The Mule Deer buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mule Deer buck

We had been watching this guy for the last four years. Saw him our second year at this lease and he had split G2's on both sides and got his name The Mule Deer buck. The first year we saw him and this year were the only years he threw splits on both sides. The last two year's he was officially on the no shoot list (the first pic is from last year) and it made for a long couple of years watching him and hoping he didn't go on to another pasture and get shot.
    I had decided last year that this year I would try for him with a bow as I had only killed management bucks up until now with my bow. I hunted every weekend and the entire first week of October in my hot box of a bow blind but never saw him. At that time, the last pictures I had of him were from early September but he typically would show up around Thanksgiving every year and hang close by thru January. Fast forward to last week and I had the second half of the week off and got to the lease on Tuesday afternoon, too late to hunt. Wednesday morning I was back at it with my bow and had I doe feeding right after I sat down. That morning was calm, overcast and very quite until I heard a buck start grunting. A little 8 jumped in the feeder pen and ran straight to her and out the pen closest to me. I noticed another deer following and when I looked thru the binos I knew it was Muley. I reached over, grabbed my bow, hooked on, spun in the chair and drew as he walked into my opening at 20 yards. He was looking towards the blind perfectly broadside as I shot. He mule kicked, trotted off and my arrow went about 60 yards into my field. All of this from the time I saw him to the shot was about 15 sec. It happed QUICK!! I gave him an hour and started trailing him, about 40 yards into the woods I found him, that's when it sunk in that I actually killed the deer that we had been watching for years, with my bow just like I wanted to.
    Attached Files

Toad!!! Congrats on the great buck.

Comment

Congrats, beautiful animal!

Comment

Congrats on a really neat buck!

Comment

Awesome buck. I like the looks of that rack!!! Big congrats!!!!

Comment

wow congrats

Comment

Great buck congrats

Comment

for sure his momma was a mule deer! (always makes me think of the movie "short circuit")

this is why 90% of the time in a stand I have my bow in hand. crazy i know. it just can be quick! great job

Comment

Wow! What a deer.

Comment

wow! congrats

Comment

That's an awesome buck, congrats.

Comment

Thanks guys, I haven't had him officially scored but rough score he is in the 170s.

Comment

Toad . . . . .great deer!

Comment

Pretty Buck. Congrats

Comment

That is one heck of a buck. Big Congratulations!!

Comment

Working...
                              X