Fri and make 100k a year.......
            When can I start? (You are offering the above right??)

Comment

My advice would be go to school. He is still young enough where he won't feel out of place. Any degree is better than no degree at all, especially if he does not have work experience.

Comment

Thanks KyleW that's exactly the direction I'm trying to get him to see.

Comment

Were you having this conversation with him when he was 18 or just having it now? Sounds like he needs to do both, IMO.

By 21 if he doesn’t have a degree or job experience he’s telling lots of employers that he’s not up for much of a commitment.

Hope the story tells otherwise.

Comment

Learn a trade. Couple years of school and he'll have NO problem getting a job.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

What background or experience does he have? What schooling would he be interested in?

Comment

No excuses to not find a job. He must not want to work. Fast food. Walmart. Whatever. There’s someone who will hide him if he really wants a job. Gotta start somewhere. Shoulda had him get a job at 16 and learn to work any job. Oil and gas is hiring like crazy. Construction. Painters. Dang near everyone is hiring.

Comment

Sounds like my BIL. He’s 27 now and hasn’t had a job in 5 years. Tells his parents, my in-laws, that no one is hiring and he’s applying with no call backs. I know companies that I refer to him hire people daily. Problem is he doesn’t want a job. mainly bc they keep footing his billls and “allowing” him to be a lazy POS.I hope you can right the ship soon with your son. If not, he’ll end up job hopping for ever making minimum wage. So many have said it already, kids his age and up to my BIL want a Tuesday thru Thursday, 10 to 2 job with a 100k salary. Have no want to or will to get out there and eat their hands dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                              Sounds like my BIL. He’s 27 now and hasn’t had a job in 5 years. Tells his parents, my in-laws, that no one is hiring and he’s applying with no call backs. I know companies that I refer to him hire people daily. Problem is he doesn’t want a job. mainly bc they keep footing his billls and “allowing” him to be a lazy POS.I hope you can right the ship soon with your son. If not, he’ll end up job hopping for ever making minimum wage. So many have said it already, kids his age and up to my BIL want a Tuesday thru Thursday, 10 to 2 job with a 100k salary. Have no want to or will to get out there and eat their hands dirty.

Same here, mine goes to interviews once every couple weeks. He gets hired on and two weeks later quits and is interviewing again. I don’t understand but if my sister does then there is nothing I can do... I like him just can’t figure that part out.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                Career choices narrow down the jobs for those who want to work at a certain job. Not many youngsters want to really work anymore, and lots of them in their thirties ain't worth a crap at what they do, but hold a job anyway because people need positions filled. I come from the construction industry (excavation) and half the equipment operators working today I wouldn't have hired. At no other time in my life have I seen more incompetence than right now.

The last part has nothing to do with the OP, just an observation....
                                Remember who is the generation that raised them and taught them

Comment

Working...
                                X